Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just kind of curious (Read 2034 times)
BenjaminThurber
CH.com Newbie

Cluster Heads of the World
Unite!

Planet Earth
Just kind of curious
Jun 23rd, 2008 at 10:58pm

Hello,

I find that, shortly before I go through a cluster cycle, I start really craving salt.  I was just curious if this is a normal thing, if it's something that, as usual, happens in a few cases and not in others, or if it's just that I have a taste for salt.  I mean, I can go for a while without really noticing, and then, out of the blue, like clockwork, I crave it like crazy.

A month of torture, two months of relief, and a way to cut the torture down.

IP Logged

Paige_H.
CH.com Junior

What the hell?

x0|Princeton|USA||0|0|WV,West_Virginia
Re: Just kind of curious
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 11:00pm

I don't crave it before a cycle.  But I crave it after a hit.  I eat potato chips like crazy after one.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 12:46am

I have noticed that during a cycle, I need more salt to taste it. I take Lithium and we actually need more salt when taking it. Not before a cycle that I've noticed.

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 12:41pm

I'll eat all the junk and bad food I can get my hands on during cycle.  I feel like I deserve to eat whatever I want because of all the pain I'm going hrough.  So its extra salt, extra cheese on everything.

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

ajarmstrong
CH.com Junior

Anybody seen Mighty Manfred?

x0|Tullahoma|USA||0|0|TN,Tennessee
Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 1:46pm

Since Cluster Attacks can affect the Ganglion Nerve, it is possible that this could affect your taste buds! 

Here's the "scientific" definition: The facial nerve is the seventh (VII) of twelve paired cranial nerves. It emerges from the brainstem between the pons and the medulla, and controls the muscles of facial expression, and taste to the anterior two-thirds of the tongue. It also supplies preganglionic parasympathetic fibers to several head and neck ganglia.

I know I get a small painful knot on my neck which the doctor said was caused by the Ganglion Nerve.  I know that I CRAVE salt, but can't partake because of other medical condition.

ajarmstrong  
IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 2:02pm

Also, the genetic basis of CH probably involves unusual genes for ion transport ... the sodium, potassium, chloride, magnesium and calcium doesn't always go where it should.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

BenjaminThurber
CH.com Newbie

Cluster Heads of the World
Unite!

Planet Earth
Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 2:24pm

monty wrote on Jun 24th, 2008 at 2:02pm:
Also, the genetic basis of CH probably involves unusual genes for ion transport ... the sodium, potassium, chloride, magnesium and calcium doesn't always go where it should.

So could it be that, during the periods of attack, the change that clusters cause block the pathways of transport for these ions.

A month of torture, two months of relief, and a way to cut the torture down.

IP Logged

kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 1:02am

interesting to read this, as for a few weeks now (strated the cycle in early june), i have found that i have been craving sugar, which is not at all characteristic of me. i am normally a salty kinda gal, but not of late. wierd.
i couldn't follow the whole cranial nerve/salt connection..

IP Logged

bettytinks
CH.com Newbie

Proud Supporter, Wife,
and Mother :)

Miami, Florida
Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 1:23am

Hmmmm that may be why Saul went and bought Sea salth for cooking the other day. We've never used it before but he said he really wanted it LOL!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!