Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does Melatonin Work? (Read 8226 times)
Melvyn
CH.com Veteran

We all need to relax sometimes,
somehow.

|Yeovil|England|europe|
Does Melatonin Work?
Jun 9th, 2008 at 1:09pm

During my last episode I tried Melatonin - 9mgs at night. Did this because it was recommended as the first line of defence in the Todd Rozen article and hey it worked. Within two days no more CH just some mild shadows. uring the five month cycle I stopped the Mel twice and each time the Beast made an immediate return until the third time when the cycle was over.

When my latest cycle started about six weeks ago I reached for the Melatonin I had bought a couple of years back and - you guessed it - no effect. The Beast kept coming with a vengance. Then my wife checked the 'use by date' on the bottle. They were out of date. I sent off for more - can't buy them over the counter anymore in England - the European Union banned them.

Finally my new Melatonin arrived - day before yesterday. Took my usual 9mgs and guess what no more Ch - been PF for two days now have not been PF for even one day in my cylce - early days I know but  it seems to be working again.

Thank God for Todd Rozen and Melatonin - if you're trying it make sure it is fresh. It doesn't work for everyone I know and even where it works once there is no guarantee it will work on a later cycle - but worth the try. Will update again on how it's going.

PF days to all.

regards,

Melvyn Wink

Melvyn

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Does Melatonin Work?
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 11:45am

The freshness issue is a new bit of info for me because most meds we use are no so time sensitive. BUT, what's important is that it works for you -- and at such low cost!

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 4:22pm

I've been using it for about five or six years now, it works really well for me.  I even take it out of cycle (much lower does) in order to help me sleep.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This is what I've been using for the last two years.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Melvyn
CH.com Veteran

somehow.

|Yeovil|England|europe|
Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 3:35pm

Hi,

said I would keep you updated - been on the Mel since June 7th. A bit up and down but never more than one hit in a day - usually manageable - and some days PF.
PF free for last five consecutive days - except odd shadow - felt so good on Monday I tried a beer - usually a signal for a kip 10 within 5 to 10 minutes - had four cans of beer and no CH.

Here's hoping that it continues PF

regards,

Melvyn

Melvyn

IP Logged

Lawmandave
CH.com Junior

If you want peace, prepare
for war!!!

Johnstown, Pa
Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 4:29pm

Just got a bottle!!! Going to give 'er a shot and will keep you posted!!!  I'm three weeks in on my bout with no signs of slowing down now, so its a good time to test it out!!!

Lawmandave  
IP Logged

Giovanni
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Cary|USA|usa|472|185|NC,North_Carolina
Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 9:05pm

Worked for me really well the first couple times, then stopped unfortunately.  I might give it another try with a different/fresh batch.

John

IP Logged

Trooper
CH.com Veteran

I ain't skeert!

x0|mckinney|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 11:16pm

I used Melatonin on my cycle in 2006 when I first heard of it. The Melatonin along with Red Bull worked really well that year! In 2007 it was of no use to me, and then I tried it again this year with no luck. Undecided

I am currious to know which brand people use. Is it a pill form a capsule? (I think the Brand I was using was Natures Bounty)

True just because something worked one time does not mean it will work the next time. The flip side of this is that if it worked one time there is a good chance it will eventually work again.  Smiley

IP Logged

Melvyn
CH.com Veteran

somehow.

|Yeovil|England|europe|
Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 4:55am

Hi All,

I get mine from the Agestop site - called Biovea. They seem to sell various types, like slow release etc. I use the straightforward Melatonin no additives I buy the 180 3mg  cap bottle which works out at a reasonable price.

regards,

Melvyn
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2008 at 2:19pm by Melvyn »  

Melvyn

IP Logged

Boyce
CH.com Junior

x1|Columbus|USA|usa|387|151|IN,Indiana
Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 12:24pm

I use melatonin at night.  mix 12mg melatonin, with 25 mg benadryl and 40 mg Relpax and I have yet to have a hit at night with that routine.

No Pressure, No Diamond
stattenfield  
IP Logged

Melvyn
CH.com Veteran

somehow.

|Yeovil|England|europe|
Reply #9 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 4:53pm

Hi Guys,

another update - still haven't had a hit worthy of the name - slight shadows and absolutely no nightime hits.

Have even reverted to drinking beer - What's the worst scenario in the world - an alcoholic with CH.

I'm pretty certain the Mel has nailed it for me this time - I say that because I'm looking forward to each day again. My hobby  (passion really} is horse riding and now when I'm on my way to the yard to see my boy I smile knowing that I am going to enjoy a beautiful ride in the Somerset countryside as opposed to getting hit by the beast/

Won't post again unless you have any questions or comments or my condition changes.

regards and PF days

Melvyn Smiley

Melvyn

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!