Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do you know if out of cycle? (Read 1984 times)
TRG
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

How do you know if out of cycle?
Jul 30th, 2008 at 3:13pm

Just wondering, my husband started getting ch's end of May. Been on topamax/verapamil since. After two weeks of starting meds. ch's quit, just shadows. Neuro tried lowering verapamil, two weeks later had a headache so she put him back on original dose. Its been 3 weeks now w/no headache. Thinking about calling to see if she wants him to try to lower verapamil again.  If she lowers it and he doesn't get a ch, does that mean he's out of the cycle?  Don't really understand when you know your out - do you have to get off the meds to see if you have a ch?  First time at this, need help!

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Re: How do you know if out of cycle?
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 3:32pm

Hi there!

I had the same trouble while trying to lower the Verap.  I ended up staying on at full dosage for a full month WITHOUT shadows.  Only then could I wean off of it.  Of course, calling the Doc is never a bad idea.

Good Luck!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 4:26pm

Pretty much the same as Jeannie said for me.  I stay on for several weeks after my last hit and taper off slowly - about a 3-4 week taper.

Good luck-  glad he's pf

Kelly

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 9:37pm

Beer test...

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

TRG
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 8:19am

Beer does not seem to trigger the headaches.  My husband has cut down quite a bit on his drinking, but seems to have never triggered the ch's. 

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 3:26am

It's been a while since my verap taper, but I recall that it was done very slowly indeed and lasted (if my memory doesn't fail me) about a month.

I consider my cycle to be over after I've been complitely PF (I count shadows, too!) for a month.

PF wishes,
Sanna

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

chewbaccamonkeylunch
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Weatherford, TX
Reply #6 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 4:30pm

I know I'm out when headache free AFTER the pred taper for 10 days. I do the taper starting with 100 mg per day until no headaches for three days then 80, 60, 40, 20 etc.. That gives the verapamil time to kick in. Days 8-10 are pretty stressful!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!