Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How to stop an attack in its tracks w/o meds or o2 (Read 14031 times)
The Spaniard
CH.com Newbie

Growing a new brain hurts
like hell, doesn´t it?

x0|Alicante|Spain||0|0|
How to stop an attack in its tracks w/o meds or o2
Jul 21st, 2008 at 5:17am

One morning I woke up and I knew you were really gone
A new day, a new way and new eyes to see the dawn
Go your way, I'll go mine, carry on

The sky is clearing and the night has gone out
The sun, he come, the world is all full of love
Rejoice, rejoice, we have no choice but to carry on

The fortunes of fables are able to sing the song
Now witness the quickness with which we get along
To sing the blues you've got to live the tunes and carry on

Carry on love is coming
Love is coming to us all

"Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Carry On"

Couldn´t have worded my feelings about this better myself.

Have posted here before a long time ago when it all started for me and have been looking for permanent relief since. Anyway here now to post some hope.

To recap, male, 43Y, slightly overweight. Clusters started a few years back during summer. Detected and diagnosed because of the link with alcohol. Unilateral pain on the left side of the head and eye. I´ve been hanging on without any medication since which at times was really, really hard.

I´ve been looking for a consistent way to stop an attack ever since, and this summer it seems I have finally found one. My friends used to be strong coffee and tobacco, but I have a new best friend. Here goes, I hope I can word it all correctly.

As you will probably agree upon, summer time is bad for us. Dunno something with the change of season and the heat surely. In my case it meant a visit from my otherwise practically dormant demon, at the rate of three times a night. Sleep 2 hours - awake 45 minutes in agony - sleep 2 hours - awake 45 minutes in agony - sleep two hours - awake 45 minutes in agony. If I had a gun I probably would have shot myself at a certain point in time, luckily I do not have a gun.

By chance I found that if I got my left arm stretched out (I was clutching the window) I shaved off a pain point within minutes. Continuing this I started experimenting with my arms stretched out above my head and found the following exercise will stop an attack of any severity within minutes.

You wake up during the night in agony, grab your handkerchief and follow me.

1) Stand up straight immediately and look straight ahead.
2) Stretch out your arms to the max right over your head and make fists (one of your hands holds your handkerchief)
3) Bend your arms so your fists come together right over the top of your head
4) Gently touch the top of your head with the thumbs of your fists and immediately...
5) Pump (don´t throw) out your arms straight over your head, keeping your fists clenched

The outward motion is quick, inward is slow. Visualize a pump - you are pumping blood from your head to your arms - and continue for one or two minutes. Now stop and blow your nose thoroughly, long and hard.

Relief? If no, start at 1) again. You will know the end of the attack is near once your nose on the side of the attack starts to open, and there is actually something exiting from your nostril as opposed to just air.

What am I saying: you will know it in an instant.

If your arms are down and you are still 6 or 7 on the pain scale you must start again to avoid lingering shadows.

Doing this in front of a mirror I have seen my left eye go from alien red to an almost healthy white within two minutes. There are some variations to this, but the main thing is the pump motion.

Now, normally I would like any other summer accept my faith and suffer for six to eight weeks during my sleep as mentioned previously. But... Ever since doing this the attacks are actually DIMINISHING in frequency.

It has now been ten days before my last sleepless night and the attacks are completely gone (first time during summer in two years). I have been pumping for about a month now, and I have decided to post this because it has consistently helpt me. I will continue and report on the general state of recurrence.

Here is my list of what NOT to do. In my case any of this prolongues an attack.

Do NOT stroke or rub your head in any way. Do not obstruct the blood flow by rubbing your temple, eye, cheek or neck. Bad idea. Does work for about ten seconds - the pain will come back worse and linger for over an hour.

Do NOT force the blood to your head by holding your head between your knees. I used to think this was part of the solution but it is not. It will in most cases prolongue an attack.

Do NOT sit, do NOT lie down.

It is OK to wander around when pumping though. We all know at times the pain is absolute, and cannot be bargained with (9-10). Still, to give you some hope, I had a rare factor ten (blinding pain where your eye is shut and your environment becomes a blur) during the night a while back after celebrating and overconfidently had some beers. (U-huh). I got up, staggered to the bathroom and did the routine. You know, a factor 10 is nothing but a factor 7 which escalated because you did not wake up in time. In my case I was simply too intoxicated to wake up earlier. Sad but true. However it took me no more than five minutes to go from 10 to absolute zero. No shadows, no nothing. Now I can live with THAT after such a sinful evening.

I´m hoping this will bring relief to some of you too, and hopefully some of you can get rid of the chemicals you have been taking, that would be the biggest win. If the frequency of the attacks keeps diminishing, why not get rid of them all together? Now that would be something. Please let me know how you get along with this.

One more thing, you can do this seated or lying in bed too, although it works best standing up straight. Lying down or sitting it just takes a little longer for the pain to stop.

Good luck and feedback welcome.

The Spaniard.

Minds are like parachutes - they work best when open

IP Logged

Sandra von der Laage
Ex Member

Re: How to stop an attack in its tracks w/o meds or o2
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 7:20am

This sounds very strange. ???
Sandra
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2008 at 7:22am by N/A »  

IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 8:07am

Yes, it sounds strange.
But as long as it is working for him and he's happy with the results...

Oliver
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2008 at 8:08am by gizmo »  

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 8:27am

Hi Spaniard,

This sounds like another variation on the exercise theme.  Many others report relief from jogging or doing pushups.  Whatever diverts blood flow to the extremities and away from the head.

I'm glad you've found something that works for you.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 10:05am

I stick with verapamil (as preventative) and oxygen as abortive.

Have you tried these?

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 10:59am

DennisM1045 wrote on Jul 21st, 2008 at 8:27am:
This sounds like another variation on the exercise theme.  Many others report relief from jogging or doing pushups.  Whatever diverts blood flow to the extremities and away from the head.

Agreed.

It's interesting how different our approaches to handling an attack are. 

A long time ago, I used to exert myself considerably during an attack (mostly thrashing around, pacing rapidly, pounding on walls, etc.) until I figured out that I was increasing the intensity of the attack by reacting violently to it. 

Deliberately engaging in some sort of physical activity during an attack is probably different than what I was doing with all my thrashing.  Mine was more like the "fight or flight" response was triggered, with nowhere to go.  After all, you can't fight with the thing, and you can't run away--so you're left with rapid, shallow breathing, increased muscle tension, and increased blood flow.  All of that is bad during an attack, and seems to make things worse.

A lot of the effort I put into fighting the thing nowadays is directed toward controlling my reactions to a hit, calming myself, reducing my anxiety, slowing my heartbeat and breathing, and reducing my physical activity during an attack to near zero. 

Nevertheless, I've seen enough people on here who find relief in strenuous exercise during a hit to convince me that for some it is a worthwhile approach.  I couldn't bear it myself.

Best wishes,

George 
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2008 at 11:14am by George »  

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 11:23am

Simple...never relax, ever.
thebb

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 1:25pm

Spaniard - I admire your fortitude. But if what you're doing should ever fail you, I'd strongly recommend you try oxygen therapy as a backup. It doesn't work for everyone but if you can get it - and there are virtually no side effects - it's amazing.

But hey, if what you're doing works, I'm all in favor of it! I've been using Topamax during my now-completing cycle. But next time I get a hit that I can't prevent I'll certainly give your Spanish Pump a try.

David

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 2:41pm

Before I knew of other CHers, that's you guys, people 'd tell me to lie down during a hit. Probably because that's what a migraine sufferer does. But I couldn't, simply couldn't. It has always puzzled me. Why did I rock back and forth on the side of my bed, instead of lying down, why did I shake my legs in an upbeat rhythm? Maybe it soothed me somehow, maybe it made the blood flow differently?

What about the nasty ones? The ones that make you crawl, hit your head with your fists, punch your neck, pace through every room in the house, makes you thrown yourself to the floor or the sofa, while clutching your head with all your strength, only to get up again a few seconds later to march again. Why? I really don't know. All I knew it served a purpose. Somehow it helps to get through a hit, and this probably does so for you Spaniard. Whatever helps, do it.

Wishing you painfree days soon from the Netherlands.

Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 2:53pm

maalstroom wrote on Jul 21st, 2008 at 2:41pm:
why did I shake my legs in an upbeat rhythm?

Mebbee because you got da reggae beat in you, mahn. Grin

Spaniard - Pump on, dude! Any port in a storm.

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #10 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 3:00pm

Haha not quite Brew. It was more of a grindcore or deathmetal blastbeat.

IP Logged

The Spaniard
CH.com Newbie

like hell, doesn´t it?

x0|Alicante|Spain||0|0|
Reply #11 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 6:53pm

Quote:
I stick with verapamil (as preventative) and oxygen as abortive.

Have you tried these?

No, I have not. I have an aversion against the medical community and prescription drugs.

Quote:
Nevertheless, I've seen enough people on here who find relief in strenuous exercise during a hit to convince me that for some it is a worthwhile approach.  I couldn't bear it myself.

Well, this is not at all strenuous. Why not give it a try? All it will do is make your arms a little tired. The key is to re-route the blood away from your head asap. It´s really simple and has profound effects.

Quote:
But hey, if what you're doing works, I'm all in favor of it! I've been using Topamax during my now-completing cycle. But next time I get a hit that I can't prevent I'll certainly give your Spanish Pump a try.

Great! Let me know.

Quote:
What about the nasty ones? The ones that make you crawl, hit your head with your fists, punch your neck, pace through every room in the house, makes you thrown yourself to the floor or the sofa, while clutching your head with all your strength, only to get up again a few seconds later to march again. Why? I really don't know. All I knew it served a purpose. Somehow it helps to get through a hit, and this probably does so for you Spaniard. Whatever helps, do it.

I feel that. After the first year or so I found that staying as calm as possible during an attack (which takes tremendous amounts of self discipline and strength) reduces the intensity of the attack considerably. Just use a calm and calculated approach. Easy enough to say, but hard to do, I know. Get the blood away from your head. Simply raising your arms as high as you can and holding them there for as long as you can brings fast relief (but not as good as the pump).

Remember to blow that nose.

Thanks for the replies!

IP Logged

The Spaniard
CH.com Newbie

like hell, doesn´t it?

x0|Alicante|Spain||0|0|
Reply #12 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 6:58pm

AlienSpaceGuy wrote on Jul 21st, 2008 at 10:05am:
oxygen as abortive.

Just about O2, I have nothing against it, but I am too lazy to go to the local MD, get a referral to a Neurologist in Alicante to get the O2.

Simply cannot be bothered. Maybe not enough KIP-9+´s lately.

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #13 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 8:57pm

Good Grief   Tongue

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

Greg
CH.com Newbie

I Love You Guys Like Family

Tallahassee Florida
Reply #14 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 8:58pm

Thanks for the advice on the pump, i will definitly give it a try. I will try just about anything to keep from havin to drink 2 cups of coffee at 2 or 3 am.
  For the people that don't know caffein is a awsome aborter. I found i can drink 2 cups and be pain free in as little as 5 minutes. For the real bad headaches (8+) i take one or two BC powders with the coffee. It will make you jittery but as any Ch sufferer knows, you'll do anything to aliviate the pain.

Oh by the way, thanks a million for everyone involved in this website, users and creator alike. I found it just today after 5 years of suffering and not knowing what the hell was happening. When i read the first 3 posts i got goose bumbs. Describing to the T my syptoms and telling me what the doctor couldn't. I love all you guys like family, it's good to know i'm not alone now. I wish everyone a pain free day, and i look forward to talking to people that feel my pain.

Greg

IP Logged

The Spaniard
CH.com Newbie

like hell, doesn´t it?

x0|Alicante|Spain||0|0|
Reply #15 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 4:07am

Greg wrote on Jul 21st, 2008 at 8:58pm:
  I will try just about anything to keep from havin to drink 2 cups of coffee at 2 or 3 am.
  For the people that don't know caffein is a awsome aborter.

Isn´t it just? It saved my ass I tell ya. Anyway, day 11 of uninterrupted sleep now, feel better every day.

I forgot to mention I started a routine at bedtime of holding out my arms pointing them at the ceiling when flat on my back when going to sleep. I hold as long as I can which is about 5 minutes. Don´t know if it is just supersticion but no shadows when falling asleep and no middle of the night adventures. I do still have shadows during the day because I am still very much in my cycle. No pain though and that´s the most important fact to me.

I´ll get some Taurine in later in the day (2 x Red Devil) which should take care of the shadows as well. (See, forgot about that until I read about it here, this board is excellent for reminding yourself of things you can do.) Must visit more often from now on...

Thanks for sharing Greg, please let me know how you get along with the arms.

IP Logged

Greg
CH.com Newbie

I Love You Guys Like Family

Tallahassee Florida
Reply #16 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 4:16am

Thanks spaniard woke up at 3 am, an hour and ten minutes ago with a pacer...  immediatly did the arm pump. It took the edge off definitly, enough to were i could make a cup of coffee.  I appreciate the advice and wish your pain free days an nights to continue. Well i'm pretty exausted, even after drinkin that coffee. Goin back to sleep hopefully i'll make it through the night uniterrupted.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 1:13pm

Quote:
Goin back to sleep hopefully i'll make it through the night uniterrupted.

Melatonin. 3 to 9 mg daily Shocked
Helps with the nightime hits.
Sorry Spaniard, been there done that, and many variants thereof.
Dont work for me. Wish it did. Undecided
all the best
thebb
Pharmacutical alternative:
clusterbusters.com

IP Logged

The Spaniard
CH.com Newbie

like hell, doesn´t it?

x0|Alicante|Spain||0|0|
Reply #18 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 11:40am

Greg wrote on Jul 23rd, 2008 at 4:16am:
Thanks spaniard woke up at 3 am, an hour and ten minutes ago with a pacer...  immediatly did the arm pump. It took the edge off definitly

That´s great! Glad to see at least some results...

You have to be consistent, and not give up too soon, even though the pain is tremendous. Just continue, breathe, blow nose, continue breathe blow nose, etc...

I woke up after a noon nap yesterday with a solid 8, the end of my painfree spell after almost two weeks. I jumped up and out to the bathroom, did the routine and after about twelve minutes was down to acceptable 2/3. Shadows went after cup of strong coffee.

Again, this is good enough for me, as opposed to pacing, banging, crying and escalating all over the place.

Like these guys who posten on YouTube, I cannot understand them remaining seated during 9-10. I wish they would try NOT to block the artories or push against the eye, but rather raise both arms (at least) and pump them.

Ah well...

IP Logged

The Spaniard
CH.com Newbie

like hell, doesn´t it?

x0|Alicante|Spain||0|0|
Reply #19 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 11:48am

Quote:
[quote]been there done that, and many variants thereof.
Dont work for me. Wish it did. Undecided

Hi thebbz,

I thought you had positive permanent results using hallucogenics, or was that someone else? BTW, I will probably like Greg try Psilocybe cubensis at some point in time to see if it gives long term relief.

In any case sorry to hear the pump (or rerouting of the blood flow) did not work for you. It truly does wonders for me, it feels like a power tool and brings so much confidence and relief.

I finally have something to fight the demon...

There are more things that bring (some) relief, but this is the best non-medical I have found. If it helps only one further individual this was worth the post...

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #20 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 11:54am

[quote author=1C3D1F3D2037111A520 link=1216631845/0#19 date=1216914501
If it helps only one further individual this was worth the post...

[/quote]

Agreed!

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #21 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 11:55am

The Spaniard wrote on Jul 21st, 2008 at 6:58pm:
AlienSpaceGuy wrote on Jul 21st, 2008 at 10:05am:
oxygen as abortive.

Just about O2, I have nothing against it, but I am too lazy to go to the local MD, get a referral to a Neurologist in Alicante to get the O2.

Simply cannot be bothered. Maybe not enough KIP-9+´s lately.

Yer too lazy to get o2?  Maybe yer a meegrainer.

Potter

IP Logged

The Spaniard
CH.com Newbie

like hell, doesn´t it?

x0|Alicante|Spain||0|0|
Reply #22 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 12:05pm

Potter wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 11:55am:
        Yer too lazy to get o2?  Maybe yer a meegrainer.

Nope, quite sure I´m not a "meegrainer". Wish I was, because treatment would be soooo much easier.

See yer.

Heh heh.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #23 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 12:33pm

The Spaniard wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 12:05pm:
Potter wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 11:55am:
        Yer too lazy to get o2?  Maybe yer a meegrainer.

Nope, quite sure I´m not a "meegrainer". Wish I was, because treatment would be soooo much easier.

See yer.

Heh heh.

What is easier than oxygen?  You waste all this time and energy promoting the hokey pokey, yet you are without the preferred treatment.  I surmise you are, as you say, just lazy.

Potter

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 12:40pm

Quote:
I thought you had positive permanent results using hallucogenics, or was that someone else?

No that is me, In my third year. My relief has come after 25 years of many many doctors and neurologists wearing out their pen on perscriptions, and many many failed attempts at relief using stupid tecniques and remedies your describing. One of the physical mechanisms of CH is vascular. It is no secret that cardiovascular stimulation can provide temporary relief. It is just that temporary. The next hit will come, can your technique stop that? Some people report an increase in pain using these techniques. Had you done some research you would have known that.
Caffeine is your abort. The rest is in your head.
Come on Spaniard get real. GET 02
IMHO
thebb Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!