Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
serotonin (Read 3023 times)
kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

serotonin
Jul 9th, 2008 at 4:15am

hi all

anyone know if it is thought to be a matter of too MUCH serotonin, or too little that is thought to be responsible for CH's?

TIA

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Re: serotonin
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 1:53am

Serotonin is still not very well understood, how its metabolized, regulated etc..

A few studies  say that elevated serotonin levels in blood are seen during an attack. Normal levels outside of a hit.
(interesting to note its a supposed drop in serotonin during migraines)

As I see it, it seems it is more of a serotonin regulation issue or fluctuating levels that may be behind our little CH issues.
(Some reports says oxygen in its pure form can erradicate serotonin in the blood, maybe a clue)

It is thought that the hypothalamus is responsible for the creation and regulation of serotonin.

MJ

IP Logged

kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 3:52am

thanks for the info. the more i can understand this, the more optimistic i am that science will find a way to control it.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 2:45pm

Do some reading here. Goadsby is thought to be the leader in the CH research field.
thebbMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
the more you know
Wink

« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2008 at 2:55pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 10:13pm

As I understand it, serotonin is the main neurotransmitter. By bridging the gap in the synapses it allows the transmission of nerve signals. The Triptans mimic serotonin and tell the blood vessels in the head to contract.

Quote:
(Some reports says oxygen in its pure form can erradicate serotonin in the blood, maybe a clue)

Well, some serotonin leaks out and ends up in the blood stream, where it does nothing but being transported to the liver, to be recycled. I can't see why serotonin should be eradicated from the blood. And how the hell does "oxygen in its pure form" get into the blood stream? By drinking oxygenated water?. These "reports" must come from the "scientific explanations" of a health scam site.

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 1:21pm

To make it more complicated, there are different types of serotonin nerves, and they have different functions in the body. The triptans stimulate some of the type 1 serotonin nerves (the B and D forms of the type 1 subset). On the other hand, olanzapine and kudzu block some of the type 2 serotonin nerves (especially the 2A and 2C types).   
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2008 at 1:24pm by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 1:54pm

AlienSpaceGuy wrote on Jul 10th, 2008 at 10:13pm:
Quote:

Well, some serotonin leaks out and ends up in the blood stream, where it does nothing but being transported to the liver, to be recycled. I can't see why serotonin should be eradicated from the blood. And how the hell does "oxygen in its pure form" get into the blood stream? By drinking oxygenated water?. These "reports" must come from the "scientific explanations" of a health scam site.

Smiley

Maybe the pure oxygen comes from breathing 100% oxygen with a non-rebreather mask??  Which raises an interesting question ... how does 100% oxygen work??  Some people say its a vasoconstrictor, (ok, maybe) - but does it work directly, or does it somehow change serotonin as the method of vasoconstriction??

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 10:26pm

i can't see O2 being a vasoconstrictor, seeing as it's the first thing you give to someone having a heart attack. how it works in conjunction with my triptan is a mystery..................

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 11:44am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
There are 12 major neurotransmitters. Science has identified up to 100 more in combinations. Neurotransmission is not as simple as too much or too little of serotonin. One thing for sure... the hypothalamus is the regulator of these neurotransmitters, as well as the regulator of the endocrine system that produces them. Smiley
thebb

IP Logged

clustermike
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 12:04am

I seem to think we lack seritonin and Oxygen  stimulates the synthesis of serotonin in the central nervous system.
Triptans are a family of tryptamine based drugs used as abortive medication in the treatment of migraine and cluster headaches.Their action is attributed to their binding to serotonin 5-HT1B and 5-HT1D receptors in cranial blood vessels (causing their constriction) and subsequent inhibition of pro-inflammatory neuropeptide release. Evidence is accumulating that these drugs are effective because they act on serotonin receptors in nerve endings as well as the blood vessels

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #10 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 5:53pm

The precursor to serotonin is tryptophan - the human body does not "manufacture" tryptophan so it must be obtained from foods we eat (principally carbohydrates).  The problem with some headaches (including migraines, clusters, and medication overuse headaches) is thought to be too much serotonin:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Serotonin in the brain:

Miscellaneous:

U Penn research indicates serotonin plays a key role in circadian rhythm:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

...and oxygen is a very powerful vasoconstrictor.  The problem with people having a heart attack isn't vasodilation or constriction, it's blood flow, and blood flow is what gets oxygen from lungs to bloodstream, so increasing oxygen intake is necessary.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

clustermike
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 6:40pm

Well it would appear to me that  its more of the receptors that gives us our troulble. all i do know is there may be a clear cycle in the attacks but nothing seems to add up......other then the times and seasons. some of the strande things like how being closer to the equator reduses the amout of recorded sufferers

IP Logged

ReeseC
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

San Francisco
Reply #12 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 12:47pm

Garys_Girl wrote on Aug 15th, 2008 at 5:53pm:
The precursor to serotonin is tryptophan - the human body does not "manufacture" tryptophan so it must be obtained from foods we eat (principally carbohydrates). 

I remember learning that tryptophan is the substance in turkey that is the cause of why people feel drowsy after a turkey meal.  The nutrition website Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register gives you the tryptophan levels of all the foods in its database.

Does this mean we should reduce our intake of tryptophan to decrease our likelihood of starting up a cluster cycle?

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #13 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 8:52pm

Well, if the problem is in the receptors - actually the hypothalamus' regulation of those receptors, it doesn't seem that the amount of serotonin in one's system is the problem.  But if anyone actually knew, then there would probably be a "cure" for clusters.  Smiley

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!