Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
O2 question from newbie (Read 2782 times)
Tfurby
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

O2 question from newbie
Aug 18th, 2008 at 3:33pm

Hello Everyone it is so wonderful to find a place where everyone actually understands!!!!
I am a 46 year old female and have been living with cluster headaches for about 4 years now. I have been dealing with them without medication. I have a lot of health issues that prevent me from taking most meds. But I have gotten a LOT of good advice from all of you that has made my life more bearable.
I finally talked to a doctor about O2 therapy and he agreed that it was my best option. I have an appointment a week from tomorrow. Hopefully I will get my RX then.
My question is...Do you need a RX to get the equipment or just for the O2. If you dont need a RX for equipment then I know someone who has it that I can use to see if O2 therapy works for me. If it works then I can purchace my own.
Also I drink soda for caffiene to help relieve my headaches but I usually have to drink 2 or 3 to get any relief(redbull makes me vomit)has anyone taken a caffiene pill? It was an idea. I thought that might get into my system a little faster.
I welcome any and ALL ADVICE. I have a little over a week to go before I can see my doctor and I am getting hit at least 5 times a day with at least 1 hit being a kip 10.Thank you.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: O2 question from newbie
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 5:51pm

I do not know what the law says about getting the equipment, but here in San Diego, my original supplier wouldn't even work on my regulator while my RX was expired. Your mileage may vary!

For now try ice packs at the base of the neck and accross the affected side of your head, frozen pees work really well for this, that'll bring me some relief. Have never tried caffeine pills, I think I'd chew them if I did as speed is of the essence. Certainly couldn't hurt to try. The ingredient you'll be missing is the taurine which really seems to speed up the relief faster then caffeine alone. Good luck at the doc, the oxygen has been a life saver for me.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 12:02am

Tfurby wrote on Aug 18th, 2008 at 3:33pm:
Do you need a RX to get the equipment or just for the O2. If you dont need a RX for equipment then I know someone who has it that I can use to see if O2 therapy works for me. If it works then I can purchace my own.

The script is only for the oxygen.  Anyone can buy the regulator and mask.  Many of us (myself included) buy our regulators off eBay.  Be aware that there are two types of regulators.  One fits the larger tanks (M) and the other fits the smaller, portable tanks like the "E" (most common) and "D" tanks.

A suggestion, if you are going to buy one, buy one that goes up to 25 LPM, instead of the normal 15 LPM.  Many find the higher flow rate aborts faster.

Good luck with the oxygen, it has been a life saver for most of us!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 9:59am

Also there are other energy drinks besides Red Bull. I've got some called Chic (cheap as the devil) that have 1500mg of taurine and a lot of caffeine. I open a can and let the carbonation out (thanks to Linda H's suggestion on that one). I gag on the carbonation -- you might try that to get it down. It tastes a lot better than Red Bull and works just as well.

The O2 has been a lifesaver for a whole lot of us. Get on it asap....

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Tfurby
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 12:01pm

Thanks so much for the advice. I tried the caffiene pills and they seem to help. I do chew them as Guiseppi suggested and I down a sdoa and in a few minutes the headache is better. The ice pack helps sometimes too but sometimes it makes it worse.
I am hoping to have O2 Tuesday...thats when my Dr. appointment is. I am going to try to have my equipment by then too.
Are some cycles worse than the others....cause this one has been a real bitch!! Its 4 weeks into it and I know I usually have about 12 to 14 weeks to a cycle. Only 8-10 weeks left...seems like forever!!!
Thank-you again. I am so lucky to have found Clusterheads!

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 12:21pm

Guiseppi wrote on Aug 18th, 2008 at 5:51pm:
For now try ice packs at the base of the neck and accross the affected side of your head, frozen pees work really well for this,

Tfurby wrote on Aug 20th, 2008 at 12:01pm:
The ice pack helps sometimes too but sometimes it makes it worse.

Just please be aware, Tfurby, our good friend Guiseppe meant to say frozen 'peas'.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Tfurby
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 2:14pm

Now you tell me!!! I thought it sounded odd...but if it will help I'll try anything. Frozen pee bag busted. Pee was running down my neck. NASTY. Thought it must be something in the pee that helps.(Sorry Guiseppi just having a little fun. I knew what you meant.) PF right now and enjoying it while it lasts. I really appreciate you all and all the help you give..and the smiles. It helps A LOT!!!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 2:34pm

Just please be aware, Tfurby, our good friend Guiseppe meant to say frozen 'peas'.

Thas messed up........ Wink

And as far as bad and really bad cycles, I've had cycles where I never hit an 8, and cycles where it seems every damned hit was a 10! Hang in there, hoping the 02 proves the magic bullet for you that it has for me!

Guiseppi

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 12:09pm

Oh sarge, a frozen bag of pee. Grin Grin Grin Grin
thebb

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 8:17pm

Oh sure BB, dog pile on the rabbit! Tongue

Guiseppi

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #10 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 8:43am

GOOD LORD KIDS!!!   That PEAS not PEES!!! 

What HAVE you BEEN DOING to YOURSELVES???? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!