Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Levothyroxin and almost in remission (Read 4101 times)
Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Levothyroxin and almost in remission
Jun 12th, 2008 at 6:01pm

Okay, so the last time I did much more than lurk on this board I got some criticism that I should stop looking for new treatments and deal.  So I have been somewhat hesitant to post, but I found something that has put me not quite into remission but very much improved.

I have been one of those chronics who has been completely disabled for more than 3 years. I had an average of 8 hits a day that were a Kip 7-10. Except for some time on dopeymax I rarely slept for more than 40 minutes at a time, was always exhausted, and I had an intractable migraine to boot. I really didn't understand how anyone could work with chronic CH because I felt so bad all of the time. I simply couldn't function.

Well, I mentioned this to my new PCP in Colorado back in January and she said my thyroid TSH level was 3.2.  That signaled an underactive thyroid within the new guidelines.  New guideline= anything over 3 is underactive.  Old guideline= anything over 5 is underactive. She also said there were some new studies that showed a correlation between migraine and new persistant daily headache with underactive thyroid (even subclinical underactive thyroid) and while she wasn't sure it would help me or CH, I should be able to sleep better.

So I went on Levothyroxin ($4 generic at Walmart!) and in about a month I started to feel dramatically different. I sleep much better.  Maybe not 8 hours in a row, but several hours at a time at least.  The previously intractable migraine is gone. My CH attacks are usually Kip 5's or phantoms, and I've only had 2 Kip-8's in the last 2 weeks. I've gone back to work. 

I'm the type whom Imi and Oxygen didn't help, so I was stuck with Lortab 10's (there was some discussion of methadone or surgery, but I refused).  I have only felt the need to take one painkiller in the last 2 months!

Now, I've been on this since January and have been feeling better ever since, so I don't think this is a fluke. I think that the med helps me sleep better and when I sleep better I have less hits, so it's an indirect effect.  This is because the nights that I didn't sleep well  I felt much worse the next day.  Prior to being on this med I never got enough sleep to notice if lack of sleep was a trigger for me or not. Other triggers (solvent smells, rapidly dropping barometer, rapid rise in temperature) still affect me but the attack is not as bad as previous ones were.

My lesson is that my CH was greatly exacerbated by my underactive thyroid.  Now CH is something I can easily live with.

So if you are one of those chronics who identifies with my story  (I know there are a few of you out there), have your thyroid tested and ASK what your TSH level is because some doctors still use the old guideline. If your number is 3 or higher, ask for Levothyroxin. No side effects, no safety issues, the only thing I have noticed is that I am slightly more sensitive to caffeine than I used to be, which is a plus in my book!

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience."  Teilhard de Chardin
Katherinecm Katherinecm http://www.facebook.com/katym katycatcm katycatcm  
IP Logged

laura
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Illinois
Re: Levothyroxin and almost in remission
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 1:00pm

I'm glad you're feeling better!!!  I'm new to the site and have had CH for 15 years or so but just recently diagnosed.  I've had several sleeping issues over the years, especially the last 9 years.  It used to take me forever to fall asleep but not I can fall asleep easily but wake up 2, sometimes 3 times during the night, even out of cycle.  I've listed other symptoms to my GP and headache doc and they always take my blood and look for thyroid irregularities.  In August/September this year I noticed my hair falling out, a lot more than usual.  The docs said thyroid levels were ok, but not sure what scale they used.  I will definitely check into that.  Thanks for the tip.  Something has to give with the beast.  There has to be a rhyme and reason, maybe this is it.

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 1:30pm

I have to say that it's a little odd that you're sleeping better because one of the side effects of Levothyroxin is insomnia, lol.

If it is helping your CH though, that is great!

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 3:31pm

Catherine, thanks for your post.  There is a lot of interconnectedness within our endocrine system. Given that the hypothalamus is probably a major culprit in this condition, or at least a major participant, it doesn't surprise me that improving thyroid function could at least help with some of the symptoms.  
I'm episodic, not chronic.  But I had a thyroid test done 8 years ago, and could very well have been borderline based on the new criteria.  I'm going to get retested, since I still have a number of relevant symptoms.  

I'm glad you're seeing improvement with your CH.  BTW, I don't think its odd at all that you're sleeping better.  The side effect that Mel mentioned doesn't happen to everyone, and it's more likely to happen when the dosage needs to be corrected.
PF wishes,
~Patti

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 5:49pm

Gary can relate, because that's about where his are (averages a little over 7 hits a day) and he's never pain free, though the "background" all-the-time shadowing hasn't been diagnosed as a migraine.

All that said, he's had lots of blood work done in the past couple of months because he's also had these crazy fever episodes.  So thank you for posting this, because supposedly nothing was red-flagged on the thyroid (or pituitary), but it's worth a re-look!

I'm so glad you're getting so much relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 10:14am

Katherine, I hope you didn't think that my post was somehow negative or implying that you're lying about your experience.  I just happened to look up levothyroxin and saw insomnia as a side effect and thought it was sort of ironicly funny.

Sorry if you took it the wrong way.  Definately wasn't meant like that!

Smileymel

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #6 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 11:36am

pattik wrote on Dec 9th, 2008 at 3:31pm:
Catherine, thanks for your post.  There is a lot of interconnectedness within our endocrine system.

Yes, absolutely. Some research has shown that most clusterheads have an 'energetic deficit' of the brain - in your case, that could be partly from a thyroid deficiency.

There was one research article titled "Deficient energy metabolism is associated with low free magnesium in the brains of patients with migraine and cluster headache" ... magnesium wasn't the cause of the energy deficit, but it probably makes things worse. 

My wife's migraines were reduced by 90% when she corrected low thyroid hormone levels (she has autoimmune thyroiditis and eliminating all wheat made a huge difference).   

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #7 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 5:51am

You know... I didn't think about this, but when we think my first cycle was.... It was 6 months before they discovered that my thyroid gland was in the process of shutting down! I was diagnosed as hypothyroid. They've got it running okay now..

I've been on Levothyroxin for about 8 years now. It hasn't helped my CH any, but I do know that my body does NOT feel very good without it.

...I think I should ask them to re-check my levels next time I go to see the doc, due to the fact it's been a while since they checked me. Thanks for posting about this, it gave me some food for thought.

I know the doc who checked it 3 months before this cycle started mentioned it was off a bit / a bit lower than it should be. Since my condition has gradually gotten worse, I'd better make sure it's not trying to keel over on me again.

Thanks again. Smiley
Mystina

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #8 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 2:46am

Monty- that's really interesting...years before I was diagnosed with CH, I was diagnosed with severe ADD, and I finally started treating it with meds this summer...something about ADD is that they now know that the ADD brain, even when on medication, uses glucose at an 8% lower rate than normal brains and is "understimulated";  also,  ADD belongs to a group of disorders known as the Affective Spectrum Disorders:

From Wikipedia,

The affective spectrum is a grouping of related psychiatric and medical disorders which may accompany bipolar, unipolar, and schizoaffective disorders at statistically higher rates than would normally be expected. These disorders are identified by a common positive response to the same types of pharmacologic treatments. They also aggregate strongly in families and may therefore share common heritable underlying physiologic anomalies.

Affective spectrum disorders include:

* Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder
    * Bipolar disorder
    * Body dysmorphic disorder
    * Bulimia nervosa and other eating disorders
    * Cataplexy
    * Dysthymia
    * Fibromyalgia
    * General anxiety disorder
    * Hypersexuality
    * Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    * Impulse-control disorders
    * Kleptomania
    * Migraine
    * Major Depressive Disorder
    * Narcolepsy
    * Obsessive-compulsive disorder
    * Panic disorder
    * Posttraumatic stress disorder
    * Premenstrual dysphoric disorder
    * Social phobia

The following may also be part of the spectrum accompanying affective disorders[citation needed].

* Chronic pain
    * Intermittent explosive disorder
    * Pathological gambling
    * Personality disorder
    * Pyromania
    * Substance abuse and addiction (includes alcoholism)
    * Trichotillomania

interesting..... Huh

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Re: Levothyroxin and almost in remission (Updated)
Reply #9 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 8:46pm

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't responded to these posts...  For some reason I'm not getting notifications of replies.

I'm still chronic but still doing much better. I found out that I had an iodine deficiency and started adding Kelp supplements to my regime. I still haven't determined if the low iodine level was the sole cause of the low thyroid, I changed jobs recently and lost my health insurance so I haven't checked to see how that's affecting my TSH level.

Starting when I was 16 I was a vegetarian for 4 years. Until recently I ate lots of soy and cruciferous vegetables. It turns out that those foods block iodine from being absorbed. Obviously I am NOT suggesting that you never eat those foods as they are very healthy in other ways.

These days I rarely eat anything with iodine in it unless I splurge and go for sushi. I know I could probably add a bunch of iodized salt to everything or go macrobiotic and eat more iodine, but salt contains aluminum (a neurotoxin), and I'm too busy to do the macrobiotic thing.

The Kelp seems to help me feel better, so I'll probably stick with it.

I certainly wasn't offended by anyone implying thyroid hormone causes insomnia- the fact is if your thyroid level is either too low or too high it can cause insomnia.

One thing that may or may not be related to all this is that my allergies have become MUCH WORSE. It seems I'm always breaking out in hives. I have always been extremely allergic to molds and the water in my basement has  never gone completely away since the iowa floods last spring, so that may be why my other allergies are worse. Or maybe thyroid also stimulates allergies?  Does anyone know?

While I always suspected that eating whole wheat might make my hay fever a little worse, these days eating any flour at all results in itchy hives, a runny nose, and the disconcerting feeling that my throat is closing up. And then it seems that for several days afterwards CH is worse- back to constantly waking up in tears. Onions seem to cause hives too. So now I'm back on the weird elimination diet that I used when I first got diagnosed only to determine that (at least at that time) I had no food triggers at all except for wine. I have a feeling I'll react to a few more things these days.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience."  Teilhard de Chardin
IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #10 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 11:03pm

An interesting thread all the way around!

Did have doc take a re-look at Gary's TSH - it was 2.9, so not the culprit.  But still glad you posted, thanks!

As to the other question, from my mom's experience, I know there's a relationship between hypothyroidism and allergies - so it seems strange and counter-intuitive that fixing that situation would increase your allergic reactions.  ???????  But clearly, there is a link between the thyroid and histamine, so it should be worth researching.

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #11 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 11:11pm

BTW - I don't know if the throat closing up is a symptom, and it may just be a wheat allergy, but have you looked into celiac disease?  There is also a relationship between celiac and hypothyroidism (again, know this from my mom).  While it may have been your diet in general that helped contribute to the situation, it's something to spend a minute or two on just to make sure. 

My mom thought that at first it was a wheat allergy, but it turned out to be a problem with gluten altogether.

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Reply #12 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 11:33pm

Well I had a negative blood test a few years back, although since have been told that blood tests falsely negative a large percentage of the time and that the only acceptable way to diagnose celiac is to biopsy after a 3-week gluten challenge (binge).  Since the flour in a piece of licorice now seems to send me into allergic reaction I am hesitant to do any challenge. I don't suppose it makes a difference anyway as the only treatment for celiac is to avoid gluten, which I intend on doing.

I realize this is off topic, but what symptoms of allergy did she have?

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Re: Levothyroxin and almost in remission (Updated)
Reply #13 - Dec 15th, 2008 at 8:51am

Quote:
I still haven't determined if the low iodine level was the sole cause of the low thyroid,

Would be nice if you could find that out........  There are lots of iodine-rich sea vegetables to eat, and it's very very uncommon to find hypothyroidism in Japan.  Their average iodine intake is 100x as much as the U.S. (not 100% but 100x).  Of course, if there's a hardware problem, no amount of iodine in food is properly processed.

Quote:
Until recently I ate lots of soy and cruciferous vegetables. It turns out that those foods block iodine from being absorbed.

I'm far from being a vegetarian, but sounds like your diet has a similar tune to mine.  If you eat a lot of unfermented soy, that *could* contribute to problems other than thyroid.

Quote:
I'm too busy to do the macrobiotic thing.

Actually I'm happy to hear it Smiley.  It'll get off-topic, but we can exchange opinions via PM's if you get serious about it.  Basically, if you are to go for a strict Japanese style macrobiotic diet, that could lead to a whole different set of blocked minerals unless you eat sprouted rice.

Quote:
Or maybe thyroid also stimulates allergies?  Does anyone know?

I haven't studied up on thyroid, but I understand hypothyroidism and gluten allergy is a common combination.  I don't believe one causes the other.

Really glad you've found some relief though.....

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #14 - Dec 15th, 2008 at 10:46am

Katherinecm wrote on Dec 14th, 2008 at 11:33pm:
Well I had a negative blood test a few years back, although since have been told that blood tests falsely negative a large percentage of the time and that the only acceptable way to diagnose celiac is to biopsy after a 3-week gluten challenge (binge).  Since the flour in a piece of licorice now seems to send me into allergic reaction I am hesitant to do any challenge. I don't suppose it makes a difference anyway as the only treatment for celiac is to avoid gluten, which I intend on doing.

I realize this is off topic, but what symptoms of allergy did she have?

She was experiencing constant headaches and terrible wheezing.  No hives, and her throat wouldn't close up, but she was also having trouble with stomach pain and diarrhea.  I don't know what the symptoms associated with the thyroid problem were specifically (I was off at college, so my knowledge of what she was going through was from phone conversations).  She actually had her thyroid removed (you know, I'm going to ask her about that), and then went on a complete elimination diet.  For about 9 months she ate just one food at a time (with a gap of at least 4 hours between each item) and logged her reactions to it.  Discovered she was gluten and lactose intolerant, and allergic to or intolerant of every member of the nightshade family.  

She went completely gluten free (and obviously doesn't eat potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant or peppers).  I don't know how it all works, but she can eat yogurt (as long as it has live cultures).  The new diet fixed all the headaches, the stomach and bowel problems.  But she still has asthma, which developed as an adult around the same time as the thryoid problem came to light, and she gets frequent sinus infections.

Laurie
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2008 at 10:48am by Garys_Girl »  

This is enough already
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!