Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CLUSTER: Overview; triggers; causal mechanisms (Read 1257 times)
Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
CLUSTER: Overview; triggers; causal mechanisms
Aug 18th, 2008 at 9:00am

Cluster headache.
From: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases)
[One of the best, easy to read articles I've found. Suggest you print out a full length copy if you are serious about keeping a good literature library.]

Leroux E, Ducros A.

ABSTRACT: Cluster headache (CH) is a primary headache disease characterized by recurrent short-lasting attacks (15 to 180 minutes) of excruciating unilateral periorbital pain accompanied by ipsilateral autonomic signs (lacrimation, nasal congestion, ptosis, miosis, lid edema, redness of the eye). It affects young adults, predominantly males. Prevalence is estimated at 0.5-1.0/1,000. CH has a circannual and circadian periodicity, attacks being clustered (hence the name) in bouts that can occur during specific months of the year. ALCOHOL IS THE ONLY DIETARY TRIGGER OF CH, STRONG ODORS (MAINLY SOLVENTS AND CIGARETTE SMOKE) AND NAPPING MAY ALSO TRIGGER CH ATTACKS. During bouts, attacks may happen at precise hours, especially during the night. During the attacks, patients tend to be restless. CH may be episodic or chronic, depending on the presence of remission periods. CH IS ASSOCIATED WITH TRIGEMINOVASCULAR ACTIVATION AND NEUROENDOCRINE AND VEGETATIVE DISTURBANCES, HOWEVER, THE PRECISE CAUSATIVE MECHANISMS REMAIN UNKNOWN. Involvement of the hypothalamus (a structure regulating endocrine function and sleep-wake rhythms) has been confirmed, explaining, at least in part, the cyclic aspects of CH. The disease is familial in about 10% of cases. Genetic factors play a role in CH susceptibility, and a causative role has been suggested for the hypocretin receptor gene. Diagnosis is clinical. Differential diagnoses include other primary headache diseases such as migraine, paroxysmal hemicrania and SUNCT syndrome. At present, there is no curative treatment. There are efficient treatments to shorten the painful attacks (acute treatments) and to reduce the number of daily attacks (prophylactic treatments). Acute treatment is based on subcutaneous administration of sumatriptan and high-flow oxygen. Verapamil, lithium, methysergide, prednisone, greater occipital nerve blocks and topiramate may be used for prophylaxis. In refractory cases, deep-brain stimulation of the hypothalamus and greater occipital nerve stimulators have been tried in experimental settings.THE DISEASE COURSE OVER A LIFETIME IS UNPREDICTABLE. Some patients have only one period of attacks, while in others the disease evolves from episodic to chronic form.

PMID: 18651939 [PubMed
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2008 at 1:01pm by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Re: CLUSTER: Overview; triggers; causal mechanisms
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 12:24pm

Bump! Cool
thanks again Bob
thebb

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 3:57pm

Thanx Bob, for pointing us to this very interesting article.
I think everyone should read it.

Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 12:35pm

Bump again.
thebb

IP Logged

Spoticus
CH.com Junior

x0|Banora Point|Australia||0|0
Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 12:50pm

thanks for the article helped me pass an hour of the pain Sad

I will certainly be showing it to some of my friends/family that often try to give medical advice on CH that is way off base. I think it will help them understand the options us cluster heads have.

IP Logged

skianta
CH.com Newbie

I want................

Milano Italy
Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 6:35pm

The scientific comunity doesn t say nothing about the broblem that ave the person operated with beep brain stimulation in Besta Hospital of Milan.

The person that are operate need again drugs. Someone about 30% doesn t have benefit . The DBS is very danger.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!