Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hi everyone...first time here (Read 2444 times)
primetime
CH.com Junior

Still standing....barely

Baltimore, MD
Hi everyone...first time here
Jul 31st, 2008 at 5:20pm

I am so happy I found this site!!

I was diagnosed for the first time about 5 years ago with CH. I will never forget the first one I had.....I was in Atlantic City, sitting a slot machine when it started. I thought for sure my eye was going to pop out of socket.

Needless to say, I've had many ups and downs along the way, cycles and remission. It's hard to explain to my wife what is going on, I know she feels for me, but I don't think she can begin to understand how bad it can be to battle with clusters.

What brings me here today is, I am in the midst of a bad cycle, the first one I've had in about 3-4 months. I generally take Relpax at the onset of a headache and it has been fairly effective. However, the last few days has been REALLY bad. I am out of Relpax and I cannot get a refill until Monday and I do not know what to do.

Any advice would be appreciated....and thank you very much for letting me vent.

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Re: Hi everyone...first time here
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 6:54pm

without any prescriptions for things like oxygen which is the number 1  weapon for most the next over the counter stuff I use is energy drinks, honestly they work for alot of people. i am sure alot of other smarter people will weigh in but those are my first two things i grab.

Karl
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2008 at 6:58pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 11:32pm

Ouch, caught with no meds, that hurts. Energy drinks, those containing taurine and caffeine, chugged hard and fast at the first sign of an attack, strong coffee in a pinch, ice packs or my favorite frozen peas on the effected side of the head, Ice cold air through the nostril on the affected side, my favorite is right in front of the air conditioning vents on the car, melatonin, an over the counter supplement available at health food and whole food stores, taken before bedtime can help avoid the night time hits, that and just keep reminding yourself they do end.

All that being said, we need to completely revamp your approach to these things. You should be on a good preventative medication when your cycle starts up, lithium, verapamil, topomax, many for you to read about and discuss with your doctor.  And you  MUST GET OXYGEN!!! Should be your first line abortive. Breathing pure oxygen, at a high flow rate, through a non re breather mask, has proved miraculous for many on the board. It's too cheap to not give it a try!

Glad you found us, sorry you got caught naked, I HATE it when that happens, been there done that. Cry

Guiseppi

edited, what part of the world are you in, may be someone near by who can help you out..........
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2008 at 11:33pm by Guiseppi »  

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

primetime
CH.com Junior

Still standing....barely

Baltimore, MD
Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 7:46am

I have read about the wonderful abortive benefits of pure oxygen. Unfortunately, my insurance carrier denied a claim of oxygen for an otherwise healthy 30 year old. I have talked to my doctor about it, she is trying to think of a way around it for me.

I am in Baltimore, Maryland....lived here my whole life. 

I sincerely appreciate the tips so far, I didn't know that caffeine was so helpful. I will run with that for the next few days, hoping to maybe break this cycle.

Thank you again and here's hoping today is headache free. Grin

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 7:57am

Prime,

O2 is not that expensive - if you have to go around your insurance -- do it... It's worth the cost. In the long run, it's probably cheaper than the copays on the Rx's.

there's a letter Dr.'s can write (or fax) to the insurance carrier saying, This O2 is prescribed for CLUSTER HEADACHES. But it has to be written with CH in the script. If your O2 level is high they will deny it unless it's specifically for CH.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 8:19am

primetime wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 7:46am:
I have read about the wonderful abortive benefits of pure oxygen. Unfortunately, my insurance carrier denied a claim of oxygen for an otherwise healthy 30 year old. I have talked to my doctor about it, she is trying to think of a way around it for me.

Go here: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

At the bottom of the list of links is one for a medical necessity form.  You get your Dr to fill this out and the Insurance barrier will be lifted.

You should also check out this link: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.  Loads of great non-medical treatments there.

Good luck this weekend.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 9:30am

WELDER'S OXYGEN IS THE SAME THING.  GO BUY A BIG TANK FILLED FOR ABOUT $150.  ITS THEN ABOUT $25 FOR REFILLS.  OTHERS WILL LET YOU KNOW THE QUICKEST WYA TO GET A PROPER MASK AND A REGULATOR.   NO INSURANCE NEEDED AT A WELDING SUPPLY COMPANY.  JUST DON'T TELL THEM YOU ARE USING IT MEDICALLY.

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

primetime
CH.com Junior

Still standing....barely

Baltimore, MD
Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 12:32pm

Thanks so much for the info on O2, I am trying to get a an appt. for some time next week and I will take in one of the forms.

Also, I had a giant cup of coffee this morning with a double shot of espresso and it did seem to take the edge off a bit. I will have to find an energy drink to stock up on because I can't stand Red Bull.

I can't say enough how thnakful I am to have found this site and people to lean on for advice and support....it is infinitely helpful.

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 12:48pm

Hi Prime,

Just be sure that the energy drink you are using contains both taurine and caffeine, preferably at 1000mgs. So do not take any of those sports drinks they offer you at the gym. My dear gf and supporter once bought me one of those when I was out of medication and asked her to get me an energy drink. They don't do shit! Off course she didn't know that. But be sure you do.
Remember, caffeine and taurine.

PF vibes from the Netherlands.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

primetime
CH.com Junior

Still standing....barely

Baltimore, MD
Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 5:23pm

My doctor just squeezed me in after her last appointment today. She is a life saver. She gave some samples of fairly new medicine called Treximet. It is 85 mg of Immitrex, with a 500 mg buffer of naproxen sodium.  I'm hoping it works!!!

IP Logged

ReeseC
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

San Francisco
Reply #10 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 6:03pm

Have you tried vigorous exercise?  It has helped to take the edge off for me.  Get your heartrate way up high by doing jumping jacks, jogging, jumping in place has high as you can, jumping rope.  I think it helps the same way that breathing O2 helps, by increasing O2 in your bloodstream.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!