Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Intro, looking for info on kids with CH (Read 2683 times)
Beachbummomma
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Intro, looking for info on kids with CH
Jul 31st, 2008 at 2:42pm

Hi there.

I have come looking for information and guidance for my 8 year old son, TJ.  I understand CH don't normally happen in children from my reading. But I really think the symptoms fit him.

Short history...

Summer of 2007 right after his 7th birthday, I was out running errands with all three kids. Out of the blue TJ began shrieking hysterically that it felt like there was a 'big hot shot (his word for needle then) going into his eye' he was grabbing his head, screaming and rocking back in forth in extreme pain. It was shocking to see my child go from normal to pain like that.

He had eye problems since he was two. And had strabismus surgery on both eyes when he was three. Since he was screaming about his eye I just assumed it was some horrible eye problem. The intense pain was gone in about 30-40 minutes I would say. (We went home and gave him a cold wet washcloth to hold over his eye why he moaned.)

Called the opth in a panic. We were seen asap. Doc spent a long time looking and declared nothing wrong with the eye. After talking to me and finding out my husband suffered from 'migraines' (4-5 a year) the doc thought this was the start of migraines. He urged me to see a pediatric neurologist.

Okay, bad mommy moment here. I was resistant to seeing the neuro due to a bad experience with one when my dd was young. The doc had wanted to start heavy duty anti seizure medications on a child who had only had 4 seizures... and 2 were febrile. I was gun-shy with our bad experience I think.

Anyways, TJ proceeded to get these sharp intense pains over the course of about 8 weeks. I'd say maybe one every 8 days or so. Always about the same time of day (1-ish) always the same eye. Always intense pain where he was just miserable and rocking or pacing. Sometimes was gone in as little as 20 minutes, never longer than 40 ever. Pedi said 'some kids get headaches' and 'give him Motrin.'  Then they just went away.

*I should note that during this time  of headaches he was having something like nightmares/night terrors. He wasn't awake all the way for sure. But he'd wake up crying out in obvious pain... but then would fall back asleep. My other kids did suffer night terrors so I thought this was a variant of it?

Well, it's Summer again. And he's had about 4 of these headaches again now. He's a bit older and describes them now as : BIG burning hot needle either pushing in on the eye OR pushing out of the eye. Sometimes hurts other parts of his head. Again: gone quickly. Never more than 30 minutes this Summer.

They don't happen often. They are gone quickly.

I don't know what to do for the kid!! He is such a good sport about them. Yesterday we were out running errands and he calmly announced 'I'm getting one of those headaches, Mom!' And then he leaned over and starting rocking in his seat pushing against his eye as hard as he could.

These episodes suddenly brought to mind TJ as a toddler as well. He would get raging ear infections that would take weeks to clear up with multiple drugs. He was literally hit his head on the floor and say 'Stop! Stop, make it stop!' I always assumed it was the EI that was hurting his head. Now I wonder.

Anyways, do you think these headaches fit CH? When I read the description of CH for the first time recently I yelled 'OMG that is IT!!' Obviously it's not as severe was many of you suffer.  But I do hate seeing my kid go through this.

So, do I need to get him to a pedi neuro you think? And FWIW I am quite sure dh gets these as well. During his 'migraines' he is often pacing and moaning with pain. Laying down does not help him at all usually. Last time he got a bad one I was seriously thinking he needed the ER he was in so much pain.  Our GP gave him Imatrex and it  eventually helps... I guess.

Okay, well, that is my long winded history. Thanks so much for any help and guidance. I would REALLY appreciate it.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Re: Intro, looking for info on kids with CH
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 4:20pm

Hi there and welcome,

I am so sorry for your little guys pain Cry   I would get him to a Ped, Neuro  ASAP.  It sure sounds like CH to me but I would certainly want to have a neuro confirm it to rule out other possibilities.  No child should have to suffer and there are options out there to help him.

Others will be along to offer their input as well.  There is a sufferer on the board who has a child with CH as well.  I'm sure she will have some great advice.

Give your little sweetie a hug and let us know how things go for him.

Take care,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Beachbummomma
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 7:42pm

Thanks so much!  I have a call into the pedi for who they would prefer us to see. We'll just take it from there.  The more I read the more it fits. The ONLY thing that doesn't fit is that he will not get them daily... it could be a week before another shows. Sometimes it is the next day though. (I found my journal I kept last Summer finally) At the most he had three days in a row. Then it was back to weekly.

But EVERTHING else fits. Even the sleep disturbances I am betting.

Thanks again... I look forward to learning lots to help out my guy.

IP Logged

Beachbummomma
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 3:59pm

We now have an appt...in THREE months. Hoping to get worked in before then.

By the way... do I smell or something?!  Wink

I guess since I'm here for my kid people are less likely to respond?

Oh well, I can find some good stuff lurking I bet.

Thanks again for the welcome. I do so appreciate it.

IP Logged

ReeseC
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

San Francisco
Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 6:11pm

I think you should definitely keep your neuro appointment just to rule out something more serious (like a brain tumor), but otherwise, an informed pedi internist should be able to prescribe something to help.

As you have probably already read, Oxygen is a viable treatment that aborts headaches in some sufferers in just 7 or 8 minutes.  You shouldn't wait 3 months for an O2 scrip if you can convince a pedi to get some now!

I had my first clusters when I was 11 or 12, and didn't get diagnosed until I was 22.  I wish you son the best of luck.  And your husband, too!

IP Logged

lionsound
CH.com Alumnus

breathe

x1||USA|usa|522|64|ME,Maine
Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 6:31pm

Hello,
I am so sorry your son is suffering.

it is very important that you keep track of TJ's pain on a chart or in a journal. At least include date, time, duration, what he says about it.
this way when you get to the ped neuro you will already have the documentation in hand. Bring what you wrote here as well.

you can call the neuro's office, and check for cancellations to get an earlier appointment. Sometimes they keep a cancellation wait list.

also if you contact Helen(LeLimey) on this board she is loads of help because she has a child that has CH.

please keep us posted.
may you be all be well and Pain free!
-lionsound

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 6:51pm

Hi there Beach.

I have absolutely nothing usefull to say, as all the others before me have already. Just wanted to say how horrible this must be for a kid of that age! In my thoughts I'm with him..... let me tell you, I wouldn't wish these headaches on my worst enemy let alone an innocent child.

Wow, the Beast really is an indiscriminate SOB  Angry.

Here's wishing the boy will be helped soon from the Netherlands.

Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #7 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 6:17pm

I am SO sorry to hear about your son's pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It does sound like CH - and not to scare you, but there is also the possibility of a tumor or something else.  I'm glad you made the appointment with the neuro - but that is a long time to wait!  Perhaps you can make an appointment with a different one?  Or print out the info on CH and oxygen (02) and take it to your GP?  With a little input he may be willing to prescribe the 02 for your son.  What you're looking for is a scrip for 15 lpm (litres per minute - a high flow rate) for cluster headaches. A local medical supply company will work out with you the appropriate size for an 02 tank (sounds like an E tank might be right - it's large enough for likely several hits and is easily transportable in the car).

I think the reason the average time to proper diagnosis is six years is because for many people they don't initially present in the classic "same time every day" defined episodic cycle.  I know that for Gary they were disorganized enough that at first we thought it was his teeth, then we thought it was a sinus problem - and it took 7 years until they were regular-every-day enough to get a proper diagnosis.

I really hope you're able to find something soon that will help your son and hope the neuro helps!

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

Beachbummomma
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 6:31pm

Hey! Thanks for the replies. Bad news/good news in a way... TJ wrecked his bike on Sunday. Even with his helmet on properly he ended up with a concussion.

Since he was throwing up repeatedly and so dizzy he could not walk we went straight to the ER and they got him in promptly for a CT scan. No bleeds or fractures. Totally 100% normal. So, that was good. He obviously had a concussion and we are fairly certain he lost consciousness for at least a moment or to (hard to say we were not out there with him I was putting up groceries when he wiped out) but he said he sorta 'woke up' and was on the ground.

He's still REALLY dizzy and carries around a little barf bucket with him all day. They said no PE, no bike, no skate, no NOTHING for at least 6 weeks. Wed his symptoms got worse instead of better and we went to see the pedi. She noted some subtle short term memory loss I had not noticed.  Sad BUT she told it was totally normal and would resolve.

So the bad news is my kid has a closed head injury... good news is the CT was clear and we'll probably get in to the neuro faster now.  Now I'm just hoping every second he won't get that awful painful headache on top of his sore head and dizziness.

Fingers crossed.

And thank goodness for helmets. If he didn't have that on... I shudder to think the damage that would have happened.

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #9 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 9:15pm

So sorry to hear about the accident!  Must have freaked all of you out quite a bit.

SO GLAD it's "just" a concussion.  My heart really goes out to your son.  But great news that he got the "all clear"!  And yes - thank goodness for helmets!

BTW - having witnessed numerous concussions, the slight short term memory loss is normal and will resolve.

(((((((((((hugs))))))))))

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #10 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 6:12pm

Hello, im sorry to hear of your sons pain, im 40 and its tough for me to deal with it sometimes, so tell TJ he has a new friend and his name is coach bill.

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!