Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new dose pro sumatriptan (no needle) (Read 2473 times)
sgarner
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Decatur, AL
new dose pro sumatriptan (no needle)
Jun 30th, 2008 at 1:50am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Re: new dose pro sumatriptan (no needle)
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 2:26am

Interesting!  It states that this needleless method allows the drug to reach peak levels in 12 minutes, isn't Imitrex stat dose faster?

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 10:03am

Application is said to be a simple three-step process and then 12 minutes to peak concentration of sumatriptan.  This puts it hard pressed competively with the easier to use and closely related timespan of Immitrex nasal spray.  Tough niche to capture.

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 1:08pm

Damn, folks, can't you read???

Quote:
... and showed that
maximum plasma concentrations
of sumatriptan were reached rapidly, within approximately 12 minutes.

Has anybody a comparable time for Imitrex Stat dose application to reach
? This time has (almost) nothing to do with the time it takes to start aborting your attack. INMHO it doesn't matter how the sumatriptan gets under your skin, and the through the skin shot is probably a few seconds faster. Smiley

I think this is a good thing, especially for those afraid of needles. Furthermore, as we know GSK, they probably have a patent on the stat dose still running for some time. So competition on the delivery system will benefit the user.

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 6:00pm

AlienSpaceGuy wrote on Jun 30th, 2008 at 1:08pm:

Regarding the 12 minutes mentioned in the article:

Quote:
An early time to peak plasma concentration for migraine drugs is important because it has been shown to correlate with speed and completeness of the response to symptoms...

Apparently cessation seems to amount to twelve minutes. Twelve minutes in nasal spray time would amount to a point when the pain may begin to simply stop getting worse.  

An odd comparison was made for maximum concentrations and noting a three-step process as less cumbersome didn't register right:

Quote:
sumatriptan absorption could provide a new option for migraine patients who are currently not satisfied with their existing therapy which can take hours to reach peak absorption or require cumbersome needle-based delivery.

Why I compared it market-wise to the nasal spray is because it's faster than pills and not a needle also, a similar market target.  But I see now this is an improvement over nasal spray trex, which is only a momentary easy action to use if handy.  But abort time can be very important on the job, there the new advantage!  

Thanks U, for clarifying.

And this, too.

AlienSpaceGuy wrote on Jun 30th, 2008 at 1:08pm:
I think this is a good thing, especially for those afraid of needles.

Wink

« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2008 at 6:13pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 6:12pm

Ah, point taken ASG,
And as to an answer for your question, I found the comparable time to be approximately the same according to this GSK web site:

"Pharmacokinetics: Pharmacokinetic parameters following a 6-mg subcutaneous injection into the deltoid area of the arm in 9 males (mean age, 33 years; mean weight, 77 kg) were systemic clearance: 1,194 ± 149 mL/min (mean ± S.D.), distribution half-life: 15 ± 2 minutes, terminal half-life: 115 ± 19 minutes, and volume of distribution central compartment: 50 ± 8 liters. Of this dose, 22% ± 4% was excreted in the urine as unchanged sumatriptan and 38% ± 7% as the indole acetic acid metabolite.
After a single 6-mg subcutaneous manual injection into the deltoid area of the arm in 18 healthy males (age, 24 ± 6 years; weight, 70 kg), the maximum serum concentration (Cmax) was (mean ± standard deviation) 74 ± 15 ng/mL and the time to peak concentration (Tmax) was 12 minutes after injection (range, 5 to 20 minutes). In this study, the same dose injected subcutaneously in the thigh gave a Cmax of 61 ± 15 ng/mL by manual injection versus 52 ± 15 ng/mL by autoinjector techniques. The Tmax or amount absorbed was not significantly altered by either the site or technique of injection.

So with that I would like to give it a try...

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 6:36pm

Kevin,
sgarner posted this link on another thread:

And after looking at it, it looks to be just as easy as the nasal spray and easier than the stat dose.

Also, thinking about time and the nasal spray, what size dose are you thinking of?  The nasal spray I have used was 20mg compared to 6mg of stat dose.  Do you think the larger dose could have an effect on time?

I would be interested in trying it out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!