Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No clusters since I started working out! (Read 1588 times)
bitsmaker
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

No clusters since I started working out!
Aug 19th, 2008 at 11:49am

Hello all!

I recently had my bout with cluster headaches that lasted almost six weeks. Initially I tried medications like Frova and it would get rid of my current headache but I would get another one the next day. I used to get them everyday.

The day I started weight training, I felt a little bit doozy in the evening and I had a very very minor headache that evening (on a scale of 1 to 10 if the normal headache  was 100, then this one was a 0.01). No headache the next day. I went back to the gym and did cardio as hard as I could. No headache the next day and so on and so forth till I stayed up late one night (11pm vs 9pm)to watch Phelps win his 8th medal.

Next day I started to get the headache three times and each time I paced around the house briskly for 20 mins and it went away. I realized that I had disrupted my usual sleep pattern (9pm - 6am) the previous day and hence the headache. Next day went back to the gym and did weight training and today no headache.

In conclusion, I think my headaches are triggered  by sleep pattern disruptions and lack of sleep. The twice a week weight training combined with cardio on the remaining days helps me sleep better and no headaches.

PS Headaches triggering after watching Phelps win was worth it Grin

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: No clusters since I started working out!
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 1:02pm

That's awesome news, tempered with a little bit of caution. The unpredicatbility of CH makes cause and affect very difficult to determine. I've been able to reduce a hit some with intense cardio, but have never broken a cycle with it. In the early days of my CH, I sincerely believed I broke a cycle by not using q-tips in that side ear any more, another time by giving up coffee, and those aren't even the most bizarre of my early conclusions!! Wink

I say all this not to "poop on your parade".....I sincerely hope the workout routine keeps em at bay. History has taught me otherwise so I'd definitely want to keep my meds at the ready in case he finds your address again.

Wishing you a lifetime of remission!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 1:11pm

My old internist suggested exercise (decades ago when there were no med options) and a few folks have found it effective. Suggests that you may find using oxygen as an abortive would be effective: something to read about and discuss with your doc.

You don't mention using a preventive med, only an abortive. Print one of these lists of treatments and discuss options with your doc.
------------

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2008 at 1:12pm by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

bitsmaker
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 1:23pm

I have made a lot of bizarre conclusions initially as well. This one seems more entrenched in reality than the other ones. And yes, I have not trashed my meds yet, but someday... Smiley

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 6:59pm

And yes, I have not trashed my meds yet, but someday

And that's one of the things I love about CH'ers, next to Padre fans, they are the most optimistic people on the planet!!! Wink

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 8:30pm

bitsmaker wrote on Aug 19th, 2008 at 1:23pm:
I have made a lot of bizarre conclusions initially as well. )

and there will be several. thats what i love about this site. it gives you the chance to compare triggers  abortives. even in high cycle i don't get hit when i'm working outside tying down a load or chopping wood. when the weather is cold the fumes from my chainsaw won't set off an attack. thanks for posting your experience.
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2008 at 8:31pm by -johnny- »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!