Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
It's been about 3 weeks... (Read 1016 times)
adzblazini
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

It's been about 3 weeks...
Aug 5th, 2008 at 12:16pm

I feel like it might be a little early to diagnose myself with CH, 3 weeks is nothing compared to the years that many people here have been suffering. But these 3 weeks have been very difficult for me. Started with 2-3 headaches a day with increasing pain. I've had many headaches but none of this magnitude. I became especially concerned the first time I was woken out of my sleep with excruciating pain.
I started to search online for my symptoms and came across CH. The symptoms were so familiar, pain behind the right eye, congested nose, extreme restlessness...

Last night was the worst attack I have had so far. That is how I came across this website. My girlfriend was trying to comfort me and she ended up getting online and found this site. After about 2 hours of the pain she found suggestions of coffee. After drinking a cup of coffee the pain subsided within minutes. When I first started getting these episodes I would take Tylenol and the headaches would go away in 30-45 minutes. Now, Tylenol does absolutely nothing. I'm wondering if this will happen with coffee also?

I'm glad that this site is here because I thought I was exaggerating my pain, but these posts reinforce my feelings about my attacks. They are excruciating, I've never felt pain like this in my life. I am 27 years old and I have read that these attacks generally start before the age of 30. I have not been to a doctor yet but plan to in the very near future. From what I read here many doctors might disregard what your feeling and I just want to make sure that I have a clear understanding of what is happening in my head so I can clearly and specifically describe it to my doctor.

I have been reading a lot of information from this site and I really appreciate the thoughts that everyone has to offer. It's good to know that I am not losing my mind.

How long should I wait before I can know that this is Cluster Headaches? I want to make sure that I'm not crying wolf...

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Re: It's been about 3 weeks...
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 1:49pm

Hi,

To get a real diagnosis, you should visit a neurologist with knowledge about headaches. it can be dangerous to ''self diagnose''. Furthermore, should it be CH, they will subscribe you proper medications, such as imitrex/Imigran, Oxygen, and a preventative like Verapamil. Other medications will not work on CH.
See your doc, with your symptons, the duration, intensity, how frequent they appear, at what times, etc. written down, for in case you might forget during the talk.
good to see coffee works, now try some energy drinks containing both caffeine and taurine (very important) like red Bull.

Keep us posted!

Painfree wishes from the Netherlands,
Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 3:01pm

Do the footwork to find a good doc so that you don't waste time in exchange for needless pain!
---------
1. Search the OUCH site (button on left) for a list of recommended M.D.s.

2. Yellow Pages phone book: look for "Headache Clinics" in the M.D. section and look under "neurologist" where some docs will list speciality areas of practice.

3.  Call your hospital/medical center. They often have an office to assist in finding a physician. You may have to ask for the social worker/patient advocate.

4. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register; On-line screen to find a physician.

5. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Look for "Physician Finder" search box.  Call 1-800-643-5552; they will send a list of M.D.s for your state.I suggest using this source for several reasons: first, we have read several messages from people who, even seeing neurologists, are unhappy with the quality of care and ATTITUDES they have encountered; second, the clinical director of the Jefferson (Philadelphia) Headache Clinic said, in late 1999, that upwards of 40%+ of U.S. doctors have poor training in treating headache and/or hold attitudes about headache ("hysterical female disorder") which block them from sympathetic and effective work with the patient; third, it's necessary to find a doctor who has experience, skill, and a set of attitudes which give hope of success. This is the best method I know of to find such a physician.
=================

Use the Rozen article as a tool to "interview" the doc you see. If he is thinking along the lines outlined and/or he refuses to accept your offer of this article, I'd be cautious.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 9:12pm

welcome adz, sounds like alot of the things you described is CH. but you need to see a doctor. talk about oxygen therpy for clusters. I can kill a headache in less then 5 mins with the 02. No kidding!! Before i started clusterbusting every time i would be in a cycle of about 3 headaches a day for 6 to 8 weeks the only thing that would end the maddness was pregnazone 80mg taper, most all of us has been on it at some point, also talk about imetrex with your doctor or other abortive drugs that can save you from the mad house. Also melatonin at night can help with the night hits, and keep a bag of frozen peas in the ice box, if you get a hit hold it on cluster side and that could help. Another way that worked for me, was to start doing push ups right away, do 4 sets of 25 and it will get the blood moving, and if it dont work at least you can benifit from the pain. One last thing, always keep looking for a way to beat the beast, because if you can save yourself from even one of those god awful headaches we share, then you did something big my friend. Feel better....  Coach bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!