Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new at this oxygen thing (Read 3045 times)
TRG
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

new at this oxygen thing
Jun 9th, 2008 at 9:58pm

Hello, I am new to this. My husband has been diagnosed w/ch.  He has had a headache every night for three weeks now. Neuro. just put him on oxygen. He has taken it three times for about 15 min. at a time time already tonight. How long should he do it for? He keeps going asleep. i take it off and then he ends up needing it again.

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Re: new at this oxygen thing
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 10:10pm

It is not intended for the patient to fall asleep while on 100% O2. You should not have to "take it off." Cut that strap off the mask right away. If both of you were to fall asleep and his tank emptied, he could suffocate.

Try to encourage him to sit up and hold the mask to his face while he uses it.

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 10:56pm

A couple of important things to remember when using oxygen; get on to it as soon as you feel a hit coming on, flow rate at least 12 litres per minute & you must stay on it for the same amount of time after you have killed the hit as it took to kill it, now that may not make a lot of sense but here’s the deal: count the amount of breaths it takes to kill the hit then stay on the oxygen for the same amount of breaths this should stop rebound headaches that you probably wont be able to get rid of.
I can usually abort a hit with about 80 to 100 breaths but I breathe straight from the bag as I have a beard & can’t get a proper seal with the mask.

Cheers
Barry

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 12:05pm

Barry_T_Coles wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 10:56pm:
I breathe straight from the bag as I have a beard & can’t get a proper seal with the mask.

Great advice Barry.  I have a small beard too and use a mouth tube instead of the mask.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 9:59pm

Do some reading up both here and at o.u.c.h site.  It sounded like a lot of bother when I first started, but it helped me a bunch.

What works for me.   Cut off the strap.   If clustermasx is still around, it works well.   Set yourself up next to a good situp chair or old-fashioned rocker.  Get to it early, and find the flow so your breathing pure o2 - around 10lpm works for me.  Usually 15 minutes or so does the trick for me.  I have not had any serious issues with rebound, but mid-cycle often has a few bad hits per day.

I hope his hits get milder and the cycle is short!

Jon

IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 10:04pm

You you guys with beards should just shave them off.  What are you hiding under there anyway.  OK, I admit it.  I'm just jealous that I am 32 and still can't grow a beard or a mustache or a decent looking goatee

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 10:49pm

kevmd wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 10:04pm:
You you guys with beards should just shave them off.  What are you hiding under there anyway. 

Gotta work on growin' those man-feathers, dude... 

You don't have to look as sour as this old fart, though:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Welcome to CH.com, TRG.  Supporters are the gold standard in human beings, as far as we're concerned.  Thanks for taking care of our cluster-brother.

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 11:01pm

Ahhhhhhhh! Ah! Ah! Ahhhhhhhh!

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 1:44am

Quote:
Ahhhhhhhh! Ah! Ah! Ahhhhhhhh!

Don't be skeered.  It's just a beard.

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 5:19am

As others have said. Cut the strap off. Also, it sounds like there is a good chance he doesn't have the right mask. If the O2 folks just gave a mask there is a good chance it is a rebreather. You need a non-rebreather, meaning it isn't mixing with air that is coming in through the vent holes - so he will get pure O2.

If administered quick enough upon feeling a hit coming on I can often abort a hit in less than 5 minutes. If it gets to 15 minutes for me, I personally find the O2 isn't going to get it for me - and then I move to the imitrex.

I do sometimes get multiple hits in a night (usually alcohol induced hits), the O2 will knock it down but it will claw its way back. Bad on me for drinking in cycle.

No sleeping on the O2 though!!!

Scott

Scott

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!