Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Combinations of meds (Read 1230 times)
Mrs. Wishbone
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Birmingham, Alabama
Combinations of meds
Jul 20th, 2008 at 8:10pm

Hi to anyone out there.  I would like to know your thoughts on combinations of meds.  I know that every clusterhead reacts differently to different meds and different combination of meds but please let me know you thoughts on this.

My clusterhead is on 240 mg verapamil in am and pm, lithium 300 mg 2 x per day and topomax 200 mg in am and pm (when not in cycle he takes 100 mg topomax in am and pm).   This is alot of meds and side effects as you all know.  Of course, the side effects don't matter if the med prevents a ha.  If he trys to lower dosage to try and get off the meds he goes into cycle.   He also is on oxygen during cycle which is tremendous help. 

Your thoughts please dear friends.......

Julie

Julie Moss

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Re: Combinations of meds
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2008 at 10:29pm

The verapamil lithium combo has worked here for many.  The doses seem a little low.  Many take up to 960mg of verapamil and 900-1200mg of lithium seperatly.  Because they are being used together maybe a low dose of each is all that is needed.  If it works at this dosage for him and he doesn't have the nasty side effects that can go with verapamil or topamax I say it is worth it.  I wouldn't worry about the pill count if he can find some pain free time.  Oxygen is very good.  Glad to see he has a set up.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 11:59am

The bad thing about combos is, what did what when? That and the combination of side effects. The doctor guinea piggin drugs goes on.
"My headaches are slacking off ,but I am having problems hitting my ass with my hat". The trade off is worth it, too much pain.
Rock-vs-Hardspot Smiley
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

Gator
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 1:49pm

Julie, some clusterheads require a combination of meds to tame the beast.  Verapamil and Lithium is a common combination that works for some.  Adding the Topamax to that combination is new to me, but if it works and your husband can function normally, this is a good thing.  As was said, y'all have to decide if the trade off is worth it.

For me, verapamil and lithium didn't work, alone or in combination.  Topamax made me dumb as a box of rocks and actually made my attacks worse.

So did y'all ditch the O2 concentrator and get a tank and regulator set up, yet?  Wink

Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!