Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My husband suffers cluster headaches (Read 2096 times)
nikkib
CH.com Newbie

What doesn't kill you
makes you stronger!

x0|Somewhere|United_Kingdom||0|0|
My husband suffers cluster headaches
Jul 9th, 2008 at 9:31am

I joined last year when my husband's CH's left me feeling helpless and hopeless. There was nothing I could do to help him (obviously). Then, after reading through this site, I discovered that his GP was failing to give him all the info he needed and I pushed and pushed and finally got oxygen for him, which helped tremendously. So firstly thank you  Smiley.
He was in remission for some months after that, but then they came back. After seeing the neurologist he was prescribed a course of steroids which aborted the attacks for about a month. Then they started in January this year(2008)and are still going and they seem to have changed totally. They are just as frequent, but most seemed to be manageable with the oxygen and the meds. Now he is getting more unmanageable ones(the real headbanging ones), one recently actually had him collapse in the road outside our house, the oxygen really helps, but doesnt resolve it totally.
I find myself again in the situation of a helpless onlooker, desperate to help my husband, but understand that I cant, no one can, other than by being there in whatever capacity, even if that is not sitting with him at the times of the attacks. You do whatever is necessary to help.
I would hate to tell him how much that they upset me (that would upset him), because what I go through watching him is infinately so much less than what he goes through with the suffering of them, so I put on a brave face and smile compassionately and tell him I am ok, that I am coping. The fact of the matter is that I am coping, because that is what I do, but I spend each and every waking moment (even the middle of the night moments) worrying about him and hoping that this might be the last one and remission might start again, he so needs a break and so do I.
I am writing this for 3 reasons, 1 I needed to get it off my chest and you guys seemed the obvious people to tell. 2. Hopefully my experiences will help someone else to feel understood and 3 I am hoping that someone will be able to offer me words of wisdom or support that makes me feel better.
I so hate to have a winge and I know that I dont really suffer because of my husbands condition. I, in no way, want to make out that I feel that anything I go through is on a par with a sufferer, because it isnt, it isnt even close. However as the wife of a sufferer it does have its effects, mostly because I feel so helpless and because I want to help, I need to be able to help him, but I cant.
I am not looking for a cure all, because I know there isnt one. I am just looking for a place to vent when it gets difficult for me to watch his suffering and hopefully an empathetic ear.
I hope I havent over-stepped the mark on this site, as that wasnt the intention.
Thanks for listening.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Re: My husband suffers cluster headaches
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 9:49am

Hi Nikki,

You are a sweetheart!  You help your husband more than you know just by being there and caring!  Of course you feel frustrated!  Who wouldn't?  The people that love us suffer right along with us.

Make use of the supporters section of this site.  There are some really wonderful people that can offer you advice  much better than I can.  They will be along soon.

Your post was so sweet I just wanted to welcome you and encourage you to stick around.  The people that are here for us are our angels!

Encourage your hubby to visit here.  This place has helped me soooo much!

Hang in there!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 10:35am

Hi Nikki!

1st, don't ever appologize for venting.  You suffer differently but you still suffer greatly.  Your love and empathy for my cluster brother is obvious and brings tears to my eyes.  This post gives voice to what my wife goes through but doesn't talk about.  Thank you for being there for him.

Now why don't you tell us a bit about the meds he is using.  That'll give us some frame of reference from which to offer advise.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

nikkib
CH.com Newbie

What doesn't kill you
makes you stronger!

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 11:36am

Thank you guys, your words of encouragement and support mean more than you will ever know.

DennisM ... my husband is on purely abortive meds, Zomig and Imigran injection system (not at the same time) and oxygen prescribed at 6LPM but we up it to 15LPM .. due to trial and error not knowledge, but the forum seems to agree that is the right dose. He now has a non returnable mask, although the GP wouldnt allow him one!!! He had a 2 week course of steroid in December last year at the onset of the cluster, which did abort it for about a month, but doesnt seem to have really helped. The clusters have now changed from 2 x 3 months per year with remission between to this year being the 7th continuous month of them.  The Zomig works quite well in as much as it seems to abort the cluster eventually, but also seems to mostly keep them away for a few hours at a time. The Imigran works fairly imediately, within 20 mins, but doesnt keep the clusters away for any length of time. The oxygen is the most effective tool that he has, but even so that doesnt always work, but it does make them slightly more comfortable. We also used strong coffee at the time of an attack, I now have several bottles of energy drinks in the fridge after reading the forum.
In the past he has had verapimil, but that wasnt effective for him, he has also tried beta blockers but they also didnt work.
Hopefully that gives you a reference to advise me from. Thank you for your kind words and support.

IP Logged

Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Oregon City|USA||0|0|OR,Oregon
Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 12:29pm

AWW, Nikki! You are doing an excellent job, dear! A couple of thoughts..
1-the beast morphs a lot.... his cycles change, he finds new ways to interfere with life in general.so, the answer to 'can we predict anything" is no..........
2-If the Verap didn't work on it's own, there are other meds which can be used in conjunction, but first, I would talk to the Dr about dosage. Additionally, Verapamil is one of those meds that has to have time to 'load into" your system-did you give it several weeks when you tried it?
3-There is a LOT more infor here, if you simply read through all the buttons on the left.and even MORE if you ask questions here, in this forum! More important, when your man is feeling pretty good, take time out and ask him what he would LIKE YOU to do when his gets hit.
MOST important, try not to let him see you unnerved by the beast. Guilt has NO place in Clusterville.....take care of YOU, as well..........it's one way of letting the beast know he will NOT destroy your life together!
Hang tight, and know we are here 24/7!
Cathi Kiss

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 12:32pm

Hi Nikki,

The Imigram is the same as Imitrex, I believe.  The more I use, the more I need.  It causes rebound HA.  How much Verapamil was he taking?  I am helped with a fairly low dose at 360mg.  Some take as  much as 1200mg.   Others take Lithium while others take a combo of both Lithium and Verapamil.   What works for one cycle may not for the next.  Finding a Dr. that is willing to listen to your suggestions and try new things may be hard.  My Dr. didn't even want to give me the 360mg of Verap.  I had to beg!  I can't imagine if I would have had to go higher.

I hope you guys find relief soon. 

Take care,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 7:49pm

I am very new but felt I had to reply. first I have very little support from my wife, so essentially I battle the beast in the basement by myself when i can. I love her so much but i think she doesn't know what to do either and refuses to educate herself. at least you are.
  as far as what i have found that works because i have doctor that doesn't understand ch much but is willing to experiment if given sound info. o2 15 lpm with a non-rebreather for 20 min, is the best tool if your using zomig like do make sure it is dissolving (sublingual) it is so much faster. you can help the most by learning because quite frankly as a cluster head you can get tired and just throw in the towel.
thats my to cents and what works for me of course i use other preventive things topamax and gabapentin.
but you are a real angel to your husband don't give up the fight, don't let the beast win please!!!! your husband needs you. I know i need mine.
karl

IP Logged

nikkib
CH.com Newbie

What doesn't kill you
makes you stronger!

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 10:10pm

Again, thank you guys, you are a great support.

You have made me realise that I am not useless and that my gut instincts in this are right.

A while back I waited till he was not in the midst of these and asked him what I can do best to help him when he is getting/got one. Consequently I am there with him when he needs me to be and not when he doesnt.. well mostly anyway, sometimes I think I dont guage it right.

I phone for his oxygen deliveries and for his meds and collect them, throw the kettle on and make strong coffee at the onset of one etc etc.

Phew it is good to know that I am actually helping. Until you all told me, I felt I wasnt doing anything to help, thank you all, I now realise that I am doing at least something to help.

I know I will still be upset by them, watching what he has to go through and being unable to take the pain away. Putting a brave face on the constant swapping between him reaching out to me and then suddenly turning away from me, but at least I now know that it is the beast and not my husband that causes that.

It is so reasuring to know that what he goes through is what every clusterhead goes through and that although it has changed it's pattern dramatically, that too is to be expected in as much as you shouldnt expect it to be reliable (so totally the wrong word, but you know what I mean).

I have 2 other concerns that I would like to air, I hope that is ok.

1 a couple of weeks ago he had such a bad one that it caused him to colapse in the street, he had been driving and arrived home as it hit really badly. He had pins and needles right through his body and the consequence of that was that he really thought that this one had 'got him' he didnt want to die on the side of the road.
I dealt with it by getting him in (with help from my 11 yr old son) and onto the oxygen, it then subsided fairly quickly. After the crisis had passed I actually got scared (not that I let on to my husband) and wondered if one of these could take him away from me? I am assuming not, in the more logical moments, but the element of doubt has now crept in and that one is quite difficult to cope with. Of course I will cope cos I love him and cos coping is what I do. Any suggestions?

2. His work, despite them kind of understanding the situation, is now following their protocol for anyone having a certain amount of time off work (he has had less than 2 weeks off in the past 7+ months) and he is being watched for time off sick, their argument being that it apears to be during the summer so is suspicious. He has had to see their medical people, who had to write a report on him (fortunately their medical ppl do understand the condition and did explain in the report that it can be a seasonal condition). I am concerned that this is going to affect his job and an outstanding promotion. Does anyone know what the legalities of the situation are? (We are in the UK, so I am assuming that both UK and european law applies).

One of the main trigger, we think, for his CH is weather changes and air pressures and because of the weather here being so changable at the moment he is suffering quite badly.  I am sure it isnt the only thing that causes them, and most of the time it is unexplainable, but weather does seem to be a factor

Anyway, once again, thank you all so very much  Grin

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #8 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 12:49pm

Hi again Nikki!
Quote:
He had pins and needles right through his body and the consequence of that was that he really thought that this one had 'got him' he didnt want to die on the side of the road.

I'd run this one by his Doctor before I'd be comfortable.  This is something I routinely do any time my symptoms change from the norm.  They'll tell you if you should be worried or not.

As for CH, it hurts like hell but it won't kill you.

Quote:
2. His work, despite them kind of understanding the situation, is now following their protocol for anyone having a certain amount of time off work (he has had less than 2 weeks off in the past 7+ months) and he is being watched for time off sick...

Does he bring Oxygen to work?  I have an e-tank in my cube and break it out anytime I get an attack.  I've had great support from the people here after they watched me abort a few hits.  No one even notices anymore.

Quote:
One of the main trigger, we think, for his CH is weather changes and air pressures and because of the weather here being so changable at the moment he is suffering quite badly.

I've heard this before.  I believe BararaD gets hit similarly.

Quote:
my husband is on purely abortive meds

This is probably the biggest change he can make.  Not putting the beast in a bottle with an effective abortive med makes you use more triptans which has been shown to prolong cycles in some.  There are folks here who combine Verapamil with Lithium with great results.  He just needs to find the magic combination for him.  That'll take some time and experimentation.

When he does choose a path make sure he stays with it long enough.  I know from personal experience that it takes two full weeks for Verapamil to become effective.

What dosage of verapamil was he on?

My theraputic dose was 400mg which is relatively low by CH standards.  The other thing I did was to use the regular release formulation instead of the extended release.  That allowed me to regulate the dosage throughout the day making more of the med available at the time when my attacks would come.

AM = 80mg
Noon = 80mh
PM = 120mg

I also found that I had to be very consistent with the timing.  If I was late with a single dose I was guaranteed shadows within 24 hours.  Miss a dose and I'd get hit.

So be patient.  Be persistent.  Continue to trust your gut.  You're doing great!

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 12:59pm

Your on the right track, keep doing what your doing.
all the best

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!