Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Red Bull Warning (Read 3163 times)
Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus

What Goes Around Comes
Around!

Georgetown,Ontario
Red Bull Warning
Aug 16th, 2008 at 9:24pm

Don't shoot the messenger - I just read this on a Canadian
News site.

Use Of Red Bull Linked To Heart Attack And Stroke Risk: Study
Friday August 15, 2008
By Rob Taylor, Reuters

Just one can of the popular stimulant energy drink Red Bull can increase the risk of heart attack or stroke, even in young people, Australian medical researchers said on Friday.

The caffeine-loaded beverage, popular with university students and adrenaline sport fans to give them "wings", caused the blood to become sticky, a pre-cursor to cardiovascular problems such as stroke.

"One hour after they drank Red Bull, (their blood systems) were no longer normal. They were abnormal like we would expect in a patient with cardiovascular disease," Scott Willoughby, lead researcher from the Cardiovascular Research Centre at the Royal Adelaide Hospital, told the Australian newspaper.

Red Bull Australia spokeswoman Linda Rychter said the report would be assessed by the company's head office in Austria.

"The study does not show effects which would go beyond that of drinking a cup of coffee. Therefore, the reported results were to be expected and lie within the normal physiological range," Rychter told Reuters.

Willoughby and his team tested the cardiovascular systems of 30 young adults one hour before and one hour after consuming one 250ml can of sugar-free Red Bull.

The results showed "normal people develop symptoms normally associated with cardiovascular disease" after consuming the drink, created in the 1980s by Austrian entrepreneur Dietrich Mateschitz based on a similar Thai energy drink.

Red Bull is banned in Norway, Uruguay and Denmark because of health risks listed on its cans, but the company last year sold 3.5 billion cans in 143 countries. One can contains 80 mg of caffeine, around the same as a normal cup of brewed coffee.

The Austria-based company, whose marketing says "Red Bull gives you wings", sponsors Formula 1 race cars and extreme sport events around the world, but warns consumers not to drink more than two cans a day.

Rychter said Red Bull could only have such global sales because health authorities across the world had concluded the drink was safe to consume.

But Willoughby said Red Bull could be deadly when combined with stress or high blood pressure, impairing proper blood vessel function and possibly lifting the risk of blood clotting.

"If you have any predisposition to cardiovascular disease, I'd think twice about drinking it," he said.

Take it for what it's worth.
Carol

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Re: Red Bull Warning
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 12:22am

Curious article. No need to shoot the messenger, it's something worth discussing.  The concerns may be valid, or they may be a false alarm, but we won't find out by shooting anyone.

Am looking for the paper, haven't found it yet. Of all the 600 articles on that research that I found on the net, most seem to be regurgitation of the same information - some shorter and less detailed, none that I found with more information.  Nowhere does any reporter bother to report what 'symptoms' become worse after drinking Red Bull, or to what degree (other than 'sticky blood').

Willoughby seems to have done several papers on blood cell and blood vessel response to nitric oxide - his findings in other studies were that reduced response to nitric oxide is characteristic of heart disease.

Here's a study that found that taurine made blood less sticky, not more - it lowered blood clotting (platelet aggregation) by 10% - which goes against the idea that taurine increases the risk of stroke (which is a blood clot that travels to the brain).
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Taurine does reduce nitric oxide - which may actually be good during a cluster attack. When people are in cycle, nitroglycerin is usually a pretty good trigger, suggesting that we are too sensitive to nitric oxide, or have too much.  

But like nitric oxide, taurine also relaxes blood vessels - this is the opposite of the idea that Red Bull causes blood vessels to clench up and may contribute to stroke.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here's a study that found that taurine actually improves the vascular reactivity of diabetic mice - they were less likely to have the abnormal over-reaction to adrenaline and close the blood vessels too much, less likely to have over-expansion of blood vessels in response to acetylcholine.  

The general conclusion about taurine is that it reduces blood pressure ... lower blood pressure is generally linked to a lower risk of stroke.

Here's a study that found that taurine reduced brain damage when stroke was induced in lab animals; it suggested that taurine has potential in treating strokes.

There may be some other risk factor that taurine increases - too soon to tell. Or it may be something other than taurine in the Red Bull that affects whatever it is that Willoughby was measuring (for example, WTF is glucuronolactone?) Or it may be that Willoughby is basing his predictions on something that doesn't translate to real risk.  Don't know, will be watching this one.

I do think that mixing Red Bull with calcium channel blockers is a potentially bad idea.  
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2008 at 12:42am by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 2:27am

The only thing I can think of with these that would increase the risk would be the increased heart rate...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register France banned it, it doesn't state why the other countries banned it, just that they had. And that they mainly did it because of the caffiene, not just the taurine...

ETA: This is interesting! An article talking about Taurine working in the brain. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
It has effects on the thalmus. Maybe it has some kind of effect on our hypothalmus?
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2008 at 2:34am by Pixie-elf »  

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 4:52am

Interesting. I wonder what they mean by sticky blood? This is definitely something to be watched.

I wonder if any of our members here have had any problems after drinking Red Bull or any similar drinks?

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 7:29am

That same news piece was published at our biggest newspaper this weekend. However, the piece was much shorter, so I'm glad to know more about the study. Smiley

And naturally I do wonder if the same applies to all energy drinks...

Sanna

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 9:05am

A sincere thank you to all involved so far.  This sort of research is terrifically important to us all so we can make our own decisions on personal health-care based on all the information available.  

Surely that's what ch.com has been all about since the get-go.

The one thing I'll add is that, here in Oz at least, kids have taken to using caffiene-based energy drinks as mixers with their vodka/tequila/whiskey and the results have been catastrophic.  I worry that such carry-on might cause the demise of the energy drink, rather than addressing the problem.

As to shooting messengers?  I'd rather wake up next to her to cook a fair dinkum breakfast.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 4:04am

AussieBrian, that's not just there! The problem is though, the energy drink masks just how drunk you are... you can't tell! Which is what I've heard tends to be the main cause of problems, i.e. alcohol poisoning.

purpleydog wrote on Aug 17th, 2008 at 4:52am:
Interesting. I wonder what they mean by sticky blood? This is definitely something to be watched.

I wonder if any of our members here have had any problems after drinking Red Bull or any similar drinks?

The sticky blood is likely referring to the coagulation. You know how as blood dries it becomes more sticky?

Some of the times when I bled pretty bad after an injection it'd take a bit to clean up the blood, so, instead of being liquidy, instead it was very tacky. I'm guessing they're inferring that it's clotting factor is increased.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2008 at 4:05am by Pixie-elf »  

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 4:20am

Back in here a lot of young people are drinking energy drinks, without a doubt many of them are drinking them daily, all year around and are not aware/don't care about the risks. Of course the caffeine/taurine content varies from energy drink to energy drink, but back in here the vast majority have similar amount of caffeine and taurine than Red Bull. Aguess our health officials have a new issue in their hands if this development continues...

Sanna

IP Logged

superhawk2300
CH.com Hall of Famer

New Berlin, WI
Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 10:46pm

I don't mean to be a bugger here but couldn't everything in the Red Bull article be said about verapamil and every triptan out there as well?!?!?

WWW 1107217852  
IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 10:51pm

superhawk2300 wrote on Aug 18th, 2008 at 10:46pm:
I don't mean to be a bugger here but couldn't everything in the Red Bull article be said about verapamil and every triptan out there as well?!?!?

Most likely, but at least with all of these we're told the risks up front. Even if it's not really confirmed or not, it's good to know that there -may- be one.

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!