Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how long will it take for varapmil to work? (Read 3953 times)
rose
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

how long will it take for varapmil to work?
Aug 8th, 2008 at 2:26pm

Hi there!  We're new to this so please bear with us. 

My 14 year old daughter has been in constant pain since nov 07.  this is on her left side behind her ear (but with some on the right but not as bad).  This was initially diagnosed as tn but finally about 2 months ago, saw yet another neurologist who diagnosed her with 'cluster-like headaches'.  to quote 'she has severe idiopathic headache with normal mri.  The pain doesn't fit the features for tn nor migraine nor classical cluster headache or paroxysmal hemicrania, although it would fit under the general term cluster-like headache.'

he has prescribed 80mg verapamil 3 times a day, and o2.  The o2 does help but the effects don't last very long.  we haven't noticed any change and the past 10 days or so she says it has been worse.  She has been taking it for approx 8 weeks.  he has also prescribed sumatriptan but this makes her feel awful with barely any pain relief.

he has also diagnosed her with pot syndrome and we wondered if there was any connection?

Any help or advice would be very wecome as you both as sufferers and carers can feel really isolated.  It's pretty hard when its only 1 person caring for a chronically ill child, and another child who can be a right handful!

Many thanks to you all.

Deb

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: how long will it take for varapmil to work?
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 7:46am

I'm afraid the the complex of age, unclear Dx, and secondary Dx makes your question way outside of our league to handle.

In broad terms: Verapamil takes around2-3 weeks to kick in BUT the dosing may also have to be adjusted more than once to find the effective dose. So, the range of time can be rather wide.
-----------
Headache. 2004 Nov;44(10):1013-8.   

Individualizing treatment with verapamil for cluster headache patients.

Blau JN, Engel HO.

Background.-Verapamil is currently the best available prophylactic drug for patients experiencing cluster headaches (CHs). Published papers usually state 240 to 480 mg taken in three divided doses give good results, ranging from 50% to 80%; others mention higher doses-720, even 1200 mg per day. In clinical practice we found we needed to adapt dosage to individual's time of attacks, in particular giving higher doses before going to bed to suppress severe nocturnal episodes. A few only required 120 mg daily. We therefore evolved a scheme for steady and progressive drug increase until satisfactory control had been achieved. Objective.-To find the minimum dose of verapamil required to prevent episodic and chronic cluster headaches by supervising each individual and adjusting the dosage accordingly. Methods.-Consecutive patients with episodic or chronic CH (satisfying International Headache Society (IHS) criteria) were started on verapamil 40 mg in the morning, 80 mg early afternoon, and 80 mg before going to bed. Patients kept a diary of all attacks, recording times of onset, duration, and severity. They were advised, verbally and in writing, to add 40 mg verapamil on alternate days, depending on their attack timing: with nocturnal episodes the first increase was the evening dose and next the afternoon one; when attacks occurred on or soon after waking, we advised setting an alarm clock 2 hours before the usual waking time and then taking the medication. Patients were followed-up at weekly intervals until attacks were controlled. They were also reviewed when a cluster period had ended, and advised to continue on the same dose for a further 2 weeks before starting systematic reduction. Chronic cluster patients were reviewed as often as necessary. Results.-Seventy consecutive patients, 52 with episodic CH during cluster periods and 18 with chronic CH, were all treated with verapamil as above. Complete relief from headaches was obtained in 49 (94%) of 52 with episodic, and 10 (55%) of 18 with chronic CH; the majority needed 200 to 480 mg, but 9 in the episodic, and 3 in the chronic group, needed 520 to 960 mg for control. Ten, 2 in the episodic and 8 in the chronic group, with incomplete relief, required additional therapy-lithium, sumatriptan, or sodium valproate. One patient withdrew because verapamil made her too tired, another developed Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and the drug was withdrawn. Conclusions.-Providing the dosage for each individual is adequate, preventing CH with verapamil is highly effective, taken three (occasionally with higher doses, four) times a day. In the majority (94%) with episodic CH steady dose increase under supervision, totally suppressed attacks. However in the chronic variety only 55% were completely relieved, 69% men, but only 20% women. In both groups, for those with partial attack suppression, additional prophylactic drugs or acute treatment was necessary. (Headache 2004;44:1013-1018).

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 11:17am

Quote:
My 14 year old daughter has been in constant pain since nov 07.  this is on her left side behind her ear (but with some on the right but not as bad).

Please could you clarify this still a bit further? Is the pain CONSTANTLY present, as in all the time there and of the same level?

And also, is the pain really constantly present on the left side and ALSO on the right side? So that it's NOT unilateral?

...she has been taking Verapamil for 8 weeks now?

- Rosa
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2008 at 11:26am by Ungweliante »  

IP Logged

rose
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 11:48am

hi Rosa

thanks for replying.  The pain is constant on both side all the time but  at a consistent level (4-7) the pain on the left side then comes and goes but is what she describes as intense stabbing or electric shocks which increase in frequency and intensity as the evening wears on.  It gets worse in the evening and early hours of the morning.

hope this clarifies things and thanks again for your interest.

Deb

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 12:00pm

No problem, Rose Smiley

But anyways, some of the very defining traits of Cluster Headaches are that they are 1) unilateral and 2) the pain is NOT constant, but rather lasts around 30-180 minutes, usually around an hour. I can't understand how this can be diagnosed as "cluster-like" headache, since there is not really anything cluster-like about it.

If your daughter has been using Verapamil for 8 weeks, there's indeed a good chance the it will not work. It might take around 3 weeks for it to work, but not really longer than that.

Also, do you know that Verapamil has been linked to various side-effects such as brachycardia, constant dizziness, etc. and is far from safe? There's a recent medical report about it here: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register ...your daughter isn't taking very large doses of Verapamil, but I'd still be careful with it.

What kinds of medications have you tried for the headache, except Verapamil?

Edited:
CONTINUED:

Does she have other symptoms than just a headache? Drooping eyelid(s), fluids coming from the eye(s) and/or nose during the headache? Is the headache worse when sitting down? While sneezing? What if she bows her head down?

Here are two links that you might be able to use to second-guess the diagnosis:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

My guess for the pain being worse in the evening and at the early hours of the morning is that the corticosteroids produced naturally by the human body are at their lowest during then. Corticosteroids act, among other things, to suppress the body's immune system. Medically administered steroids can be very useful as a short-term pain treatment, although they don't work for everyone. A short trial of steroids shouldn't hurt your daughter, though. Long-term use of steroids causes many problems and shouldn't be considered unless it's absolutely necessary.

Here's one link about the steroids:

I hope I've been able to be of at least some help.

- Rosa
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2008 at 12:46pm by Ungweliante »  

IP Logged

rose
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 3:45pm

Hi Rosa,
Thanks once again for replying. One theory because she's had nerve pain in the past is that the constant pain is caused by another condition. The pain at night/early morning my daughter describes as much worse and like a red rot poker going through her head or "the worst pain ever" and that she's "dying" which does seem to last around that time frame but can happen several times in a 24 hour period. No there's no drooping eyelid, she cn sweat a lot or get a runny nose but whether this is from all the crying and screaming.. She seems to find the pain's worse when she lies down and tends to rock violently, bang her head or hit herself. I think we've tried low dose steriods before with no effect but we'll definately try suggesting it again. The side effects of the verapamil is certainly very worrying especially with her POT syndrome - a condition causing very low blood pressure and her heart to work three times as hard as the normal heart when standing. I think that's the reason he's increasing it slowly and starting her on a low dose to get a balance with her other medication if it is the correct diagnosis does the verapmil have to be on a certain dosage for it to work maybe explaining why it's not been working yet? Thank you very much for the links - we'll certainly be asking our neuro a lot of questions when we next see him - and for taking your time to reply. Smiley
Deb

IP Logged

BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 4:44pm

Hi Rose

It does seem your child is in a lot of pain and we all feel for her deeply however it does not sound like CH to me the word cluster in its self explains it well how ever she does seem to have bad head problems and it seems the drugs we use help her but not stop the pain i would say that you need to get her to a different doc asap

On another note from my experiance cluster headaches are that bad you could not live with that pain constantly it makes big grown men like me turn in to sobbing children never mind a 14 years old child laying down is never a option and sitting still is impossable

your little one seems to be in great pain and i feel for her deeply and i hope you can get the help she needs i just dont think these drugs are the answer for her i would say if the verapamil was going to work it would have done by now

PF wishes to your little one and i hope you get it fixed sooner than later

Regards Brian

PF Wishes to all.&&We all live with this crap But it is not who we are dont let it control you!!!.

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 5:21pm

You're very welcome, rose Smiley

How big was the steroid dose you tried? I myself get complete remission of my Cluster Headache with doses of 40mg of Prednisolon per day. If my Cluster Headache -attacks would come mostly in the evening and during the night, I'd probably take the steroids a couple of hours before the evening or divide the daily dose in three equal amounts. Taking the steroids in the evening / just before going to sleep is the most harmful way of taking them considering the body's own steroid production, as the chemoreceptors in the body will then notice that there is already a big amount of steroids in the body, when there should be a low amount, and thus won't produce much more steroids in the morning. However, this will happen anyways when you use steroids on a long-term basis. A short-term trial of for example around two weeks shouldn't cause many side-effects or any kind of permanent drop in the steroids production to be worried about.

I can't say that I'm any kind of expert at POT-syndrome, but what you said sounds quite bad. Verapamil is a calcium-channel blocker which dilates the blood vessels and lowers the blood-pressure. You're saying that your daughter already has a constant very low blood pressure? I'd definitely be very careful about raising the daily dosage of Verapamil any further above the 240mg per day that you already have. For many who suffer from Cluster Headaches, a daily dose of 480mg of Verapamil is required to get help for the pain. Some require amounts as high as 1200mg per day. I myself have a normal pulse of around 60, but it dropped to 40 when I was using 480mg of Verapamil per day and thus had to stop taking it.

Fortunately, there are other drugs that you can try out for the headaches - topiramate and sodium valproate to name a few. Both of them have been used for Cluster Headaches and also some other types of headaches with relatively good success. They don't work for everyone, though. Something inexpensive what you could easily try would be to apply ice to the areas of her head which hurt during these nightly attacks. Cold acts to both suppress activity of the nerves which carry the pain-signals to the brain and also to constrict the blood vessels. I've used ice with somewhat good success myself against my Cluster Headaches - it needs to be applied so that the areas get really cold, though. I usually only have a thin plastic film between the ice and my skin.

High or low blood pressure, which POT-syndrome causes, is very often linked to chronic headaches. I think it definitely could be one factor in why your daughter has a chronic headache. However, like I said before, I don't have really any experience with POT-syndrome or knowledge of how to treat it. Does your daughter faint while standing up? I understand that's one of the defining characteristics of POTS.

I wish I could help you further. Hopefully your daughter gets some respite from the pain soon.

- Rosa

IP Logged

BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 5:49pm

Hi rose and rosa i do understand you trying to help rosa but i do think suggesting any drugs to try is a mistake as this is a child we are talking about and a child with a illness that effects blood pressure and most likey effects the heart with no clear diagnosis of cluster headaches.

i would hope that rose would not try any drugs or other therapies with her daughter with out consulting her Doctor first,and im sure she would not

i understand your frustration rose as your child is in pain and you cant fix it but with out a clear diagnoses medication advise from us is not really advisable apart from arming you with knowlage for the doctors im sure this community will support you as much as they can weather your little one is a clusterhead or not we are here for you

Regards
Brian

PF Wishes to all.&&We all live with this crap But it is not who we are dont let it control you!!!.

IP Logged

superhawk2300
CH.com Hall of Famer

New Berlin, WI
Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 10:41pm

I think that 8 weeks on verap is a lot, esp if the dosage has gone up.

Lots of people state they typically use really high doses of verap for long times.

I can't stand being on the stuff at all. I can feel my body crumbling when I am on it - it is so hard to breathe.

I would get a second opinion if your doc wants to run the verap any longer, esp if it isn't working.

Hope brighter days are headed your way.....

WWW 1107217852  
IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 11:06pm

I'm sorry you're going through this, I've been down the road of 'we don't know what's wrong' myself since I was about 9 years old. My Mom has had to keep pressing doctors to find out half of what is wrong with me, if the Verapamil isn't working, I'd suggest going back until they run every single diagnostic test they can.

A lot of them aren't nice to go through, but there are things MRI's and CT scans do not show, and several kinds of headaches not listed there. It took a lot to find out some of my neurological problems.... I hope you find something to help her soon!

Pain free wishes for your daughter!

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!