Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
treximet (Read 5698 times)
odessan
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

odessa texas
treximet
Jun 12th, 2008 at 12:49am

my dr. gave me some samples because of the expense of imtrex .I was taking the pills ...anyway I really  like it better than imtrex...it is the sumantripitan or however you spell that with the  same stuff that is in aleve...I haven t seen anyone else saying much about this but if you have any experiences with this I would like to get another opinion or two as my head is pretty fuzzy these days or just google it and see what you think
                                   thanks
                                          john

IP Logged

Gator
Ex Member

Re: treximet
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 1:50pm

Treximet (formerly known as Trexima) is Naproxen (aka alieve) and Sumitriptan (Imitrex) mixed together in a tablet form.  The cynic in me says GlaxoSmithKline's patent on Imitrex is expiring and they are creating new formulations that keep the dollars rolling in.  It seems to me that a migraineur could get the same effect using generic sumatriptan (once it is available) and generic naproxen much cheaper than the "new" Glaxo drug.   

I have not heard of anyone using this med for CH, yet.  As it is, Imitrex tablets are not really a recommended treatment for CH because it takes so long to take effect.  Naproxen has no real effect on CH. Adding naproxen to the Imitrex pills wouldn't seem to be that great a step forward for a cluster headache sufferer.  Imitrex in injection form is the gold standard for treating CH attacks.

That's my two cents worth.  YMMV

IP Logged

jace77
CH.com Junior

x0|grove city|USA|usa|0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 8:38pm

Funny, I took my 20 year old daughter to our awesome family dr today, he gave her this to see if they will help with her headaches,  I told him I had just read about it on this board last night.  Thank you for the information!  Lets keep our fingers crossed this helps her.

IP Logged

Boyce
CH.com Junior

x1|Columbus|USA|usa|387|151|IN,Indiana
Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 12:30pm

I just visited my Neuro today and due to the insurance issues of migraine headaches, he gave me some treximet samples to try out.  I am about to take the first treximet dose (85mg sumatriptan, 200mg naproxen sodium), just fought off the first HA of hte day with O2 (12:00pm EDT)....this is about the time of day where I'd take a 40 mg Relpax, and stay PF until after dinner time.....cross your fingers....
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2008 at 12:36pm by Boyce »  

No Pressure, No Diamond
stattenfield  
IP Logged

swiftlaw
CH.com Newbie

South Dartmouth - MA
Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 12:50pm

I obtained samples of Treximet.  I have just begun a cluster period (Oh no they're baaack !) and had used about 4 doses of Imitrex. I always get releif from the “triptans” but it is short lived.

I used the Treximet (85mg/500mg) and have had a 36 hour period (so far) pain free.

Side effetcs were very noticable - flushing, dizziness and almost nausea but only lasted about 2 or 3 hrs.

This is clearly a strong medicine. 

I typically have one 5 to 12 week cycle of headaches every year. For the last 3 years I have been able to obtain and ingest “magic mushrooms” - trust me I am almost 60 and have no interest in recreational drug use. The mushrooms in each instance after 5 days (2 doses) have eliminated the headaches for up to one year. Unfortunatly I can not find any anymore. I hope the resarchers will continue to advocate this totally organic solution,the strength and potential side effects of the new neds is scary to me.

That said - I have 2 more samples and will definatly use them. God be with us all.

Too hip for the room!
IP Logged

odessan
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

odessa texas
Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 2:03am

I got the treximet at the same time I did a five day course of predinsone....it has been 12 days since the beast has really mounted me (last one was a 3 hr screamer) but I have been having some very strong shadow pain which has been getting weaker every day...I took the treximet about 6 times thinking it was coming and it either aborted or was just did not break through. I also got off the topamax as I hate taking it....I am hoping and praying this cycle is over...but I think I will stay with the treximet instead of imtrex...I hope you have as good of luck as I hope I have had
                                             john

IP Logged

Boyce
CH.com Junior

x1|Columbus|USA|usa|387|151|IN,Indiana
Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 10:17am

Well....so far, Treximet's not been too bad.  I have been a Relpax and Oxygen user now that I have a routine that sorta works for me...and a fantastic Oxygen supplier in Apria. 

- 8ish wake up
- 9ish go to work
- 1st HA anywhere from 9a to 1p (tends to depend on how late I was up the night before) - Oxygen 20 mins
- 2nd HA 90-120 mins after the first one - Oxygen 20 mins - then take Relpax 40mg
- Till 5 or so - get some work done, been working from home some recently.
- After 5 or so - Keep up with a wife and 3 active kids, (11, 8, 5)
- 3rd HA - Anywhere from 10pm to 1am - Oxygen 20 mins
- 4th HA  - 90-120 mins, after the 3rd one - Oxygen 20 mins
- 5th HA -  (sometimes, not very often, usually asleep by now) 60-90 mins after 4th one - Oxygen 20-25 mins (sometimes ineffective on 3rd HA in a row)
- Bedtime  - Rel/Ben/Mel nighty-nite cocktail...(40mg Relpax/25 mg benadryl/12mg Melatonin)

The last two days, planning on a third today, I have replaced the afternoon, post-2nd HA of the day, Relpax (40mg eletriptan HBr) dose with Treximet (85mg sumatriptan / 200 mg naproxen sodium ) dose

On Tuesday, the evening HA's came @ 8pm (afternoon dose of Treximet @ 3pm)

On Wednesday, the evening HA's came @ 7pm (afternoon does of treximet @ 1pm)

Both the Treximet and the Relpax have a warning that says: Do not exceed more than 2x in 24 hours. 

So after two doses, my initial impression is that it works pretty well...but not as well as the Relpax.  The Neuro gave me six samples of Treximet to try and I am going to use them all before I decide to keep them or go back to Relpax.

Sorry this has gotten somewhat long winded, kudos if you've read this far.   Smiley  I am 5 weeks into this cycle, and believe it to be near it's peak.  I've discovered my cycles have a peak, then usually end in 2-3 weeks.  When the cycle peaks, the HA's are at their highest, both in frequency and intensity....

Wishing you PFDANs....especially the nights....   Wink

--Boyce

No Pressure, No Diamond
stattenfield  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!