Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sleep for 30 minutes at a time? (Read 2420 times)
FGBD
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Marietta|USA||0|0|GA,Georgia
sleep for 30 minutes at a time?
Jul 12th, 2008 at 8:04pm

i just started my cycle the other day and i am not looking forward to the next couple of months. 

in the past, my headaches have gotten worse and have occurred more often as the cycle progresses. 

i seem to get one exactly after i have been asleep for 45 minutes, i then wake up, deal with it, and then go back asleep, only to wake up 45 minutes later with a worse headache.

do you think i would cut the number of headaches i receive if i set an alarm and only sleep in 30 minute increments?  i know this would be tough to do, but i think it may work better than not sleeping at all because i am scared of a headache.

has anyone tried this?  any thoughts on this?

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: sleep for 30 minutes at a time?
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2008 at 8:22pm

You're waking up when you hit REM sleep.  Dreaming sleep during REM is a major trigger for many of us who get hit at night.

Bet you won't be able to keep it up for long.  Bad as the effect is on a clusterhead, we need REM sleep and can't do without it.  You'll keep setting your alarm clock earlier and earlier, until you hit REM sleep right after you fall asleep.  Your body will force you into REM sleep, whether you want to or not. 

There's the pointy part on the horns of dilemma. 

If you get hit a lot at night, you might want to try melatonin.  It's been pretty successful for many of us.  The average dose used is somewhere between 6-12 mg, taken an hour before bedtime. 

Speaking only from my own experience, it has cut down the number of hits I get at night significantly.  I use it nightly when in cycle, taper off at the end, and usually don't use it at all when I'm out of cycle.

As with any OTC supplement, check with your doctor first if you are using other medications.

Best wishes,

George
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2008 at 8:25pm by George »  

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Fig
CH.com Newbie

Let It Be

x0|Rochester|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2008 at 8:27pm

I've never tried anything like this and quite honestly don't think I ever would! Being shocked out of sleep to avoid a headache doesn't seem to be very helpful. If you think more sleep will bring on another attack, how about just resting quietly?  I hope you remain pain free or at least have very few attacks. Take care.  Marion

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2008 at 8:42pm

You might try a longer acting triptan like Amerge right before bed. In the worst part of my cycle, an Amerge before bed will get me 6-7 hours uninterrupted.

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 10:56pm

FGBD wrote on Jul 12th, 2008 at 8:04pm:
i

i seem to get one exactly after i have been asleep for 45 minutes, i then wake up, deal with it, and then go back asleep, only to wake up 45 minutes later with a worse headache.

welcome to the club my friend.

i agree with everything that george said. if you sleep in half hour increments your not going to get into your REM cycle and thats when you get hit. your also not going to get any rest. the melatonin works really well but you have to give it a few days to work and try not to over do it in desperation. i sleep sitting up in a lazy boy. once i tried sleeping with o2 set on 2 lpm with a nose piece in my mouth.  don't use the mask you could suffocate yourself. i also recommend some type of hydrater. it will make your mouth dry. that in its self would get me a good 3 or 4 hours and when i did wake up to a hit it was somewhat manageable.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

tuck
CH.com Veteran

Damn this cross is heavy
!

Gillespie , Illinois
Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 12:08am

hey dude, in my most recent cycle i tried melatonin, 9mg's about an hour before bed,, it was a miracle!!!!!! i'm sure it doesnt work for everyone , but it did for me, i would get a rare hit 4 to 5 hours into sleep , but o2 knocked it right down in about 3 minutes. if you havent tried melatonin, it might be worth a try. good luck and God bless!   Tuck

cancer shmancer,, i get cluster headaches!

IP Logged

shaktima
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Phoenix|USA||0|0|AZ,Arizona
Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 4:22am

I know what you mean.  I am into almost 3 mos of nonstop, every other night clusters hitting me during REM sleep, I am destroyed, exhausted.  I cannot go to doctor as employer took away all of our insurance and do not have money to go to doctor.  Am using Red Bull, Excedrin Migraine and prayer.  I do not know when this is going to ever end, if it will.  I am also dealing with enormous stress after the death of my precious father almost 3 months ago and I cannot get a break.  All I freakin want is a good night's sleep with no pain!  But that seems not to be.  If there is a hell, this is truly hell for me.  Is there any way to get oxygen without a prescription?  Is there is any hope?  I don't think so......I swear I could sleep for weeks if I just would not get these damned headaches!  The pain is so bad, my head, my face, I live for ice, massage,  pain meds.  Maybe death really is a wonderful release.  But I keep living in my pain, just really wanting to die....having to work and so exhausted.  I tell ya, these damn headaches are making me almost suicidal.........there's gotta be something better than this!  Three months, time to end already!
*tears*

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 6:50am

shaktima wrote on Jul 15th, 2008 at 4:22am:
Is there any way to get oxygen without a prescription?

Welder's oxygen. It's the same stuff. Take some time off work and get yourself hooked up. Do it today.

IP Logged

darknight
CH.com Veteran

Ever danced with the devil
by the pale moonlight?

x0|Manchester|Great_Britain||0|0|
Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 11:01am

Have you tried Sleeping tablets, I was suffering the odd attack at night and asked my doc for some tablets so i am able to drop right back off and ive never woken with one once ive taken a tablet!

This is My Gift My Curse!!

IP Logged

Lawmandave
CH.com Junior

If you want peace, prepare
for war!!!

Johnstown, Pa
Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 4:04pm

Like it hasn't been said enough, once more wont hurt!!!  Try Melatonin, it worked for me.  It didnt stop every night hit but cut them way down.  Hope it helps!!!

Dave

Lawmandave  
IP Logged

Mattcentralnewyork
CH.com Newbie

Keep fighting.  You're
not alone!

Syracuse, NY
Reply #10 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 8:00pm

My two cents....I'm not sure if it was the Melatonin or the other drugs I'm on, but I've been better since taking it.

For what it's worth,

Matt

mjsabre0325  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #11 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 8:05pm

shaktima wrote on Jul 15th, 2008 at 4:22am:
I know what you mean.  I am into almost 3 mos of nonstop, every other night clusters hitting me during REM sleep, I am destroyed, exhausted.  I cannot go to doctor as employer took away all of our insurance and do not have money to go to doctor.  Am using Red Bull, Excedrin Migraine and prayer.  I do not know when this is going to ever end, if it will.  I am also dealing with enormous stress after the death of my precious father almost 3 months ago and I cannot get a break.  All I freakin want is a good night's sleep with no pain!  But that seems not to be.  If there is a hell, this is truly hell for me.  Is there any way to get oxygen without a prescription?  Is there is any hope?  I don't think so......I swear I could sleep for weeks if I just would not get these damned headaches!  The pain is so bad, my head, my face, I live for ice, massage,  pain meds.  Maybe death really is a wonderful release.  But I keep living in my pain, just really wanting to die....having to work and so exhausted.  I tell ya, these damn headaches are making me almost suicidal.........there's gotta be something better than this!  Three months, time to end already!
*tears*

This is the place to vent.... And we DO know how you feel.

I've been in a high cycle since about April (I'm chronic - my last "cycle" started in July of 97 and I've had very few PF days since then) - that's several hits a day, so I DO understand. But this will pass and we'll all get back to a "normal" lifestyle until the next time.

Try some melatonin (12-15mg) before bedtime. This has helped me get thru the night. Most of the time I sleep and it gives me the rest I need to get thru the day hits.

O2 helps abort the hits during the day (along with lots of coffee, Red Bull, some Excedrin - but be careful with the Excedrin they can cause rebounds).

Today, I had to be out visiting clients and got hit three times in a few hours (without my O2). It was a real fun day - thanks to Red Bull and Excedrin, I got thru my client calls and am now at home with my trusty O2.

But you live with these things for enough years, you learn to live to the fullest during the PF times and endure the painful times. That's what so great about this board. We all get to the "give up" point occasionally and come here and someone will kick our rear and we always feel better afterwards. I've been doing that for about 10 years now. Trust me - it works.

If you get really down - PM me your phone number and I'll call you or let me know and I'll send you mine (your call) and we'll talk one on one. But whatever - we're here for SUPPORT....

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!