Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Altitude and CH - any thoughts? (Read 2385 times)
Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Altitude and CH - any thoughts?
Aug 1st, 2008 at 3:04pm

I'm planning on doing a 14er in the Sierras in a couple of weeks (Mt. Langley to be specific, at 14, 026). Many people get mountain sickness when going high, especially above about 10-11K feet. I haven't been to 14 since I was a tadpole (a non-CH suffering amphibian, I might add) and am a little concerned.

In the past few weeks I've been doing some local LA area practice climbs, topping out at 9400 last weekend. Tomorrow I'm climbing to a bit over 10.

In the case of my recent trips to the mountains - and I'm more or less finished with my 2 1/2 month cycle now, although I've still got pressure in and around the ear, but no true attacks - each time I've begun my descent below about a mile I've begun to get hit. Not a full blown screamer, but something that definitely got my attention.

I toughed it out each time and it went away in a few hours at sea level where I live.

I'd be curious if anyone of our group has had any experience with climbing and CH. I also one day would love to be able to dive again.... but that's another story for another time.

Many thanks, all.
David

IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Re: Altitude and CH - any thoughts?
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 6:06pm

I've never hiked much above 13, so I can't comment on those lofty heights.  A few summers ago during a 10-day trip to Colorado (from the lowly Wisconsin) I stayed most of that time at 11,000 and hiked up to 13,000.  I was out of cycle and had no immediate attacks as a result.  But after about a week, I got the beginnings of a short summer cycle, which was unheard of for me.  Although it lasted only a couple of weeks, it was particularly nasty.  I'm inclined to think that it was more about the change of pace in general and disruption of my normal schedule than the altitude/oxygen levels.  I suppose you could take along some hikers O2 if it's available.
Good luck and have fun.
Patti

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 9:06pm

Hi David,

Every summer I visit my brother and sis-in-law at their mtn cabin in Ca. It's at 7000+ feet and we frequently go up to 10,000+ on hikes. G-damn the beast, I wouldn't miss it for ANYTHING. I take a couple of e tanks to the cabin and ALWAYS have my Zomig NS on hand. About 50% of the time (trips), I get hit (sometimes HARD). Don't care...cuz this is livin.

Bring your prevents and aborts, have fun...the beast be damned...

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 10:34pm

Patti and Jon - many thanks for your reports. Your experience is interesting, Patti... and of course disheartening. My trip will be backpacking so I doubt I'll be in a position to take oxygen, but it's worth a looksee. In any event I'll certainly have some 'trex in my kit just in case. If things get nasty and don't seem to be letting up I'll always have the option to hike back out to the car. As you say, Jon, I won't let a little thing like a Kip 9 keep me off the mountain... I think...

I'll let you know how it goes!

David

IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 10:44pm

Yes, please let us know how it goes for you.  In Colorado, the outdoor retailers and equipment renters had very lightweight O2 cylinders for high altitude hikers.  Maybe it would be a manageable weight to backpack with if it's available in your region.  BTW, my mini-cycle didn't show up until the tail end of my trip--not at all during the first week when I was the most active.  Again,good luck.
Patti

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2008 at 4:14am

I do have a problem with my head when i change altitudes.  I go to central Oregon sometimes and that is about 3000 feet higher than where i live and it's bad news.  I also sometimes go to northern AZ at about 6000 feet and all hell breaks loose.  It sounds like if you are doing moderately ok with going to 9k feet, it shouldnt be a problem.  I would definately keep training at the 9 to 10k alt. 

Good luck on your hike!!  I use to hike at sea level and climb maybe 2000 feet.  I did my first hike Nevada at about 5000 feet and it totally kicked my ass.  I couldnt figure out why I felt so tired......I thought I didnt eat properly.   Grin

I had a hard time skiing at 8000 feet.  I couldnt imagine hiking over 12k

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2008 at 8:21am

Over the years I've NEVER seen any medical lit reference to altitude as a trigger or being related to CH. ?????

The difference between us and the good scientist is how we process a relationship like this. We get an idea: CH tied to altitude (and no criticism implied in these comments!) We see such relationships in messages with some regularly.

The scientist will think: IF CH appears at altitude what other variables may also be operating at the same time? My first reaction was: perhaps not altitude but increase in body heat with exertion. But could be a random event or one or more other factors operating. ?????

It would be interesting to see if folks report attacks while flying. That would eliminate the factor of body heating--or at the least, challenge the potential for altitude alone being causal.

It does get complex, no?

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2008 at 1:12pm

Bob Johnson wrote on Aug 2nd, 2008 at 8:21am:
It does get complex, no?

Oh Bob, yessir! Empirical vs anecdotal. I will reiterate what I HOPE I have made clear in my time on this board. My comments relate to ME.
YMMV. As Brian says, 26 yrs of CH and still no bloody good at it (love that comment). My background, training, and profession is science. Empirical means more to me.

That said, through the years of this nightmare, I have observed what works for me (or doesn't), what affects me (or doesn't). It's ALL anecdotal. I comment when I think appropriate, that's why we're here. Someday, all this anecdotal experience may have some meaning...til then, I'll just keep throwing it out...

Best,

Jon

AND, my appreciation for what YOU provide this community, well, your contribution is priceless...I am in awe...

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

StressFree
CH.com Veteran

James4:8 I'm a moral failure,
but there is hope...

Ridgecrest, California
Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 11:24am

Good Day All,

I've noticed I will get a severe migraine type of headache when hiking at higher altitude. This driving from apx 3000ft, then hiking 8,000 up to 10000 fairly quickly - day hike. It tends to not go away. If I take naproxin (Aleve) early on, it doesn't get too bad but still will be present. I use pressure breathing to help with this, which is to breath deeply and purse your lips and cause back pressure as you breath out. Sort of like you are blowing a trumpet, but without all the noise. This really does seem to help me at altitude. When we hiked Whitney (out of cycle) we stayed the night at 8500 feet before starting up, then stayed at 11,000 ft and then did the peak the last day. This seemed to work well with no altitude issues. It sounds like you are in good shape, that will help!

As to flights, I think most airline flights pressurize at around 8,000 ft equivalent altitude. This has caused a nightmare of a headache when I had a bad cold once, as bad as a KIP10! I traveled overseas for work a couple of times and thought for sure it would bring on a cycle - time change, poor sleep at odd times, stress - but it didn't seem to do it to me, Thank God!

Best of luck and prayers for you, Rich

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 8:40pm

Thanks for all the contributions, folks. At the moment it looks as though the big trip is off - there goes my 3 day summer vacation - but I'm still hoping to do another couple of local mountains, i.e. up to about 10K feet. I'll report if anything strange happens. Last weekend I did a climb that was aborted because we had a 14 year old with us who couldn't hack it, so only got up to about 8K. No problems coming down though.

David

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #10 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 7:45pm

On Monday I climbed to 10,800 ft. By the time I got back to the car and was heading home (2 hour drive) the pain started. I'd say it had reached about a Kip 6-7ish before I swallowed an Imitrex tab, because I have a feeling things were just starting to cook. (although the pill took a damn long time to kick in - nearly an hour).

Interestingly, the first symptoms were repeated sneezing that began not long after I reached the summit. Irritated right nostril - my CH side - and I just sneezed and sneezed. Then the sinus on that side closed up, the eye started to tear... all the charming little extras that normally accompany a full blown hit. But no true pain until I'd got back down to around 8000 ft.

Even two days later my right eye is still weeping and my nostril is clogged, though improving.

It just keeps getting weirder!

Actually I'm more and more thinking that perhaps Bob is right. The symptoms I've been experiencing are a combination of altitude and exertion - again, perhaps just for me. I do note however that speed of descent is a factor. That is, the faster I come down the more likely I am to be hit. This trip was the worst of the summer and the descent was the quickest. All anecdotal of course, but it's great to be able to share this stuff.

David

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!