Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm new-husband has ch, this is whats going on (Read 1804 times)
TRG
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

I'm new-husband has ch, this is whats going on
Jun 10th, 2008 at 10:47am

My husband has been having the headaches between 6-8 pm for three weeks now. We knew they were clusters because our brother-in-law suffers from them. The neuro put him on the following:
25 mg topamax
240 mg verapamil
20 mg imitrex
Did that last Fri, Sat and Sun. (had to use two doses of the imitrex Sun. nite)
Called neuro. yesterday morn. because used up his 4 doses of imitrex for the week.
She said to start taking 2 each of the meds and she would order him some oxygen.
He used the oxygen last nite, three different times. The first time only used it for about 5 minutes and it was gone. Then had to use it again about 45 minutes later.   He then fell asleep but had to use it again about 1 hour later. Then went to sleep and slept rest of the night.
He seemed to feel better this morning. Said head wasn't hurting as much, not as sore and he didn't feel as nervous, etc.
I am a little concerned about using the oxygen, the dr. didn't really tell us how long to use it. I have been reading info. on this site, do you use it for a little while longer after the first headache goes away to keep future ones from coming on?

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: I'm new-husband has ch, this is whats going on
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 11:29am

The top. and verap. take several days to become effective and then, after the initial trial period, dosing may have to be adjusted. Hope your doc has given some instructions along these lines.

Important to learn. Explore the buttons (left); starting with the OUCH site. Personally, I prefer the organized approach of books and would suggest:

MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $50 at Amazon.Com.  It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book....")

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.
----------
Re. Oxygen: some folks find that while it may abort an attack the headache may redevelop shortly after you stop using. Only experience will indicate how it works for you. This is the experience for all the meds we use: variable effectiveness between people for reasons which are no understood. Important to sustain you patience as you explore, with the doc, various treatments and NOT get into the self-blaming game. Knowledge is the preventive for fear/anxiety.

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2008 at 11:34am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 10:32pm

too much of Imitrex can cause rebounds.  And do not be concerened about oxygen side Effects.  To my knowledge, there are none.  Just do not fall asleep with the mask on.  That will suffocate a person.  Cut the strap of the mask for precaution.  CH can ware a person down so I believe it is possible to fall asleep while using o2.  Its not only possible, it happened to me.  He may be able to have the verapamil dose increased.  I take 1200mg with little side effects.  But don't do it without the doc saying so.  Prednisone will give him a break of up to 5 days and is typically used when first starting preventative therapy.  Unless you husband has another condition, it should have been prescribed to him because verap takes some time to start working.

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 10:51pm

Normally a Prednisone taper is perscribed to give some relief
while the Topomax and Verapamil are building up. It usually starts working for me in about 24 hours.

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 11:15am

Don't give up on the O2!  Ask his doc if he can try melatonin, that can eliminate the night-time hits between 6-12mgs.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!