Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Some shadowy questions. (Read 6986 times)
maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Some shadowy questions.
Jul 22nd, 2008 at 12:52am

Since about a little more than 3 weeks ago I had my last real hit. Presumably due to the Verap. Else I´d be still in cycle, although at the end of it if I were to compare it to my normal cycles of 7 weeks rollercoaster and 9 weeks if you take in the pre shadows and post ones.

I do however still have the shadows all day long, not too painfull but very annoying as I am constantly aware of their presence.
Could this be that the Verapamil numbs my hits but that they are still present, I´d love to know. My neurologist said to just wait till they leave too.

The coffee I drink in the morning hours quiets them, but the rest of the day they bug me.

Could I take the oxygen to numb them, or should I save that for when another episode starts, which is hopefully not in another two years.
And to my understanding it is unwise to take Imitrex for just shadows, so I haven´t done that.

Any advice on how to get rid of ´em, other than coffee or energy drinks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2008 at 12:54am by maalstroom »  

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: Some shadowy questions.
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 1:41am

I've mentioned the use of the over-the-counter antihistamine, chlorpheneramine maleate along with a couple of aspirin to alleviate shadows.  Don't know if anyone's ever taken me up on it, but it's worked for me.  You might give it a try to see if it helps.  Benedryl might work as well.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 5:25am

Sorry the shadow-man is still chasing you. 

I drink two cups of coffee every day.  That helps to keep the caffiene level more consistent and chase the afternoon shadows off.  That's usually when they tend to intensify. 

If the shadows stay real persistent I chase them off with O2.  Don't be afraid to use it.  Just make sure you don't run out.

George that's an interesting combination.  I'll have to give it a go.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 6:54am

I am out of cycle right now but still am getting shadows, some of which become more than annoying so I get on the o2 and that takes care of them quickly.

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 7:23am

Often times, 400mg of ibuprofen will help me keep the shadows at bay. What we call "shadows" are probably the layman's equivalent to a real tension headache (in terms of pain level).

IP Logged

Sandra von der Laage
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 8:08am

maalstroom wrote on Jul 22nd, 2008 at 12:52am:
Since about a little more than 3 weeks ago I had my last real hit. Presumably due to the Verap. Else I´d be still in cycle, although at the end of it if I were to compare it to my normal cycles of 7 weeks rollercoaster and 9 weeks if you take in the pre shadows and post ones.

I do however still have the shadows all day long, not too painfull but very annoying as I am constantly aware of their presence.
Could this be that the Verapamil numbs my hits but that they are still present, I´d love to know. My neurologist said to just wait till they leave too.

The coffee I drink in the morning hours quiets them, but the rest of the day they bug me.

Could I take the oxygen to numb them, or should I save that for when another episode starts, which is hopefully not in another two years.
And to my understanding it is unwise to take Imitrex for just shadows, so I haven´t done that.

Any advice on how to get rid of ´em, other than coffee or energy drinks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx.

Arme Maalstroom!  Ich bin glucklich, ich habe nie Schatten gehapt-es ist bei mir schmerz oder gar keine schmerz.  Bis jetzt ich bin glucklich, weil ich habe mein attacken nur in die frueh (2-3 heuren).  Ich nehme mien medickatmente und dann ich bin gute, ausnahmsweise manchmal abends oder nacht.  Ich kann emphalen Dr. Med. Thorsten Bartsch (Uni Klinik Kiel, Neurologie)-er ist sehr gut und kann vielleicht hilfreich sein oder Prof. Dr. med Heinz-Dietrich Diener, Uni Klinik Essen, Chef von Neurologie-er ist weltweit berumpt und kann auch sehr helfreich sein.  Viele gluck, mein Freund.  Ach, in Geilinkirchen ist Dr. med Heinz-Dietrich Zieger, wer hatte mich behandelt fuer 4 jahren und ist sehr gut und sympatisch.  Alles gute, Sandra.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2008 at 9:20am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 9:31am

Perhaps others might benefit from what you replied, Sandra.

Oh, wait. They can't read it.

For those interested, Google Translate gives you:
Quote:
Maalstroom arms! I am happy I have never gehapt shadow-it is with me pain or no pain. Until now, I'm happy because I lost my attacks only in the early (2-3 heuren). I take medickatmente mien, and then I'm good, sometimes exceptionally evening or night. I can emphalen Thorsten Bartsch, MD (University Clinic of Kiel, neurology)-he is very good and can perhaps be helpful or Prof. Dr. med Heinz-Dietrich Diener, University Hospital Essen, head of Neurological he is the world and berumpt can also be very helfreich. Many luck, my friend. Oh, Geilinkirchen is Dr. med Heinz-Dietrich Zieger, who had treated me for 4 years and is very good and nice. Everything good, Sandra.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 9:50am

I had a lot of luck with Panadol washed down with a cup of serious coffee.  Not sure of it's name in other countries but I'm assured it's commonly available.  Its sister product, Panadiene forte, is a mixture of panadol and codiene and, for those who can take it, can be even more effective.

Mind you, I found out the hard way that if two don't work then neither will six or eight but for me it worked a treat for shadows and even minor hits.

The link is to the manufacturer - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 10:40am

AussieBrian wrote on Jul 22nd, 2008 at 9:50am:
I had a lot of luck with Panadol washed down with a cup of serious coffee.  Not sure of it's name in other countries but I'm assured it's commonly available.

Others may know it as acetominophen, or Tylenol.

IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Reply #9 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 10:49am

Oxygen will not kill shadows for me.

I find that Excedrin migraine (aspirin, acetaminophen, and caffeine) will shut them down for the day.

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

TRG
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 1:09pm

My husband is going thru same thing as you.  The neuro told him to try not to use tylenol/ibuprofen because could cause rebound headaches, so he usually just suffers.  He drinks couple cups of coffee in the morning but doesn't seem to help.  I told him to start using his 02, he's only used it for the bad ones.  He says seems to help, but he can't use the 02 during the day while he's at work.

IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #11 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 1:18pm

Energy drinks work for me pretty good in knocking down the shadows.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2008 at 1:18pm by gizmo »  

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #12 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 1:24pm

I find that there are several things to help shadows.  I've taken effervescent pain relievers, ginger, hot (spicy) foods, coffee w/caffeine, that's about all I can think of at the moment.

I've been shadowing myself the past couple days and am craving hot & spicy foods.  Must be a self help thing. Undecided
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2008 at 1:25pm by Melissa »  

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Sandra von der Laage
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 1:52pm

Melissa wrote on Jul 22nd, 2008 at 1:24pm:
I find that there are several things to help shadows.  I've taken effervescent pain relievers, ginger, hot (spicy) foods, coffee w/caffeine, that's about all I can think of at the moment.

I've been shadowing myself the past couple days and am craving hot & spicy foods.  Must be a self help thing. Undecided

Eating hot, spicy foods, like Szechuan Chinese, gives me a burning pain the next morning in a certain area Smiley and wll help me to disregard any other pain for awhile )
Shocked

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #14 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 1:59pm

Quote:
Melissa wrote on Jul 22nd, 2008 at 1:24pm:

Eating hot, spicy foods, like Szechuan Chinese, gives me a burning pain the next morning in a certain area Smiley and wll help me to disregard any other pain for awhile )
Shocked

Hot & spicy foods work great sometimes, but one thing to really watch out for is any Asian foods as they contain MSG which can also be a trigger (and then you'll be hurting on both ends! Wink).  Other than that, I tend to lean more towards the foods with lots of hot peppers in them. Smiley

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #15 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 7:13pm

I am having my strongest shadow to date right now.  I ate at a Japanese Steak House, so I wonder if I had some MSG trigger.

Anyway, I've been out of cycle so long, I am a bit scared that I am about to go back in.  My last cycle was well over a year long.

Anyway, does anyone else have shadows ramp up into a cycle?  this is a first for me, usually I just wake up and BAM, Im in cycle.

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #16 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 7:26pm

4 Way nasal spray helps my shadows.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

KJ
CH.com Alumnus

Indianapolis, IN
Reply #17 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 7:29pm

Msg is a known trigger for me. I found out years ago, and learned to cook and eat my own food, and avoid the hidden sources. My cycles got less and less frequent. Is it totally because I avoided msg? I doubt it.....but it didn't hurt.

Here is a link to "hidden MSG sources". Good luck avoiding them all! Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Quit smoking March 6th, 2008

IP Logged

mollybo
CH.com Newbie

x0|Tulsa|USA||0|0|OK,Oklahoma
Reply #18 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 9:50pm

Red Bull kills shadows for me for 2-3 hours before they start coming back.  Unforunately my hits intensify at night when I don't want the cafeine, so then I hit the O2.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Maxalt is my last resort.

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #19 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 10:23pm

mollybo wrote on Jul 22nd, 2008 at 9:50pm:
Red Bull kills shadows for me for 2-3 hours before they start coming back.  Unforunately my hits intensify at night when I don't want the cafeine, so then I hit the O2.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Maxalt is my last resort.

You use Maxalt MLT??? (the stuff that dissolves in your mouth).  I used to use it too for a while and I dont remember many others using it.  I also keep Zyprexa as a FINAL resort.  It works very well for me.

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #20 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 4:12am

Have you tried going completely caffeine / med free?

A lot of people with clusters have good results from completely detoxing from all kinds of meds / caffeine / etc.

In the book "Heal Your Headache - The 1 2 3 Program", Workman Publishing, 2002, David Buchhold, M.D. advocates detoxing as well. The book is more about migraine than clusters, but I think it has a lot of good stuff. Some excerpts:

"When you have a headache, you just want to get rid of it. If you're like most people, you rely on painkillers. If you use painkillers only infrequently, and they work, that's fine. But by taking certain quick fixes too frequently, you make your headache problem worse and more difficult to control."

"Treating headaches with painkillers is appropriate only if the need arises infrequently, and only if the treatment is safe and effective. This means taking a safe and effective medication at most two days per month for severe headaches and at most two days per week for mild-to-moderate headaches."

"For infrequent severe headaches, triptans are the best acute treatment, but these drugs must be used no more than two days per month or they'll lead to rebound."

"Insidous and cumulative, rebound is the single biggest problem with quick fixes and greatest potential impediment to headache control. Here's how it works. You take a quick fix to relieve a headache. The quick fix helps temporarily. As the quick fix wears off, your headache tendency increases. You bask in the glow of short-term headache relief, but rebound is a dark cloud on the horizon. Thanks to rebound, your headaches keep going - and growing."

"How do quick fixes cause rebound? Most work by constricting the blood vessels around your head that become swollen due to migraine. You can imagine what happens when the formerly swollen blood vessels escape from the temporary, artificial constriction brought on by the drug. They swell with a vengeance in a process known as rebound vasodilation."

"Caffeine - one of the most potent dietary triggers - has a paradoxical effect that makes it appear helpful for headaches in the short run even though it increases headaches in the long run. This is true of caffeine-containing beverages including coffee, tea and certain sodas such as colas, Mountain Dew and Dr Pepper. The reason is that caffeine constricts blood vessels. If blood vessels around your head are painfully swollen because of migraine, and therefore you have a headache, caffeine may provide temporary relief by constricting the vessels. This is why many headache sufferers, recognizing that a strong cup of coffee or a Coke may ward off an impending headache, gravitate toward dietary caffeine....The problem is that as caffeine and its constricting influence wear off, rebound vasodilation - increased blood vessel swelling - occurs. The occurrence of rebound vasodilation when the constricting influence of caffeine wears off is the reason caffeine contributes to headaches long-term. But because you may initially feel relief, you fail to realize that caffeine ultimately worsens your headaches and therefore must be eliminated."

Wishing you pain-free time,
Rosa
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2008 at 4:15am by Ungweliante »  

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #21 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 4:15am

MSG explains why potato chips and some other foods have triggered hits.

Back in UK, I used Anadin Extra to kill shadows; it contains aspirin, paracetamol and caffeine. Now I just use energy drinks.

Mel, you mentioned ginger. Do you eat fresh ginger or do you use supplement?

Sanna

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #22 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 8:15am

sandie99 wrote on Jul 23rd, 2008 at 4:15am:
Mel, you mentioned ginger. Do you eat fresh ginger or do you use supplement?

Sanna

Sanna, I PM'd you, but will answer you here too.

I use supplements and also have drank ginger tea.  I think any way you consume ginger will help. 

Of course, everyone is different, it won't work for everybody, but it's worth a try!

Smiley

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #23 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 10:32am

Hi everybody, and thanx for the many replies!

I guess I forgot to mention in my original post that I am not much of a pill guy, so I try to take as less as possible. Coincidentally I took some paracetamol with coffeine today, but only because the shadows were a bit more there.
I love coffee, but only in the morning before noon, if I continue to drink it during the rest of the day my stomach gets upset. As for the energy drinks, I used a Red Bull rip off many times during my cycle, but now I'm out of it, I can't stand the übersweet taste of 'em haha.

I'm a little hesitant about using the oxygen for my shadows. Any advice on that?

Thanx, Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #24 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 11:14am

Thank you, Mel. Smiley

Ginger helps me with shadows. I'm yet to find the perfect way to drink the ginger tea, though. I've made it myself and I've tried one tea bag kind.

Sanna

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!