Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about regulators... (Read 1320 times)
jess-MTL
CH.com Junior

Episodic sufferer

x0|Montreal|Canada||0|0|
Question about regulators...
Aug 5th, 2008 at 10:31am

OK, I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but I can't seem to find an answer elsewhere, so here it is...

I have just started taking scuba diving classes, and I'm wondering if it would be possible to use the same type of regulators they have on the scuba diving tanks for an O2 tank? With my O2 tank, I'm always waiting for the bag to fill, and the oxygen comes out in a constant flow (and at 15 lpm, the tank empties fast!). Wouldn't it be better to have a regulator that gives you as much as you can breathe in, and only when you breathe in? And there wouldn't be the question of breathing air if you use the mouthpiece, since it's in your mouth...

I don't know, it's just a thought... I hope my question made sense! Anyway, thanks in advance for your responses... Smiley

Jess

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Question about regulators...
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 11:36am

I use a "paramedic" style, push button regulator. I know the scuba regulator has a substantially different hook up then the 02 regulator does, so it would require some kind of an adaptor, Jonny??? any ideas??

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Scott Deboodt
CH.com Newbie

Don't let the Beast win

Bremerton, WA
Re: Question about regulators...
Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 1:46pm

My wife and I have been diving for years. While working oversees, a fellow diver, who knew of my condition asked me if an on demand regulator would work better. We talked about it, thinking it would deliver a higher concentration of O2, with less waste. O2 can be very expensive oversees. I have been using them now for 5 years, I will not go back to the other masks. You can even get them with a push button that will deliver O2 without having to breath through the regulator. I got my first one through DAN (Divers Alert Network), I have a couple more that I purchased through a Medical Supply for EMT's. "Life Support Products" out of St Louis is the Company that manufactures them. They are about $225.00, not cheap, but they are high quality and will last for a long time with proper care. You will also need to have a high pressure port on your regulator to hook them up.
Good luck with the Diving Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!