Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Episodes since I was 12. (Read 2569 times)
ReeseC
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

San Francisco
Episodes since I was 12.
Jul 28th, 2008 at 4:34pm

Hi, this is my first post.

I remember getting my first behind-the-right-eye headache when I was 12.  It was the second time I remember ever getting a headache, the first time being when I had the flu, and the very back of my head felt like I had bruised it. 

For years afterwards, I thought that two types of headaches existed.  I thought people got the back-of-the-head pain when they had the flu, and the behind-the-eye pain when they had a headache.  So when other people would say they had a headache, I didn't understand that they were not feeling what I felt.

Because of this lack of perspective about CH v. other headaches, whenever I would get a tension headache, I just always thought I was tired.  I had no idea that a tension headache was a headache.  Those don't really hurt!  They're just uncomfortable.  It was a miracle to me when I realized that Tylenol can make me feel "awake" again if I had a tension headache.  I wish the same were true for my CHs!

I remember that at age 12, the pain came back daily, and lasted between 30-60 minutes, and the cycle lasted a few weeks.  I had "headaches" again, behind the eye, when I was 16, 19 and 22. 

I NEVER thought to see a doctor for them until I was 22.  After all, no one else sees doctors for their headaches unless they had "migraines."  I didn't have auras or light sensitivity, so I knew I wasn't a migraine sufferer. 

When I was 22, in 2000, with the internet at my fingertips for the first time, I looked up my syptoms.  I searched for "behind" "eye" "extreme" "headache."  And one of the first results was a site for "cluster headaches."  It was the first time I had ever heard of the name. 

After realizing the seriousness of my condition, and that it actually HAD A NAME, I went to the doctor for the first time ever.  She said that I DIDN'T have cluster headaches, even though I was naming off all the textbook symptoms, because I was a girl, and according to her textbook, only men get CHs.  She prescribed for me these giant horse-pills of 800mg ibuprofen.  I also tried Excedrin on my own.  I'm not sure whether they actually worked for me because I can't tell if the CH aborted on its own or if it was because of the ibu and Excedrin.  Whether I take the pills, they would last between 60-90 minutes.  In retrospect, knowing what I know now, I suspect that the pills had little or no effect on me.

Even though previously I had cycles ever 3 years, I was in remission for 8 years, until 24 days ago, when the beast reared its ugly head again.  I'm 30 now.  This time I saw a doctor right away.  Again, the diagnosis did not come immediately.  She told me to just take Excedrin while she consulted with neurology.

After suffering daily for TWELVE DAYS, she finally called me back and told me to come in.  She had a diagnosis.  She said, "I believe you have either migraines or Cluster Headaches."  No sh**! I thought to myself.  Did I say that 12 days ago?

She put me on Maxalt 10mg, and verapamil.  She told me that I needed to take verapamil for 8 weeks, and that it was going to make me dizzy and constipated, but that my CHs should start going away after 4 weeks. 

After 4 weeks?!  Dizzy and constipated?  I was already on Day 17 of my cycle when she gave me the prescriptions, so I was reluctant to start the verapamil.  I still have not started on verapamil, hoping that my cycle will naturally end soon, by Day 26 or 28.  I've had 6 hits since, and the Maxalt has worked somewhat for some of them.  I'm lucky in that the most attacks I've had in a day is 2 attacks, and I've had a couple of pain-free days since the beginning of the cycle.

The pain is scaring my husband, and is making me really really really behind on work.  I'm constantly worried that I will lose my job.  I'm an attorney at a law firm, and I'm not sure how sympathetic they are to my needs.  They are not assigning me new projects, and have reassigned a couple to other attorneys.  I still have a lot of stuff to work on that have mid-August deadlines, so I'm working half-time, plugging away at them whenever I can.  After I first sent out my email to my bosses telling them about my diagnosis, no one has sat me down to talk about it.  I told them that in the past, a cycle typically lasts 2 to 3 weeks.  I suppose they are just waiting to see whether I will be able to bounce back, or whether I will become useless to them.

I am just so glad that I have a name for my pain.  Most of my friends and colleagues are internet savvy, so if they find information on Wikipedia or on this site about cluster headaches, I'm hoping that they will understand.

I will keep reading and keep posting.

Maybe if this cycle doesn't go away soon, I will have to start the Verapamil.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Re: Episodes since I was 12.
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 6:02pm

Oxygen is your friend.

Potter

IP Logged

CH Ron
CH.com Newbie

PF wishes to all!

San Diego, CA
Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 3:16am

Reece,

I hear you and I wish you didn’t have to find us although I’m glad you did.  You’ll find that we’re all different and what works for one person might not work for you. 

From my experience I’d say get on the Verapamil ASAP.  It takes a while for that stuff to kick in, but when it does (at least for me) it extends the ramp up time and decreases the intensity and duration of a hit.  For me it’s pretty mild and I don’t see any real heavy side-effects.  I take 480mg/day.

Maxalt…. Eh, tried it, but I found that a pill isn’t so effective and I use Zomig (or imitrex) nasal spray as an abortive.  Works in around 5-10 minutes and saved my life. 

I can’t speak about O2 yet although I plan to give it a try.  Most people here say it’s the Silver Bullet and for some reason I think they know what they’re talking about.  Even though I’d say I have some control over my hits by using the Verapamil and Zomig, I’m here looking for a better way.

Now that you know what you’ve got, good luck finding your silver bullet.

PF wishes to you!

Ron

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 11:09am

What Potter said, oxygen!!!

You sound episodic, like me, meaning you have cycles of headaches followed by pain free time. Most of us find a 2 pronged approach to these work best. sadly there is no one pill that will "cure" them, but with a little bit of work, you can manage them and take control.

1: a good preventative medication. That's a medication you take while on cycle to reduce the intensity and the frequency of your attacks. I use lithium, your doctor has prescribed verapamil, a very common preventative, Topomax is another popular one. ALL of these take a week or two to build up in your system before you start seeing the results. Many of us go on prednisone during these 2 weeks while we wait for the preventative med to kick in. Prednisone will block 100% of the attacks for me, but it is a harsh med with many ugly side effects if used for long term, should only be used as a transition med.

2: A good abortive strategy. The headache has started, now what. YOUR FIRST LINE ABORTIVE SHOULD BE OXYGEN.  You will hear this a lot. I can abort an attack in as little as 6 minutes, that's completely pain free, breathing oxygen. Read the link on the left, the key points are pure oxygen, at a high flow rate generally around 15 LPM, through a non re breather mask, started at the first sign of an attack. 30 years of dancing witht he beast and 02 is still my first line and most effective abortive.

Energy drinks, any containing the combo of caffeine and taurine, Rock Star, Monster etc., slammed at the first sign of an attack can abort or at least reduce the intensity of the hit for many.

I wouldn't be so hesitatnt to start the verapamil, a VERY commonly prescribed med which has helped many on the board. Glad you found us hope we can help you out!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 12:40pm

Hi and welcome home.  You've found the best source for information and support for our shared condition.

I've had a lot of success with verapamil and I'll 2nd the advice above and say get on it now.  The side effects haven't been that bad for me.  400mg is my magic number.

I use Oxygen right in the office.  People I work with don't even bat an eye when I'm futzing with my tank and regulator.  They know that ole Darth Vader will be back at the keyboard shortly.  Typically I'm only dealing with a hit for 20 minutes total.  Pain is gone 10-15 minutes after the O2 starts flowing. 

It's important that you have a high flow regulator of at least 15lpm and use a non-rebreather mask.

The other option I have for aborting attacks are Imitrex injections.  They never fail to abort a hit and work in 10 minutes or less.  Of course there are side effects to the Imitrex that make Oxygen my 1st choice.

Once you get the beast in a bottle with a preventive like verapamil you'll get your nights sleep back.  Then before you know it you'll be kicking ass at the office again.   Everyone wins.

I hope you find some PF time soon.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

ReeseC
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

San Francisco
Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 3:06pm

Thanks for the input!  It's so nice to have real, practical advice coming back at me, instead of a shrug and a look of deepest sympathy, which is about all that has been coming my way.

I will look into the O2, and start on the verapamil.  I have no idea what mg the pills are.  I know she prescribed an Extended Release tablet for me.

Incidentally, I was pain-free for a whole calendar day yesterday, midnight to midnight.  Counting hours, it's been 43 hours since my last attack, which is longer than I've had since the cycle started.  Maybe it's over? 

How do you know when to stop the verapamil?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 3:19pm

No magic answer about when to stop the prevents. When I go 4 weeks pain free, I start down off the lithium I go from 1200 mg a day and over a period of a week drop down to 600 mg. If I don't get hit for a week i finish weaning off the lithium. If I get bit I ramp back up to 120 again. All under the advice and care of a doctor. Lithium, verapamil, prednisone, all should be monitored while going on and off of them, none should just be stopped cold turkey due to potential reactions from your body.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

CH Ron
CH.com Newbie

PF wishes to all!

San Diego, CA
Reply #7 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 1:21am

I agree with Guiseppi about when/how to stop the preventative meds. 

Ron

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 7:05pm

Hi Reese,

So has any headache come back since your post from the 29th?
Hope not!  Wink

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

ReeseC
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

San Francisco
Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 8:30pm

Unfortunately yes, the following morning at 8am. I took Maxalt on an empty stomach, and the pain went away after 20 minutes without escalating past kip-7.  But none since the 30th!  I am hoping that the periods of PF days means that my cycle is ending soon.  It has been a long 4 weeks.

Thanks for following up on me!  It's so nice to be checked up on by a total stranger.  Smiley

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #10 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 9:25am

Stick around Reese, and you'll find that most people here will not be strangers anymore in a short time.  Wink

After all, we're all family here whom you just haven't met lol!

PF vibes from the Netherlands.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!