Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Embarrassing question (Read 5404 times)
Mrs Wo
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Wichita Kansas
Embarrassing question
Aug 18th, 2008 at 11:22pm

I have searched around but not found anyone else mentioning that they have loose stools either before or during an attack.  I don't always, but it is very common for me.  Don't know why and can't find any info about it, but it is a good indicator for me that one is on its way and soon.

Anyone else notice this as a symptom and is there anything I should be aware of concering it?  I was told no question is a "stupid" question, but I sure am feeling silly at this moment. Embarrassed

Also, I get really cold sometimes, my husband says my hands are like ice. Anyone else experience this as well?

Kathleen
Wichita, Kansas Embarrassed

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Re: Embarrassing question
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 11:39pm

It's not a stupid question, but I can tell you that it doesn't happen to me, nor have I seen anyone else mention it. Many here are on verapamil, and one of the side effects is constipation.

Oh, yeah - welcome.

IP Logged

Mrs Wo
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Wichita Kansas
Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 11:46pm

Well, Crap! Literally!  LOL!  I am on verap and I am not experiencing constipation tonight.  Just started the verap 4 days ago, but am in pain at the moment. 

I guess there is hope for me yet, I can hope the verap will kick in some time soon and that little nightmare will be over.  One less trip to the bathroom would be nice during these times.

Thanks Brew!
Kathleen
Wichita Kansas

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 11:52pm

Welcome! No need to be embarassed! It could be just your body's response to it. I know for my aunt if she gets nervous, she has loose stools. (IBS) So it could just be some kind of reaction like that.

I wouldn't know about the loose stools, I'm on medication that slows my intestinal tract down, however, I do tend to have bowel movements during clusters. It's not fun in the least.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 12:11am

I don't get the loose stool, but during an attack it's almost like my body feels like a good dump might get rid of the head ache, sometimes I REALLY have to go....during an attack!

That (not at all embarrasing) question having been dealt with, what else do you have? Do you have oxygen yet? The most effective with least side effect med in my arsenal. Do you have any other prevents? Imitrix either injectable or nasal? Has he considered putting you on a short prednisone taper for the 10 days to 2 weeks it'll take the verapamil to kick in? Have you tried the energy drinks for relief from the attacks? Some can abort or at least substantially reduce an attack by chugging down an energy drink at the first sign of an attack.

Welcome to the board, keep firing away with the questions, knowledge is power! Wink

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 12:22am

Nope, not a dumb question.

I do not get loose stools during the cycle (which is always, since I am chronic).  

BUT, on this same note, I often wondered if a hit encourages a bowel movement.  It seems that most of my evacuations are during a hit (I hide, and sit on the toilet a lot, while I am getting hit).

See, Guiseppi, you are not THAT strange ... Well, maybe you are ..

Ok, enough of this shitty subject mater ...

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 12:25am

here we go-

verap does not cause constipation in me but rather the opposite- go all the time  and alot, and I mean ALOT, amazing actually , but not loose-

Kelly

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 12:57am

You are new here Kathleen....or else you would never have thought of this as an embarassing question at all.   

You would be so surprised at the subjects that are discussed here.  Roll Eyes

Chronic 21 years.  That problem has never bothered me.  It may be certain meds you are on or something entirely different...

keep asking questions...we're here to answer

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 1:34am

No, not a stupid question at all.

But no--haven't noticed the digestive thing, but the magnesium supplements I take will certainly loosen thing up, all right--particularly when I increase them to 500 mg. during a cycle.

Cold, yes.  After a hit is over, I'm freezing.  During a hit, I sweat like a fountain.  Gotta love the hypothalamus.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Kirk
CH.com Alumnus

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

Harts Lake, WA
Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 3:33am

During an attack I often sweat like a stuck hog. But afterwards I feel like I'm in a ice box sometimes. Although usually the endorphins are running around making me feel pretty mellow.
  By the way, welcome to the maelstrom. No such thing as a dumb question here in Chuck's nut house.
   Atleast thats who I'm blaming it on today. Feel priviliged Chucky.

Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
kirkevrrt 161860987 kirk_jones511 2607+395th+St+CT+S  
IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 7:28am

Been a while since really trying to understand seretonin but I think it is stored in the gut and blood vessles.  Could be a connection between a BM and 5HT release and a CH hit.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 9:19am

Kathleen,
It's not a stupid question. In fact, that has happened to me pretty consistantly during my CH episodes.  I don't take any prescription preventatives which might interfere with that "side effect".  And it usually happens on any CH hit at a pain level 4 or above for me.

Two years ago I emailed Professor Goadsby about just this subject. I had read an abstract of his regarding a neuropeptide (VIP) which not only affects gastrointestinal activity, but also influences our circadian pacemaker in our hypothalamus.  Goadsby found that we have elevated levels of this neurotransmitter during attacks.  He was kind enought to email me back and said that this intestinal reaction isn't real common, but it's certainly not unheard of either.

The fluctuations of all these brain chemicals in our hypothalamus can really mess up the regulation of our body temperatures, so I think that going from hot to cold is fairly common.
Here's a link to Goadsby's abstract:

I'm guessing that your intestinal side effects are directly related to your CH activity, especially if you're seeing it happening consistantly during the beginning of an attack, as I do.
Patti
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2008 at 9:48am by pattik »  

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 9:59am

Two years ago I emailed Professor Goadsby about just this subject. I had read an abstract of his regarding a neuropeptide (VIP) which not only affects gastrointestinal activity, but also influences our circadian pacemaker in our hypothalamus.  Goadsby found that we have elevated levels of this neurotransmitter during attacks.  He was kind enought to email me back

Just one reason he is rapidly attaining "saint" status on this board...

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #13 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 11:38am

Mrs Wo, I will admit I get a cold hand during my entire cycle especially at work.  My cycle ended last week and I usually had a hit around 6-8am every morning and one through the night.  During those morning hits at work my right hand espcially was ice cold.  
I never thought anything of it till you mentioned it.
Bizarre if  you ask me.  
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2008 at 11:41am by Chad »  

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 1:57pm

Guiseppi wrote on Aug 19th, 2008 at 9:59am:
Two years ago I emailed Professor Goadsby about just this subject. I had read an abstract of his regarding a neuropeptide (VIP) which not only affects gastrointestinal activity, but also influences our circadian pacemaker in our hypothalamus.  Goadsby found that we have elevated levels of this neurotransmitter during attacks.  He was kind enought to email me back

Just one reason he is rapidly attaining "saint" status on this board...

Guiseppi

Attaining?

Try to keep up, boy.

IP Logged

Mrs Wo
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Wichita Kansas
Reply #15 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 2:37pm

Thank you guys for helping me feel so welcome here.   Cool

I don't have O2 yet, have tried all the triptan stuff in the past to no avail, worked 1 out of 10 times if I was lucky. I take topamax, verap and magnesium.  Just got the verap last week.

I believe I hindered my GP for years because I refused to be a guinea pig any more.  I was tired of trying shit that just didn't work and I ended up in the ER all the time.  I have finally given in and am willing to do whatever he wants.  I was put on the topamax last year and it was great for a while and then once again, doesn't seem to be helping!  It is frustrating!  Sorry, I am shadowing right now and had a bad night.  I'm afraid I have become chronic because of my unwillingness to continue trying therapies in the past.  I didn't even know about CH, I thought it was just migraines and that they would one day go away!

Your support and responses here have meant a lot to me. I will continue to read all that I can and ask questions as they come up. You guys are great and I am glad to be a part of the "family".

Kathleen
Wichita, Kansas

IP Logged

Jennifer
CH.com Alumnus

Supply, VA
Reply #16 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 2:44pm

Hi Mrs. Wo,

Constipation was a prob for me when I was on the verap, but I wanted to address the cold issue.

Every time I was on verapamil, I was constantly cold and felt that I could never get warm enough. That was definitely a side effect from the med, and not from the hit or the cycle.

Welcome to the board and keep asking questions!

Hugs,
Jen

WWW Jennifer Whitty Donald Yennyfur_D  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #17 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 3:05pm

Hey Kathleen.  This is actually a really good question.

In addition to all my other abnormalities I suffer from IBS.  I also experience bowel activity just prior to or during an attack.  I always felt that moving my bowels had a small but positive effect on my pain level.

Fortunately Verapamil is one drug that positively affects both my CH and my IBS.

Bob P is right in his observation.  The bowel is the largest store of seretonin outside the brain.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #18 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 4:11pm

Ok, this may be "out there", but it's worth a shot.  Do you have IBS? (irritable bowel syndrome), because one of the things that can aggrivate it a lot is extreme anxiety and stress.  CH's can definately fall under that catagory.  Anyway, try taking Acidophilis (it's a vitamin), which can help regulate IBS. 

When under duress, one of the first problems I have is loose stools.  I take 2 acidophilis and I'm good to go for the day (literally, lol).

Take care,
mel

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

ReeseC
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

San Francisco
Reply #19 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 6:52pm

Mrs Wo wrote on Aug 19th, 2008 at 2:37pm:
  I'm afraid I have become chronic because of my unwillingness to continue trying therapies in the past. 

I don't think being chronic or episodic has anything to do with whether you're trying out therapies.  My understanding is that there's an unknown underlying cause that makes our brain arteries dilate, and gives us the pain.  The therapies merely try to counteract the arterial dilation.  None of the therapies "cure" the mysterious underlying cause.

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 9:56am

for me I have IBS too. there is something to be said for anxiety and stress to kick things off. if its real bad and disruptive i have that otc immodium does a great job.

IP Logged

angela.lambert
CH.com Veteran

Support Alaska Commercial
Fisherman

petersburg,alaska
Reply #21 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 5:24pm

When I have an attack, I also get extremely cold.  I feel as if I am wrapped in frozen blanket.  When I start coming down from an attack, I jump into a hot steamy shower.  It helps to warm me up, but I still feel the chill. 

As for the stool part, I don't notice anything different at that end. 

angela

The Beast, the Beast, the Beast is on Fire!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=15  
IP Logged

cynthia_in_nh
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #22 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 3:12pm

Just to add my two cents worth....

When I was a teen I had extraordinarily bad menstrual cramps -- always accompanied by extreme cold and very loose voluminous stools (and vomiting) until the pain subsided.

Also, when I was a teen I had migrains -- also accompanied by extreme cold and very loose stools and vomiting.

As an adult, when I'm under severe stress I tend to get very cold and lightheaded and I'll look around for a bathroom.

My theory:  This is my unconscious reaction to extreme pain or fear or stress.

Cynthia

IP Logged

ninja mom
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #23 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 5:06pm

I've been on verap for years now-loose stools are not a problem-however I have noticed during the 28 years of CH that I have to pee really bad after each CH.  Weird. 
Also, I'm a world class sweater before and during hits (have had total strangers just watch me sweat in amazement  Tongue ) after I ususally get chilled for a few minutes.  Of course, we regularly have 100 plus degrees during the summer, so sweating would not be really that strange.  Except for the sheer volume and quickness-from zero to drenched in 60 seconds.
Wanted: one hypothalumus-in good repair and functioning within the normal range.  Probably the wrong place to advertise for this one. Huh

pfdan y'all
kathy

Words count, chose carefully.

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 5:55pm

Well, when I inject DHE it is a given that I will be quite regular for several days.

Are you taking anything else that could cause the runs?

My face gets hot 10 minutes before an attack and the nerve starts twitching (no flushing).
Then the eye and nose start running on the left side. I’m usually already at the O2 before this point if I’m at home and save myself from it getting that bad.

Try to get an O2 rig that can deliver as much as you can take and the hit will usually abort in 10 minuets or stop getting worse anyway. I find 25 lpm is about perfect and you will need some M size tanks for this flow rate.

If you need help with O2, there are many of us on this site willing to help you out with proper mask and regulator info.

Roland. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!