Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Greetings From Cambridge, UK (Read 1115 times)
RichS
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Cambridge,England
Greetings From Cambridge, UK
Jul 18th, 2008 at 6:43am

Hello all

Great to know there are others out there to offer me a shoulder to bash my head on and hopefully share your experiences too.
Just been diagnosed with this delightful malaise after countless years of being told its sinusitis,migraine and numerous other possible complaints including needing glasses.

Is it normal for the pain to also affect the ear/cheek/jaw/ teeth and sometimes get bumps on my head too.
Got the splitting headaches and gungy eye and just not sure what else to expect.

The Sumatriptan that I was prescribed yesterday did help and for the first time got some relier when in the past I have tried numerous painkillers to no avail.

Nice to meet you all and hope you have many pain free nights and days
Rich
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2008 at 6:59am by RichS »  

This is my opinion, if you don't like it I have others

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Re: Greetings From Cambridge, UK
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 7:49am

Hi Rich, welcome to our eccentric little family. This is a great place to get advice from fellow sufferers or to just find an ear that'll listen and understand. As you see, there are several Europeans here.

Yes, this headache is known to radiate to behind the ear, into your jaw/teeth, neck, cheek, temple, eyesocket and other cozy places.
Not sure what you mean by bumps on the head  - do you mean a sensation like your scalp is scourged?  Then yes. If not, please explain what it's like.

Sumatriptan (Imigran/Imitrex) injectables are a great abortative, coz as you've noticed, other painkillers will get you no relieve whatsoever. This is supposed to be the worst headache, and is known to not even be stopped by morphine. So go figure haha.
Do you have an oxygentank you can use as an alternative abortive? If not, make sure you get it asap. The Imigran can only be used twice a day, so oxygen is no luxury.

Which preventatives have been subscribed to you?
In the meantime, try to stop the lesser hits with an energy drink in the vein of Red Bull. Make sure you get the right ones, with both Taurine and loads of caffeine.

Anyway, welcome and painfree wishes from the Netherlands!

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 8:46am

Here is your local group. A solid bunch doing good work.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
=======
HERE ARE TWO MAJOR DOCUMENTS WITH RECOMMENDED TREATMENTS FOR CLUSTER HEADACHE, ONE FROM A U.S. PHYSICIAN, THE SECOND FROM EUROPE.
Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002. Rozen)
================
Treatment guidelines from Europe

------
A. May, M. Leone, J. Áfra, M. Linde, P. S. Sándor, S. Evers, P. J. Goadsby:
EFNS guidelines on the treatment of cluster headache and other
trigeminalautonomic cephalalgias.
European Journal of Neurology. 2006; 13: 1066–1077.

Download free full text:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
(Thanks to "cluster" for link.)

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

RichS
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Cambridge,England
Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 9:14am

Thanks to you both for the info and any tips are very welcome. Sort of relieved to finally know what is wrong and slightly annoyed it wasn't diagnosed earlier.

The bumps are more at the base of my head/neck really, sort of heading towards behind my ear. That's the trouble not too sure what is related to the CH, but an awful lot of the other symptoms are certainly present.

Thanks again for the info and have a good pain free weekend
Rich

This is my opinion, if you don't like it I have others

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!