Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do I really have CH? (Read 2888 times)
NeilB
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

England
Do I really have CH?
Jun 25th, 2008 at 6:49am

Hi, I'm new to this group, it's only recently I learned of cluster headaches and realised it matched mine perfectly. But...
When I have an attack, I get all the symptoms, piercing pain behind my left eye, watery eye/runny nose, pain sometimes radiating to upper jaw and neck, but the pain I get, though bad, doesn't seem anywhere near as severe as people describe. Is there such thing as a 'mild' form of CH? In which case, can I look forward to it getting worse? Or, could I have something else causing such similar symptoms?

Neil

IP Logged

Audre
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Three Rivers|USA||0|0|MI,Michigan
Re: Do I really have CH?
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 7:31am

If you look on the left side of the site, there's a bunch of links.  Go to the Kip Scale and read through the definitions of the various levels.  Everyone's pain is different.  In fact, my pain is different from one HA to another.  One time it can be a 5, next it's a full blown 10.  When I first started getting mine, they were usually really low and have gradually increased to where I get 10's a lot.

Have you seen a doctor or more importantly a neurologist.  Because the pain can get pretty severe and they can happen often, it's important to get on a preventative (topamax, lithium, verapamil) to help make the HA's less often and less severe and an abortive (oxygen, imitrex) to stop the pain when one does get through.

IP Logged

NeilB
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

England
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 7:52am

Thanks for yor reply.
Yeah, I've checked all the links - read a lot about it since I 'discovered' CH. I'd say I get to pain level 6 at worst.
The doc did try me on beta-blockers as I have high blood-pressure too, but they didn't seem to make any difference.
I'm in the UK, by the way, so I don't know if it is treated any differently here.

IP Logged

Audre
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Three Rivers|USA||0|0|MI,Michigan
Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 8:33am

Here's a link to the common treatments.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Not sure about the differences in the UK and USA, but the treatments should be similar.  Everyone's different so what could work for me may not work for you.  There are many other preventive treatments, so if your doctor hasn't tried any more, get on him to.  Print out and take that page to him if needed.  Unfortunately most doctors don't know much about cluster headaches, so we're left with having to do most of the research.  I myself have had to tell my doctor about the different preventives, granted I see a GP and not a neurologist yet, but she's been pretty open with me educating her, especially after I was able to describe the pain better to her and she realized how bad it was.

You know how bad it can get, not your doctor, so make sure he stays on the ball about treating you.  If you don't have success with one, try another and another until you find something that works for you.  Some people have had to use higher doses to get relief, while others have had to combine different preventives.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Tells more about the different treatments and gives information on the doses.

IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 9:04am

Hello, Neil.  Welcome aboard.  

This is in response to your question. I am not trying to be doom and gloom, but it may get worse at some point.  Is the reason you wonder if it's really ch because it is milder?  There could be several reasons off the top for that.

If you are taking verapamil for your blood pressure, that may be a reason why they seem milder.

You may be using a different personal pain scale.  I used to have a pain scale that only went from 4 to 6, and my 4 was similar to a 7 on the KIP scale.  

Yes, there are other similar headaches.  You may want to do a search on TAC/SUNCT and paroxysmal hemicrania.  

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Charlotte

IP Logged

NeilB
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

England
Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 9:25am

Yes, not wishing to tempt fate, but from the horror stories I've been reading, it seemed I wasn't suffering enough.  The '6' i was referring to was on the KIP scale.
No, I'm not taking verapamil.
I see paroxysmal hemicrania has very similar symptoms, how do we tell the difference?

Thanks for your reply.
Neil

IP Logged

LeeS
CH.com Alumnus

I love C12 H16 N2O!

West London, UK, Europe
Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 1:05pm

Hi Neil and welcome.

This may help:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

All the best with it

-Lee

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 1:16pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Read these links here.Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
the more you know
thebb
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2008 at 1:18pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

IowaGuy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Iowa, USA
Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 4:41pm

Doesn't sound strange to me. Some of my cycles are much worse than others. My cycles start with low pain... then peak at some level (usually 8 to 10) and taper back down again before going into remission.

IP Logged

Kirk
CH.com Alumnus

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

Harts Lake, WA
Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 9:42pm

Hopefully LeLimey will be along soon and give you the scoop on whats up in the UK. Helen is aces at stuff on your side of the pond. You might want to look up OUCH-UK. From what I understand Simon has a great organization over there.
   Don't worry about only having a Kip - 6, and not suffering enough. At some point the Beast will rectify that little short coming. And you'll learn to keep yer mouth shut Wink
    Welcome to the maelstrom.

Smiley

kirkevrrt 161860987 kirk_jones511 2607+395th+St+CT+S  
IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #10 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 12:31am

Hi Niel

Any sufferering is too much.

One of the determining factors of CH vs other issues is the time frame of an attack.
Less than 30 minutes or over 3 hours per hit on a regular basis is suspect. Though not completely accurate as many here have proven. It is a good indicator.
The hits can be back to back but some easing of the pain should happen between.

MJ

IP Logged

NeilB
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

England
Reply #11 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 9:47am

Thanks everyone for your replies.
It's not a club I would choose to be a member of, but it's nice to be among friends  Smiley

N

IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #12 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 12:34pm

It seems to me that docs sometimes use response to meds to help in their diagnosis. 

Charlotte

IP Logged

DonnaH_again
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 5:47pm

Hello and Welcome!

Beta blockers are usually most helpful with migraines, not cluster headaches.  

It's great that you do have a doctor who is willing to listen.

Good luck

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!