Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CH diagnosis? (Read 1762 times)
Mikeyy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

CH diagnosis?
Jun 10th, 2008 at 6:54pm

OK, here goes...40 yo male here...never had headaches of any kind...last week I experienced 4 nights of CH magnitute headaches(wed/thurs eves then sun/mon eves) ...with ALL of the key symptoms of CH...then started steroids...have had no headaches since (about a week)...now im wondering what to do (besides wait for next headache)...Had bloodwork taken and I have the results. Can my bloodwork evidence any trend to support CH ? I dont know how to proceed for a diagnosis..please help?

IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Re: CH diagnosis?
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 8:17pm

There are no real tests to "prove" a Ch diagnosis, however the tests are done to rule out other nasties that can have many of the same symptoms.  There is a quiz to take over there to the left of the page.  Check that out first and foremost. 

After that, ask for a referal to a neurologist who specializes in headache conditions.  Then go through the tests to rule out the other nasties (some life threatening).

Prednisone is known as a transitional med, a short term reprieve while other meds are building a therapudic level in your system.  It's not for long term use.  Nasty in it's own right.

After the tests come out free from other issues and a good history is taken your Neuro will tell you if he thinks you have CH.  Then we, as members here can help you advocate for your own best treament. 

Keep us posted.

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 9:10am

Redd is correct: there are several conditions which produce "cluster-like" headaches which need to be ruled out. Most general doc lack the needed skills, especially with cluster so seek a doc with headache experience.

Some good introductory materials on the Michigan site.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2008 at 9:12am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

horsegirl
CH.com Veteran

Cluster Headaches

x0||USA||0|0|IA,Iowa
Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 12:15pm

hi everyone! hav'nt checked in forever. kinda like a watched pot never boils. [hopping for a big break through]. I just wanted to say at work yesterday a R.N casualy told me she also has cluster ha , we were talking about migrains , I said I have clusters , she says " oh me to" she said she ocassianaly gets ha on the top of her head for a few hrs. I laughed and said who diagnoised you , she said she did , then her dr confirmed she was right.  Reminded me of my D.O.N  [directer of nurses . She almost fired me last year for taking a week of sick pay last year durring my peak. She told everyone at work she never heard of anyone that could predict a ha. All that education and she had never even heard of ch. Education for nurses needs to step it up.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 1:56pm

Horsegirl, for your DON:

Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2001 Feb;5(1):55-9. 

Premonitory symptoms in cluster headache.

Raimondi E.

Catedra de Neurologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional de Rosario, 9 de Julio 3826, Rosario 2002 PKP, Argentina. raimondi@cablenet.com.ar

Cluster headache is one of the most excruciating headaches affecting human beings--especially the male sex. Most of the cluster headache cases are of episodic nature, with active cluster periods lasting generally between a few weeks and 2 or 3 months. A still undetermined percentage of patients report nonpainful sensations preceding the onset of the pain attack for a variable period of time. If occurring only a few minutes or a few hours before the onset of pain, such symptoms are called prodromal. When occurring for several days, weeks, or months before the pain, they are termed premonitory symptoms. The author believes that premonitory symptoms have not been properly diagnosed and emphasizes the need to investigate their presence, because by knowing them advances can be made in the understanding of the physiopathology of this particular cephalalgia. Furthermore, it can also allow the physician to be ahead, by giving preventive treatment and stopping or diminishing the intensity and duration of the pain attacks.

Publication Types:
Review

PMID: 11252138 

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!