Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stormy Weather-a trigger? (Read 5660 times)
geosailor
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Stormy Weather-a trigger?
Jul 30th, 2008 at 10:23am

I don't see much on this board about storms as a potential cause of CHs.
I for one have experienced several CHs when there are storm clouds lingering in the area for days on end.

Has anyone else experienced this?

IP Logged

melonhead
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: Stormy Weather-a trigger?
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 11:20am

I believe they are a trigger.  I've exepierenced them especially when it goes from calm to windy conditions and have always thought the  change in pressure or humidity may have something to do with it.

IP Logged

Ernie Moss aka Wishbone
CH.com Junior

Birmingham, AL
Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 11:49am

geo, I have been a CH for 12 years and for me high humidity for a sustained period will in my opinion cause me to go into cycle.  I also think this may be true with sudden changes in the barometric pressure.  When in cycle stale, stagnant air will trigger a hit.  The most significant evidence was I had been headache free for 6 mos and my son got married on Peter Island which probably was 98% relative humidity.  While sitting in the plane on the tarmac in Puerto Rica waiting to take off I got hit, unfortunately an 8, no meds no O2.  They almost made me get off the plane.  My only explantion was the humidity.  Don't know if this idea is just in my head (no pun intended) or factual but this is what I have observed over the years.

It don't cost a nickel to be nice and by being so you might just make someone's day.&&Ernie Moss

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 12:11pm

That's one of those wobblers, for many it's a big time trigger, it's never been for me.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 4:25pm

It's easy to understand why this is a recurring question but the medical research has consistently failed to turn up any factors. Migraine research has identified some evidence of triggers.

Don't jump re. alcohol! It's a clear trigger WHEN WE ARE IN AN ACTIVE CYCLE but that's a different animal from CAUSING a cycle to start.
=======================
Let me modify:

Headache. 2004 Jun;44(6):607-10. 

Obstructive sleep apnea and cluster headache.

Graff-Radford SB, Newman A.

The Pain Center, Cedars Sinai Medical Center and UCLA School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA.

A patient with cluster headache often wakes from sleep. The relationship to sleep apnea has been described. This study sought to confirm the relationship cluster may have with sleep apnea. METHODS: Thirty-nine consecutive patients diagnosed with episodic cluster headache according to the International Headache Society (IHS) criteria were sent for polysomnographic studies. All patients were in an active phase when they were in the study. Patients were told of the proposed relationship and were allowed to choose a sleep laboratory close to their home. RESULTS: Thirty-one patients with episodic cluster headache completed an overnight polysomnographic study. Twenty-three were male and eight female. The average age was 51 years (range 33 to 78 years). The average weight was 173 pounds (range 117 to 260 pounds). A total of 80.64% had sleep apnea (25/31). Average respiratory depression index (RDI) was 19.0 (SD 14.6) with 6 patients having no apnea, 10 having mild, 11 having moderate, and 4 having severe apnea (RDI < 5 = none; RDI 5 to 20 mild; RDI 20 to 40 moderate; RDI > 40 severe). Oxygen saturation decreased on average to 88.4% SD 4.5. Sleep efficiency was 76.2% (SD 13.4). CONCLUSIONS: The data closely approximate those of Chervin et al, where 80% had RDI > 5.

THE RELATIONSHIP SLEEP APNEA HAS IN THE PERPETUATION OR PRECIPITATION OF CLUSTER HEADACHE IS STILL TO BE DETERMINED. THERE ARE SOME REPORTS THAT TREATMENT STOPS THE CLUSTER BUT THERE IS NO PROSPECTIVE STUDY. THE HIGH INCIDENCE (80.64%) SEEN IN THIS POPULATION SUGGESTS THE CLUSTER PATIENT SHOULD RECEIVE A SLEEP EVALUATION AND PERHAPS INTERVENTION WITH CONTINUOUS POSITIVE AIRWAY PRESSURE (CPAP) OR AN APPROPRIATE DENTAL DEVICE.

PMID: 15186306 
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2008 at 9:28am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 4:28pm

More pain for me while humidity is high and storms are coming while in cycle.  I have been out of cycle for a couple of months now, but just after my cycle was over, I would still get shadows when it was very humid or a huge thunderstorm was looming.  While in cycle, big storms caused more pain.

Kelly

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 4:39pm

If there is a storm brewing or a snow storm a comming I am in a kip 10 guarenteed.  The change in barometric pressure has something to do with it.  I have also recorded high humidity to be a trigger.  I charted my hits and frequency and intensity for a couple of years in relation to weather and definetly found a link for me.  I would be able to tell the weather just by my head and how misserable I felt.  Then I would listen to a weather forcast and be correct as far as when it was going to rain or snow.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #7 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 8:02pm

Barometric pressure is a SURE trigger for me. After careful study thru-out several years (of which most of the time I had nothing else to do but hold my damn head) I've concluded that I am a MUCH better weather man than the guy on TV!

Tomorrow's prediction -- Clear to partly cloudy - barometric pressure is falling... Plan your day..... Cheesy

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #8 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 9:35pm

Yup...rapid changes in the barometer, for me...bam, bam bam...

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Cathy Jo
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Aug 2nd, 2008 at 8:25pm

I have found that the humidity and change in barometric pressure will trigger a CH in me.  A few weeks ago, I was double whammied by both migraine headaches that turned into CH.  But, as soon as the front went through........I felt great!  And that was good as I had used all the Imitrex I could and couldn't use O2 as it made me very sick to my stomach.  That was a bad weekend. 
Cathy Jo

IP Logged

tuck
CH.com Veteran

Damn this cross is heavy
!

Gillespie , Illinois
Reply #10 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 8:55am

I have found that prolonged cloudy or rainy days give me a rest. the pressure plays NO role whatsoever. I have been accused of being part vampire, but sunny days and me just dont get along. give me an overcast chilly day anytime!!!!!!!!!!!!   Tuck

cancer shmancer,, i get cluster headaches!

IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Reply #11 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 10:29am

Even though I'm virtualy pain free due to Clusterbusters and the RC seed schedule I'm on,... front systems still prove to be an issue.  I don't get full on attacks but the shadows and pressure still build until the front passes.

Sometimes the front takes days to pass and my anxiety level will rise along with the pressure in my head, but luck has held that no full on hit has broken through.

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

Betty
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 8:04pm

Stormy weather - oh yes - as someone else said it is the change in the barometric pressure - or in Wisconsin we just call it a low front coming through which can last for days on end with high humidity.  Certainly gives me a headache!  Also - the going in and out of air-conditioning triggers CH for me as well.

IP Logged

Cathy Jo
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 9:24pm

Hi Betty:
Wisconsin, eh??  I'm originally from there but now in Syracuse.  My CH didn't start in WI, however.  They started in Hawaii of all places back in 1988.  As for the fronts, yes, that seems to be a huge trigger this bout, along with the heat and humidity.  I never thought about the A/C and if going in and out would trigger one, but I will have to watch that.  So are you a Packer fan?? 
Cathy Jo

IP Logged

BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
Reply #14 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 5:52pm

When in cycle i get hit more when its raining or cloudy and they are harder to abort just like today Sad also if i am out in heavy wind i will get shadows then when i enter a warm house i get hit.

bring on the sun is what i say Smiley

PF Wishes to all.&&We all live with this crap But it is not who we are dont let it control you!!!.

IP Logged

gregory s
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #15 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 12:46am

For me, sometimes it depends on where the Low pressure is. In the early Fall here in Texas, the Low pressure will be up in the Eastern corner part of Texas on the Oklahoma and Arkansas lines bringing the NE winds and that will trigger. And it's usually after the last storm that changes the season into Autumn and dries the air out. It usually stays up there for a month. And I'm BEGGING for rain. When I lived in Los Angeles, it was the June Gloom that would trigger. It was the mixture of the lukewarm air with the heavy clouds that made me nausea. But when I moved closer to the beach, it was the onshore flow where I felt the most comfortable.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!