Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Texas Weather (Read 5095 times)
KingOfPain
CH.com Hall of Famer

Disgusted!

North America
Texas Weather
Jun 13th, 2008 at 10:33am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Texas lies on the southern end of Tornado Alley. Texas' location between the Gulf of Mexico on the southeast and the Rocky Mountains on its western periphery make it a prime area for the formation of tornadoes.

Top 10 Texas counties with reported tornadoes from 1950-2007

6. County-Dallas  Location-North Texas  Major City-Dallas  #-82

8. County-Tarrant  Location-North Texas  Major City-Ft. Worth  #-78

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though tornadoes occur in every state, they are most frequent and attain the highest intensities in the central portion of the United States. Texas has the most reported tornadoes each year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weather for Irving Texas, July 2007.

July 15, 2007
High Temperature 97.9[98]  Humidity 83%

July 16, 2007
High Temperature 99.1[99]  Humidity 79[80]%

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2009 at 12:03pm by KingOfPain »  

Arrived August, 1999.
We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter. - Denis Diderot
Thanks for the ignore function! Wink

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Re: Texas Weather
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 11:11am

Let me guess. You're trying to help people who might be on the fence about coming to the OUCH convention?

IP Logged

Donna_D.
CH.com Alumnus

Gone and Sadly Forgotten

Dallas|Texas
Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 2:44pm

Quote:
Let me guess. You're trying to help people who might be on the fence about coming to the OUCH convention?

I believe someone once said...

The weather in Texas is hot....OUTSIDE.  The ride from the airport to the hotel is air conditioned.  The hotel is air conditioned.  There are lots of activities, good food and friends to keep people occupied.  If you want to venture outside there is a water park you can go to or an air conditioned shopping mall, or air conditioned restaurants, most of which are accessible by an air conditioned vehicle.

It is not as if Texas is the only place that has warm temperatures or tornadoes  Roll Eyes

If you are concerned about the heat then here are some helpful guidelines to follow.

Preventing Heat-Related Illness

Staying healthy during the summer is easier if you take the time to protect yourself by making sure you are drinking enough water and limiting your exposure to the heat.

* Drink water. Even people that stay mostly indoors all day should drink at least 2 liters of water per day. Folks that spend time outdoors should drink 1 to 2 liters per hour that they are outdoors. People that do strenuous activity outdoors should be very careful- your body can lose up to 4 liters of water per hour during strenuous activity. You and your family should carry water with you and drink even if you do not feel thirsty. Avoid alcohol and caffeine, which dehydrate the body. Avoid using salt tablets unless directed to do so by a physician.

* Dress for the heat. Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing. Light colors will reflect away some of the sun's energy. It is also a good idea to wear hats or to use an umbrella. Always apply sunscreen to exposed skin.

* Eat small meals and eat more often. Avoid foods that are high in protein which increase metabolic heat.

* Slow down. Avoid strenuous activity. If you must do strenuous activity, do it during the coolest part of the day, which is usually in the morning between 4:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m.
    *   Stay indoors when possible.

* Take regular breaks when engaged in physical activity on warm days. Take time out to find a cool place. If you recognize that you, or someone else, is showing the signals of a heat-related illness, stop activity and find a cool place. Remember, have fun, but stay cool!

I cannot control the weather but I can hopefully guarantee that anyone who attends convention will have a wonderful time.  I look forward to seeing as many of you who can make it here in Dallas in just a few weeks!!!

DD

“Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.”
~Mother Teresa
smileyone1968@yahoo.com 1341+East+Park+Drive  
IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 2:48pm

Just trying to figure out what the point of the thread was.

Oh, yeah! That's right! Somebody has my posts set to "ignore."

Silly me.

IP Logged

Donna_D.
CH.com Alumnus

Gone and Sadly Forgotten

Dallas|Texas
Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 2:59pm

Quote:
Just trying to figure out what the point of the thread was.

Oh, yeah! That's right! Somebody has my posts set to "ignore."

Seems to me the point of the thread was Texas Weather  Roll Eyes

To be informed is to be prepared. 

For the record:  It is not MY fault you have pissed people off to the point of them having to ignore you.  I believe that is the function of the ignore button am I right?  Oh, and if you want to PM me again with a mean and nasty "reprimand" for my choosing to speak my mind on this board go right ahead.  Next time I will post it publicly for everyone to see.

Quote:
Silly me.

Indeed.

DD

“Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.”
~Mother Teresa
IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 3:20pm

Most men I know will defend their opinions instead of sticking their head in the sand and letting others fight their battles.

Would you pass that along for me, please?

Be careful from whom you're learning your tactics. Your posts are starting to look just like somebody else's.

IP Logged

Donna_D.
CH.com Alumnus

Gone and Sadly Forgotten

Dallas|Texas
Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 4:04pm

Quote:
Most men I know will defend their opinions instead of sticking their head in the sand and letting others fight their battles.

DJ has asked that the fighting/battles on this board stop.  Yet you continue to antagonize and attempt to stir an argument.  You cannot get a rise out of KOP, so you go after me...in PM and here on the board. 

What it boils down to, Brew, is that you poked the bear...it growled.  You poked it again, it growled louder.  You poked it again and then the bear got up and walked away...choosing to ignore you rather than continually be poked and have to growl at you.  Yet for some reason you still obessively chase the bear and poke it every chance you get and then cry foul when it doesn't growl back.  At some point in time someone has to say STOP POKING THE BEAR.

I have tried to be a positive influence in this community for many, many years.  I have put an end to many fights and poked many trolls along the way, but NEVER have I maliciously and antagonistically poked someone and continued poking them until the only remaining choice they had was to ignore me. 

I am stepping in and saying STOP.  If you can prove to me what purpose it would serve for you not to stop then I am all ears.  Move on.  Let it go.  The bear does not want to be poked anymore. 

Quote:
Would you pass that along for me, please?

No, I won't.  That would serve no purpose other than to "fight your battle" for you.  Now that wouldn't be very manly, would it.

Quote:
Be careful from whom you're learning your tactics. Your posts are starting to look just like somebody else's.

Say what you really mean, Brew.  My posts are just as they have always been.  Honest, straightforward and to the point.

DD

~Mother Teresa
IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 4:13pm

Nicely done, Donna. That's quite a reality you've created.

Seems to me as though I will need to simply ignore both of you. I'll pretend you don't exist, you can do the same for me, and Steve can keep his ignore button pressed.

IP Logged

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

St. Maarten/Neth. Antilles
Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 4:20pm

Must be the weather or the new Belgian beer coming to Milwaukee.
Hey Brew how do you say Bud Light in Flemmish? Cheesy

IP Logged

cash5542
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Ocean Pines|USA|usa|498|141|MD,Maryland
Reply #9 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 4:21pm

I'm sure I am just naive, but I thought this post was to compare Texas weather to the previous post about Kansas. Having lived in both states, tornados happen ALOT. I didn't read into this post anything more than that.

We are having BEAUTIFUL sunny weather here (Ocean CIty MD). The beach is gorgeous, temps in the mid 80's. We even have a family wedding on the beach to attend tomorrow. I'll save my complaints for the fall when we become hit with hurricanes. Every place has some weather issue!

Charlotte

cash5542  
IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #10 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 4:54pm

Svenn & Bente are in for quite an experience.  They land in Newark though and that can be a tad on the warm side too.

Still, walking across a Target parking lot in Dallas suburbs, in July, is not something  for which I was prepared.  Shocked

It's true though that everything is air-conditioned. It was damned cold in the hotel.  Cool

Charlie

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 5:06pm

Fun topic for me - I'm moving from Morro Bay, CA to the Austin area Smiley

I'm just happy for dirt cheap home prices and super low cost utilities compared to where I just sold...........

Sorry if I'm off topic, I thought that this thread was about Texas weather.
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2008 at 5:09pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #12 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 5:08pm

What? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?      

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

mummymac
CH.com Alumnus

Kissed Donny Osmond and
proud of it

Jersey|United_Kingdom|europe
Reply #13 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 5:11pm

I was looking at the weather channel to-day, it was hot there in Dallas.  My strenuous exercise plan for the trip is

1 - walk to food
2- sit
3- walk to bar to top on all the liquids needed in that heat
4-sit
5- walk to food
6-sit
7-walk to bar
8-sit
9-repeat as needed

maybe a dip in pool if there is time inbetween my busy plans.

Donna do you think  this will keep me cool and happy Cheesy

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)
WWW mummymac tanyamcintosh1 http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=534942699&r mummymac  
IP Logged

artonio7
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 5:29pm

My nipples hurt.... Oh... WAIT! What message board is this?

Ahhh Texas? Tornadoes... Heat! Well what does everyone expect? It's down south and in the middle of summer! I for one LOVE THE HEAT! .... and I weep openly on a daily basis because I can not attend this years OUCH Convention... I would gladly endure any weather to spend time with all of this family... of course it's the hugs that I love so much.

If anyone within eye shot of this post has not yet made up their mind to attend this years OUCH Convention... JUST GO!!!!

Let me live vicariously through you. I will miss the fun and fellowship that only this unique family can offer...

Now, everyone kiss and make up... you know you all love each other.

with warm regards,
Tony

IP Logged

Donna_D.
CH.com Alumnus

Gone and Sadly Forgotten

Dallas|Texas
Reply #15 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 5:50pm

mummymac wrote on Jun 13th, 2008 at 5:11pm:
I was looking at the weather channel to-day, it was hot there in Dallas.  My strenuous exercise plan for the trip is

1 - walk to food
2- sit
3- walk to bar to top on all the liquids needed in that heat
4-sit
5- walk to food
6-sit
7-walk to bar
8-sit
9-repeat as needed

maybe a dip in pool if there is time inbetween my busy plans.

I am intrigued by your ideas.  May I subscribe to your newsletter Wink

Quote:
Donna do you think  this will keep me cool and happy Cheesy

If it takes me serving drinks poolside, you WILL have a great time!!

DD

~Mother Teresa
IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #16 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 8:14pm

Ah, hell, that ain't hot.  Try New Orleans in mid-July.  Hotter than a nanny goat's ass in a pepper patch.

Years ago, me and Jimbo were driving back from Memphis to Monroe.  We went through the Mississippi delta.  It was around mid July and the temp. was 107 F.  That was frikkin' hot.

Have the sunblock and wide brimmed straw hat ready!

Cool

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 8:41pm

Tell it to the troops, 130 in the shade in Basra!  Wink

IP Logged

The Mad Viking
CH.com Sponsor

Always Look on The Bright
Side of Life

Oslo, Norway
Reply #18 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 4:45am

Charlie wrote on Jun 13th, 2008 at 4:54pm:
Svenn & Bente are in for quite an experience.  They land in Newark though and that can be a tad on the warm side too.

Still, walking across a Target parking lot in Dallas suburbs, in July, is not something  for which I was prepared.  Shocked

It's true though that everything is air-conditioned. It was damned cold in the hotel.  Cool

Charlie

Just wondering  if our good friend Charlie is trying to scare Bente and me from coming to Dalcon?? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Svenn

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life&&
WWW svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #19 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 10:31am

Well today at the farm (100 miles from Dallas) it's raining and we have a cool snap (84degrees) so it's tolerable.... The veggies are gettin' watered (saves Granny's labor walking to the garden with the water hose) and everything is staying green....

Now you people get yur bags packed and come on to Texas.  You've got CH -- what the hell is a little ole Tornado compared to that -- and besides by July not even a coyote will be swirling around.... It'll just be hot, but the bar is air conditioned... no problem....

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #20 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 11:15am

last time i was in dallas i got charged by one of these Grin
and yes i have seen them that big in dallas

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register jackHoldingWaterbug.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #21 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 11:16am

Well, whatever the weather in Texas will be, I'd imagine that it will be bigger than anywhere else.   Wink

By the way, if you ever want to get a reaction from a Texan, try this....

I was over at a guy's house one time to play poker.  I didn't know him well.  I knew he was a transplanted Texan, but that was about it. 

I noticed he had one of these tacked up in his living room:

I asked him (as casually and idly as possible) why he had a Cuban flag hanging on his wall.  You'd have thought he'd been gutshot.

Threw off his game completely.  The rest of us cleaned up.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

M.R.
CH.com Alumnus

Grand Rapids, Mi.
Reply #22 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 11:26am

Now that was funny.

Mike

"Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the government." --James Madison

James Taranto  ” [D]o you know what they call people who rely on themselves? Adults."

Thomas Jefferson, "Bind [them] down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
kasper4157  
IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Reply #23 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 12:53pm

LMAO George!  Grin

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #24 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 4:30pm

yeah, but George -- next time I'll be watching for ya..... Cheesy  Gonna get my money back.....

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!