Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
your triggers (Read 6319 times)
wanna_swap_brains
CH.com Junior

x0|manchester|England||0|0|
your triggers
Aug 1st, 2008 at 11:12am

hi,just wondering about your own individual triggers,is it every single time you eat,smell or whatever that it triggers or is it occaisionally or do you just assume that certain things are triggers coz thats the last thing you ate,smelt or had contact with??  stuart

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Re: your triggers
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 11:54am

For myself, my triggers are few ... But they ARE triggers ...  With any of them, within ten minutes I am slammed.  I have even tried, just to see if they truly are triggers, and YUP, they are.  Virtually every time.  About 85% of the time they trigger a hit.

But then, that is just me ...

YMMV

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 12:24pm

Cheap perfume......does it everytime.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 12:36pm

Hi Stuart,

When in cycle (which I'm not right now luckily) I have certain triggers who will 100% surely trigger an attack, usually a BIG one. They are:

Middle eastern food, coz of the seasoning.
Beer and most other alcohol.
Sunlight.
Perfumes and deodorant.
Terpentine and the likes (dissolvents).

There are others but they will provoke no real nasty ones. The above mentioned will however.

Greetings and pf time soon,
Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Em
CH.com Alumnus

I wanna go...

St Peter Port, Guernsey.
Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 6:20pm

Mine aren't too dissimilar to the others.

Alcohol
Strong smells (perfume, chemicals, etc)
Weather changes
Painkillers like aspirin and paracetamol

These always cause hits at the higher end of the scale - 7-9's and I feel much worse afterwards when I'm triggered (as opposed to just getting them in a cycle).

Em
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2008 at 6:21pm by Em »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Em emily.wensink 655755088  
IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 6:35pm

Emily, off course after some 15 years of episodic CH I know Ibuprofen, paracetamol and what have you not, will do nothing to stop the hit (duh..... thanx to the Dutch guy for pointing out the obvious  Grin).
But I find it interesting you mention them as triggers. I too have thought that on many occassions, but wasn't really sure. They could be though.  I have noticed several times that when I took some of those against hightened muscle tension, I would be rewarded with a lovely 8 or higher.
I'm curious if someone here could back that up with a research?

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Em
CH.com Alumnus

I wanna go...

St Peter Port, Guernsey.
Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 6:45pm

My CH is just a fledgling. They started last March and the hits have rarely been as ferocious as they were in the first 6 months before a dx. I just kept taking the painkillers in the hope it would help. DUH!

Once finding out it was CH, I stopped taking them altogether, realising it wouldn't help.

I then had a cold and had one of those hot drink medicines and WHACK. It happened with a cough medicine and then when I twisted my knee I took some painkillers and I could feel it coming. That was the final confirmation I needed to recognise it.

I keep well away now!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Em emily.wensink 655755088  
IP Logged

ReeseC
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

San Francisco
Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 8:34pm

Alcohol has been a trigger every time, but if I have sip a single glass throughout a large meal, where the alcohol becomes so diluted that I don't feel it at all, then it's not a trigger.

IP Logged

chewbaccamonkeylunch
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Weatherford, TX
Reply #8 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 4:17pm

I found a new one this week. Mowing the yard in 100 degree temps!

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #9 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 8:53pm

Don't think I have too many surefire triggers, but two that have definitely bubbled to the surface, so to speak, are naturally great personal favorites. The first is Demon Alcohol, which I can't drink anymore or maybe just for awhile. So in order to anesthetize myself against the horrors of modern life and the election season I've switched to another mind-numbing and soul-destroying soporofic, American television. Just not the news channels.

I also note however that my regular evening hot bath is something to be avoided. When in cycle or, like now, in the seemingly interminable (okay, it's only been a month or so but it seems like forever) slow "low but steady pressure/pain" slide away from a cycle, that particular evening delight is a great way to bring on a massive strike a bit later on. Yet, oddly, standing under the blast of a hot shower during an attack seems to give me some temporary relief.

I'd read somewhere or other that a small number of participants to a CH study, or maybe it was respondents to a survey, listed hot baths/steam baths as a trigger. I asked my neurologist about this and he didn't know anything about it. And he's pretty knowledgeable about this nasty business all in all.

Wondering if anyone else here has experienced this.... I'm guessing it must have something to do with blood vessel dilation?

Oh well. I console myself with the knowledge that showers use less water.

David

IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #10 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 9:58pm

A long run - an hour or more. The run always feels great, no shadows or anything, then BAM within 10 to 15 minutes I'm on my knees.

Alcohol, when in high cycle. Although, I've been getting riskier these days and I think it doesn't effect me like it used to. But before I knew what I had, I had some nasty hits in bars (boy is that fun)

Food or scents don't effect me.

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

CH Keith
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 5:11pm

I have long remission, so I never really thought about triggers until this season.  I've been avoiding soy, MSG, nitrites, alcohol, smoking, caffeine, cheese, and chocolate at the recommendation of my Dr.  I can't say it has helped with the big ones and since there isn't a lot left, there isn't really anything that I've been having daily, which is how often I'm getting them presently, that I could attribute as a trigger.  I will say that the pre-season, the months of shadows leading up to the severe bouts, were much easier this time around.

Best of luck to you finding yours.
many PFD to you.

IP Logged

wanna_swap_brains
CH.com Junior

Reply #12 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 2:26am

my only deffo is a hot bath.the day i wrote this post though i had just aborted with o2(properly)had to go supermarket(40 mins)then petrol station and within 10 mins of leaving petrol station bang,we just assumed the petrol had triggered it,this has never happened before or since,thats why i asked wether its always,sometimes or we just assume that things are triggers.thanks for replies stuart

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Reply #13 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 12:56pm

chewbaccamonkeylunch wrote on Aug 8th, 2008 at 4:17pm:
I found a new one this week. Mowing the yard in 100 degree temps!

And you expect us to believe that the wife fell for that hair brained excuse???    Wink   Grin

(Maybe I should have tried that one out, back when I was married ...)

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Reply #14 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 12:59pm

wanna_swap_brains wrote on Aug 10th, 2008 at 2:26am:
within 10 mins of leaving petrol station bang,

It has to happen more than once to be a trigger.  If it was (and that IS a trigger for a few people) a true trigger, it should happen almost every time.  Or at least more times than it doesn't trigger.

Chuck

ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #15 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 1:04pm

wanna_swap_brains wrote on Aug 10th, 2008 at 2:26am:
my only deffo is a hot bath.

Stuart, thanks for that - you're the only other person I've heard of for whom this is the case. I knew I wasn't crazy!  Wait.... wait.... that's wrong. I am crazy. Sorry.

David

IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #16 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 1:06pm

My trigger is:
my wife hits on the master or amex
and “drops” on the shoping street (Bahnhofstrasse) in Zurich,
or els where……

Michael

IP Logged

wanna_swap_brains
CH.com Junior

Reply #17 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 2:50pm

balanchine,i now only have cold baths,try sitting upside down(head near taps not feet)with cold tap running on your head.also see if your missus will wash your meat and 2 veg as you cant move Wink

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #18 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 3:06pm

No missus. Showers instead. Sure do miss the baths though. As for the meat and vegs.... I have my memories....sob.... choke....

IP Logged

wanna_swap_brains
CH.com Junior

Reply #19 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 3:13pm

no missus,guess you do need the (extra) cold showers then,good luck mate

IP Logged

ReeseC
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

San Francisco
Reply #20 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 4:19pm

David, My first CH this cycle was during a hot bath.  I haven't been so masochistic as to repeat this act to test if it is a trigger.  Smiley

IP Logged

BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
Reply #21 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 4:47pm

Hi

My triggers are weather changes usually when its about to rain, strong smells like chemicals or perfume and being hungry if im hungry i always get hit hard

Regards
Brian

PF Wishes to all.&&We all live with this crap But it is not who we are dont let it control you!!!.

IP Logged

byoung111
CH.com Junior

It's just one of those
days!

Portland, OR
Reply #22 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 10:33pm

Over the last 12 years I can only say I know of one trigger. Alcohol. I avoid it like the plague when I'm in cycle, and drink it like it's going out of style when I'm out  Wink

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #23 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 10:41pm

Here is mine-

hot steamy baths
Cold capri sun juices ( got hit everytime after drinking one)            
        but not cold red bull or soda?

shadows from sharpies or magic marker smell

Thanks to the board I read right away about alcohol so I never drank while in cycle.  Have only had 1 beer and 1/2 of one since out of cycle- still too scared.

I couldn't pinpoint any other triggers in terms of food etc- the rest seemed pretty random to me-

IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #24 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 9:17am

1. burnt foods (eg: popcorn)
2. When the barometric pressure changes rapidly
3. woodburning fireplaces. (smokey)

To accept the challenge is the destiny of leadership.
WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!