Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How to stop an attack in its tracks w/o meds or o2 (Read 14035 times)
The Spaniard
CH.com Newbie

Growing a new brain hurts
like hell, doesn´t it?

x0|Alicante|Spain||0|0|
Re: How to stop an attack in its tracks w/o meds or o2
Reply #25 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 1:22pm

Potter wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 12:33pm:
What is easier than oxygen? 

Pumping your arms, maybe?

But hey, who´s forcing you? This is not a treatment contest, is it?

Whatever works for you my friend...

Minds are like parachutes - they work best when open

IP Logged

The Spaniard
CH.com Newbie

like hell, doesn´t it?

x0|Alicante|Spain||0|0|
Reply #26 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 1:25pm

Quote:
[quote]The next hit will come, can your technique stop that? Some people report an increase in pain using these techniques. Had you done some research you would have known that.
Caffeine is your abort. The rest is in your head.
Come on Spaniard get real. GET 02
IMHO
thebb Smiley

Well, the abort is quite real for me, but again, each his own. Içm not going to drag around O2 bottles unless I have too.

Thanks.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 1:30pm

Quote:
This is not a treatment contest, is it?

These are treatments Wink
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
What you have is an antidote. An old one at that. Shocked
all the best
thebb Cheesy

IP Logged

Greg
CH.com Newbie

I Love You Guys Like Family

Tallahassee Florida
Reply #28 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 2:10pm

How much is a non rebreather and a tank without insurance? and does anyone know how i could get imitrex for under 240$ for 9 pills (was just perscribed by the doctor today). Thanks and i wish a pain free day to us all.

Greg

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #29 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 2:18pm

Greg, here's a link to a Canadian pharmacy and their imitrex page - brand and generic. think you'll find the prices much much better. All you have to do is fax them your prescription, although it can take a couple of weeks to get the goods:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

As for O2.... like many here I use a welder's tank. At least locally in Los Angeles I was able to buy quite a big one - think it's about 80 cubic feet - and a regulator for about $300. I figure it's a good investment, and fills are only 18 bucks. The masks are fairly cheap I think at some websites. I got mine from my good friends at the local fire station!

Hope this helps.
David
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2008 at 2:19pm by Balanchine »  

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 2:23pm

search ebay for regulators ect...Medical 02 prices can vary. Welders 02 is cheaper. I have a couple of NRB mask's if you cant find one let me know.
thebb Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Greg
CH.com Newbie

Tallahassee Florida
Reply #31 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 2:35pm

Thanks a million bb. Ill look it up and get back with you... I am pretty broke these days. The doctor visits (200$) and the imitex (240$) hurt me pretty good. But on the bright side i havn't even had a shadow since yestday after after drinkin jungle juice Grin. Thats what i call it.. Tee Hee Hee Grin

IP Logged

Greg
CH.com Newbie

Tallahassee Florida
Reply #32 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 2:58pm

Ok i added it up 16.50$ for mask accessories, 21.95$ for a regulator and 91.87$ for a 40 cf welding tank. For a total of 130.32$. Sound about right? Supprisingly cheaper than i thought.  Wink

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #33 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 10:20pm

The Spaniard wrote on Jul 21st, 2008 at 6:58pm:
AlienSpaceGuy wrote on Jul 21st, 2008 at 10:05am:
oxygen as abortive.

Just about O2, I have nothing against it, but I am too lazy to go to the local MD, get a referral to a Neurologist in Alicante to get the O2.

Simply cannot be bothered. Maybe not enough KIP-9+´s lately.

Hi Spaniard,

I can appreciate your general comments. Hey, I'll try anything and something new intrigues me. That's why we are here...

Now, the comment above, that's way beyond what I can fathom. From 1982 til 1985 I had no idea what was wrong with me and neither did multiple doctors. I went through DAILY multiple 9's that had me questioning my ability to remain sane AND alive. When I finally found O2 (through the then National Migraine Foundation and now the National Headache Foundation my life was literally saved).

Holy shit, I CAN deal with this nightmare and all it takes is a metal cylinder of O2 and the right mask!!!! LIFE CHANGING my friend.

I find the comment above highly offensive. There are no lazy clusterheads. Life is already a bitch, add CH and it is infinitely worse. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands here who have found relief through O2. The least side effects with the most efficacy of ANYTHING

Can't be "bothered" to try. Perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever seen on this board. Criminy, I'm holding my tongue in disbelief...

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Greg
CH.com Newbie

Tallahassee Florida
Reply #34 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 1:07pm

Thanks for the link on the pharmacy David. It outta save me a truck load  Smiley

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #35 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 1:23pm

You're welcome, Greg. That's only one of the more prominent pharms from our great friends to the north. If you've got time you might try a search of canadian online pharmacies.... I just tried 2 or 3 back when I was looking for a place to get cheap(er) Lipitor. You may even be able to beat that price!

D

IP Logged

Greg
CH.com Newbie

Tallahassee Florida
Reply #36 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 4:43pm

Nice!!

IP Logged

Greg
CH.com Newbie

Tallahassee Florida
Reply #37 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 5:25pm

I just realized why my imitrex cost so much... I paid for a name  Huh 
MFG. Glaxo Smith Kline. They are pretty to look at though lol. Wish they had the Generic at my pharmacy, they're about half the price according to the sites i looked at.

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #38 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 5:30pm

Yes, the generics are of course cheaper. Personally I've never found any difference and always look for them for any drug if they're available. With Imitrex I've had both and the generic worked equally well for me.

In my experience, as mass market US pharmacies go, if you can get to a Costco you'll generally find better prices - and you don't need to be a member to fill prescriptions there. But if you're paying out of your own pocket, north of the border is certainly the way to go.

D

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #39 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 5:34pm

Greg,

If you decide to go with medical 02  and the e-tanks...I will send you a regulator and several non-rebreather masks.  Just let me know in a PM , o.k.?

As far as I know Imitrex is not available in a generic as of yet.  We've been waiting for years, but I don't think their patent expires until next year.

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #40 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 5:57pm

Wow... Linda, you're a superstar!

However I beg to differ on generic Imitrex, at least in pill form. I'm in possession of a box of Sandoz Sumatriptan, 100 mg that I got through the Canadian pharmacy I referenced above. No idea about the injectable since I've never used it.

That's a great thing you're doing for Greg.

David

IP Logged

Audre
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Three Rivers|USA||0|0|MI,Michigan
Reply #41 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 8:58am

Balanchine wrote on Jul 25th, 2008 at 5:57pm:
Wow... Linda, you're a superstar!

However I beg to differ on generic Imitrex, at least in pill form. I'm in possession of a box of Sandoz Sumatriptan, 100 mg that I got through the Canadian pharmacy I referenced above. No idea about the injectable since I've never used it.

That's a great thing you're doing for Greg.

David

That's because you got it from Canada.  In the US, when a company makes something they get a patent.  The patent says that no one else can make that for so long, basically allowing that company to make a ton of money.  Not sure how long it is for medicine, but I heard that imitrex generic is supposed to come out sometime this year or next. 

IP Logged

Greg
CH.com Newbie

Tallahassee Florida
Reply #42 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 5:18pm

You are all right.. The cheapest i been able to find it (without ordering hundreds) is in Canada at about 9 bucks a pop. And they are generic brand. I just took my first one today and it was a pleasure. I am reluctant to take them because i spent nearly 27$ a piece but at least now i know they'll work for me. I appreciate all the useful info guys and its always a pleasure talking to my fellow clusterheads. I wish you all PF days and look forward to talkin with you again.
                                    Greg

IP Logged

Greg
CH.com Newbie

Tallahassee Florida
Reply #43 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 5:28pm

Thanks for the offer Linda, you are very kind. If its not too much trouble i will accept. I added you to my buddies and will PM you when i see you online. I believe it will save me money in the long run if i could use the 02 as opposed to the imitrex.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 11:49am

The 02 is more compatible with busting as well. You cant take imitrex and bust. All the best
thebb Smiley

IP Logged

The Spaniard
CH.com Newbie

like hell, doesn´t it?

x0|Alicante|Spain||0|0|
Reply #45 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 2:12pm

jon019 wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 10:20pm:
Holy shit, I CAN deal with this nightmare and all it takes is a metal cylinder of O2 and the right mask!!!! LIFE CHANGING my friend.

Jon, I´m happy O2 works for you (a chronic CH).

Myself I am episodic, 6 week cycles a few times a year only nights.

Been coping quite well using coffee, and recently found a way to stop attacks without use of coffee, hence the post.

If nothing would work surely I would go for O2, my remark was in no way demeaning O2, just it is not the way for me, as I have found another way to abort attacks which (from what I understand) is even quicker than O2. Hence the "cannot be bothered".

Again, I´m genuinely happy O2 is working for you the way it does, and if I offended you or anyone else this was far from my intention.

My post was only intended to share my experience with relief through rerouting blood to the arms, nothing more, nothing less.

It is a pity to see it has been mis-interpreted all together.

It is also a pity to see that apparantly on this board threads can be hi-jacked and posters can be attacked for their opinion (and I do NOT mean you by that).

A real pity. This board needs a good moderator, or a new board needs to be created where opinions and theories can be discussed openly without the static. (again this does not pertain to you).

The method as described in my first post works FOR ME. No matter what anyone else says or does, it works for me, and I know that because I AM me.

And MY opinion is that methods for abortion or prevention of cluster headache attacks which do not involve any medication (I include medical O2 in that group) are and should be well preferred over any other method.

I´m sure we all just love Big Med like Pfizer, heck as far as I know they may even be on this board promoting their products. It sure does feel like it.

In any case I shared my experience, what the reader does with it is up to him or her ofcourse. Please PM me if you would like help in any way with the abortive technique.

I wish all the longest of PF times-

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #46 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 2:36pm

The Spaniard wrote on Jul 28th, 2008 at 2:12pm:
jon019 wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 10:20pm:

Jon, I´m happy O2 works for you (a chronic CH).

Myself I am episodic, 6 week cycles a few times a year only nights.

Been coping quite well using coffee, and recently found a way to stop attacks without use of coffee, hence the post.

If nothing would work surely I would go for O2, my remark was in no way demeaning O2, just it is not the way for me, as I have found another way to abort attacks which (from what I understand) is even quicker than O2. Hence the "cannot be bothered".

Again, I´m genuinely happy O2 is working for you the way it does, and if I offended you or anyone else this was far from my intention.

My post was only intended to share my experience with relief through rerouting blood to the arms, nothing more, nothing less.

It is a pity to see it has been mis-interpreted all together.

It is also a pity to see that apparantly on this board threads can be hi-jacked and posters can be attacked for their opinion (and I do NOT mean you by that).

A real pity. This board needs a good moderator, or a new board needs to be created where opinions and theories can be discussed openly without the static. (again this does not pertain to you).

The method as described in my first post works FOR ME. No matter what anyone else says or does, it works for me, and I know that because I AM me.

And MY opinion is that methods for abortion or prevention of cluster headache attacks which do not involve any medication (I include medical O2 in that group) are and should be well preferred over any other method.

I´m sure we all just love Big Med like Pfizer, heck as far as I know they may even be on this board promoting their products. It sure does feel like it.

In any case I shared my experience, what the reader does with it is up to him or her ofcourse. Please PM me if you would like help in any way with the abortive technique.

I wish all the longest of PF times-

Here ya go sport.  It's been a pleasure.

Potter
   Modified to add STFU
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2008 at 4:10pm by Potter »  

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #47 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 4:16pm

Quote:
A real pity. This board needs a good moderator, or a new board needs to be created where opinions and theories can be discussed openly without the static.

Let us know when you've finished re-arranging the furniture, eh?   Grin

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Oregon City|USA||0|0|OR,Oregon
Reply #48 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 4:59pm

Spaniard,
I believe the boys are letting you know, this is a Clusterhead forum. DJ, our fearless leader, chooses NOT to act as the usual moderator. As you know, Clusterheads can be tired, in pain, feeling low, and even  downright depressed. You, too, might find something you read here to be complete bunk, and you may say that.........the point is, in Clusterville, everyone says exactly what they mean.
Your post is a very interesting one....and there will be people who try it and are grateful that you have done this research, coz it just might be of help. They will acknowledge that, and thank you. Please don't be put off by those who are more blunt.......and allow everyone to say what they will.
There's an expression around here........"take what you need and leave the rest".......although I prefer harmony over discord, once I GOT this expression it made perfect sense to me. These same people who have offended you could very well be the ones who step up to give you help when you are in need.that's the Clusterhead family. Thank you, Spaniard, for your efforts in tuning this abortive. I'm certain others will be around to give it a try, and, hopefully, they will give you helpful feedback. 
Till then, I wish you MORE PF!
Cathi Smiley Smiley

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #49 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 6:49pm

Spainard,

I'm a 37 year episodic clusterhead.  6 or 8 years back I experimented like you and tried doing squats at the first signs of an attack.  After 30-40 squats (took me about 1 minute to do) I'd sit in my cluster chair and breath deeply.  The attack would abort in 5-7 minutes.  I've got a cluster friend who can jump on his exercise bike and abort attacks.  When I fist signed the guestbook ob this site, about 8 1/2 years ago, the guy before me said he ran up the hill behind his house and when he got to the top, no more cluster.

There are many examples of streneous exercise, at the beginning of an attack, aborting it.

The nice part is no meds, no O2, no shrooms, NADA!

Now I'm old, fat and lazy so I suck O2 with good results.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!