Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wow.. exercise actually worked (Read 1568 times)
roller
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Wow.. exercise actually worked
Aug 9th, 2008 at 7:04pm

So this afternoon I felt one coming and decided to see if I could exercise it out. So I hopped on my bike (by this time it was already 4-5) and it peaked while I was biking. But I kept going and 1-2min after a grueling hill climb, it disappeared! Grin

I'm not sure if it was a coincidence because a few days ago I tried doing squats and they didn't really help. But biking sure worked.

IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Re: Wow.. exercise actually worked
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 7:20pm

In my experience, high intensity exercise ( biking up a grueling hill rather than squats for example) can give me some pain free time. But, a workout of an hour or more can be a trigger for me. I'm a runner and I'm always PF while running. But I've had some bad hits about 10-15 minutes after a run.

Glad you found some relief

Kris

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 8:53pm

The old internist who first diagnosed me suggested exercise. Of course, back then there was noting else!

But makes me speculate that oxygen may work for you if exercise is showing benefit?????

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 9:29pm

Roller,

I agree with Bob.  Oxygen therapy at 15 liters/minute and higher should work very well for you. 

We all know elevating oxygen levels in the bloodstream serves as an effective abortive for our cluster headache attacks.  Another element of effective oxygen therapy if flow rates are high enough is lowering CO2 levels in the bloodstream. 
As exercise ventilates the lungs at a higher rate, it stands to reason that if you were ventilating your lungs at a high enough respiration rate to expel more CO2 than being generated by the exertion of biking, you may have been lowering your overall CO2 levels. Although there are likely other biochemical factors involved, this could explain your abort.

I've found that hyperventilating and using ice when I couldn't get to oxygen or another abortive like a triptan nasal spray a reasonable intervention.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

hurts_so_good
CH.com Junior

Hate headaches, love Linux

Lurgan, UK
Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 10:31pm

Hi KostaRicaKris,

Just wanted to welcome your new avatar on board.

Ian

Help defeat cluster headaches - use Linux
imnotanaccountant  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!