Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Accupuncture, anybody try it? (Read 2638 times)
Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Accupuncture, anybody try it?
Aug 12th, 2008 at 1:30pm

I'm just trying to save my time and money and wanted to see if others have tried accupuncture.  

I've tried a chiro, and cranial sacral theropy which didn't seem to work at all.  
The cranial threropy was at the end of a bout so I don't know if it really worked or not.I like to try natural things before preventative drugs like Top or Vera.  I'm looking for info on prevention using natural remedies.  I use Imitrex as my abortive drug and have no other choice since I take it well before an attack especially at work.  Imitrex has been my ONLY relieve since I was diagnosed many years ago.
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2008 at 1:32pm by Chad »  

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Re: Accupuncture, anybody try it?
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 1:54pm

I have never tried accupuncture, but hear it is not very effective against CH. 

Just curious, have you tried oxygen yet?  It works as a really good abortive for many of us.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Re: Acupuncture, anybody try it?
Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 2:13pm

Acupuncture is not a treatment for CH. This has been discussed over and over and the general consensus has indicated it is a waste of time and money...for CH.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
These are CH treatments.
There are also indications that these will work as well
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
O2,02,02
all the best
thebb
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2008 at 2:14pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 2:21pm

Quote:
I have never tried accupuncture, but hear it is not very effective against CH.  

Just curious, have you tried oxygen yet?  It works as a really good abortive for many of us.

Bingo!  That's the next step for me.  I almost feel quilty saying this, but my bouts or phases as I call it have gotten less as I get older.

I use to get (2) 4 to 7 week bouts twice a year.  Ever since I quit smoking it has reduced to (2) 2 to 3 weeks a year.  I'm pretty sure i'm entering remission as we speak because today was the first CH I got in 2 days with k3 pain.  I was getting 3/day for 2 straight weeks which is nothing compared to some of you. 

Back to O2. I plan on calling my neuro office to set up an appointment about getting O2 prescribed.  In my neuro group, there are doctors who specialize in different neuro stuff and luckily for me, one specializes in migraine and cluster headaches.  The unfortunate thing is I haven't been there in 4 years and I believe he is retired.  I knew I was in the right office though when I saw a poster in the waiting room showing the magnitude of CH's compared to migraines.  The only thing I didn't like was that he wanted to start me on Topamax which I did research on and read the side affects.  He gave me some free samples with a program he wrote out, but I never took them.  That's what lead me to write this thread seeking alternative natural procedures for prenvention. 

If anybody has any other suggestions, my ears are open.

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Re: Acupuncture, anybody try it?
Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 2:27pm

Quote:
Acupuncture is not a treatment for CH. This has been discussed over and over and the general consensus has indicated it is a waste of time and money...for CH.
These are CH treatments.
There are also indications that these will work as well
O2,02,02
all the best
thebb
Thanks my friend.  I'm new here as you can see and knew about O2 for years, but had to hear it from actual sufferers to look more into it.  That will be my next mission at the doctor. 

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 2:37pm

"That's what lead me to write this thread seeking alternative natural procedures for prenvention."

What is more natural than breathing oygen?   Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2008 at 2:40pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 2:40pm

That would be a good thing. 02 is very effective. All you need now is a natural preventative. Stick around and you will find there are choices and hope.
all the best
thebb
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2008 at 2:41pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #7 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 8:10pm

Accupuncture for CH?, to answer your question...nope, as many here can attest.

I have ongoing lower back problems (many years of STUPID lifting practices plus age). Anyway, after an on the job injury, mri, cat scan,
suggestion for surgery and/or steroid injections (umm, nope doc, you aint cuttin or stickin me) he recognized and appreciated my concerns.
(one of the few doc's I've ever met with a willingness to consider alternative treatments). Told me, well, based on your concerns and reluctance for what I have to offer, I know an accupuncturist who MIGHT be able to help. Your call... With nothing to lose, I tried. It has been over a year now and I am completely free of symptoms (for the first time in years).

No placebo here. I know my body and I know what I've dealt with for a long time now. IT WORKED. He did tell me, well, I can help your CH too, have done it with others! Bad start, and I told him so...he said ok, let's see.

He no longer brings up CH cuz it didn't do squat for that, but, as I said, back issues? OH YEAH...

FWIW

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 1:45am

accupuncture for CH?  nah

kelly

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #9 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 5:23am

I appreciate all of your feedback.   

This thread has made my decision easy and it will save me money considering one session is $80 a pop out of your pocket.

I will pass this info onto others, but as Jon said, it can work for other things as it did for my dads knee pain.  He has been pain free ever since.

What have learned now and through the years,  Chiros and Accupuncture DOESN'T WORK.

Next step, O2!

Thanks all  Smiley

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #10 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 6:24am

Chad,

What did you mean by: I take Imitrex before I get hit.
Did you mean as a preventative? For all I know that won't work.

Or did you mean before the hit could develop into a fullblown attack? While it still builds up?

As for the acupuncture question, I have no idea.
I've learnt some pressurepoints from an acupressure book to relieve my gf's tensionheadaches. But they do not work on my CH, unfortunately

Regards, Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #11 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 7:17am

maalstroom wrote on Aug 13th, 2008 at 6:24am:
Chad,

What did you mean by: I take Imitrex before I get hit.
Did you mean as a preventative? For all I know that won't work.

Or did you mean before the hit could develop into a fullblown attack? While it still builds up?

As for the acupuncture question, I have no idea.
I've learnt some pressurepoints from an acupressure book to relieve my gf's tensionheadaches. But they do not work on my CH, unfortunately

Regards, Pascal.
I meant before the hit could develop into a full blown attack.  I take 50mg of Imitrex before a hit which is usually a guess and the hits are consistant everyday while in a bout.  It's a preventative measure for relief at work.  I don't get more than 3 CH/day so I know about when they're coming.  I won't even get a shadow if I take an Imitrex like an hour before the suspected onset.  If the shadow is already there, chances are the Imitrex won't work.
I was tricked in the past when I took Imitrex during a shadow and the pain subsided, but here it was really just a low level kip headache that was short in span.  Those who are new to CH, need to know the right way to use Triptans.  It's not magic, it's just timing and trust me, I have wasted many Imitrex because my timing was off.

Pascal, I'm pretty sure pressure points would work with other problems or headaches, but like you and many others said, not for CH's.

Peace,
Chad
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2008 at 7:18am by Chad »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!