Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to the boards (Read 1289 times)
ClusterSufferer
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

New to the boards
Aug 19th, 2008 at 11:46pm

Hi all, I'm a 37 yo. male that has been suffering from cluster headaches since i was 25. I was first diagnosed with clusters around 30 yo. I have not until recently searched for a cause or cure on my own, although I have tried to find preventative measures and ways of coping when an attack comes, on my own throughout the years.

I ran into this site a couple of years ago in a desperate attempt to find some solution to my problem. From what I read on the clusterheadaches.com website 1 out of 1000 people suffer from clusters, with 301 million people in the US alone thats 301 thousand people suffering from clusters, ?!?!? 301 thousand people??? ...why is there no cure or even a diagnosed reason for what is the cause of cluster headaches?

When I was diagnosed, I was told usually men from 30 to 40, with masculine features and hazel eyes are more likely to develop clusters? Why? Perhaps I didn't read enough of the website here to find answers I am looking for, and perhaps the answers are not there.

Is there something that we all have in common that links us together to cluster headaches? There could be, there may not be ...does anyone know? Is it a geographical region? Living close to military installations? Living near power plants? High elevations low elevations? Have we all suffered from head injuries? Do we all suffer from anxiety or panic attacks? Do we have low blood oxygen levels?Are we all just so smart that our skulls cant hold the massive brains we have <--Humor. There has to be something?

I will share my life in a nutshell, of anything I could see causing my clusters and then again none of these things may have anything to do with it at all.

When I was 4 yo I was hit by a vehicle which cause a fractured skull, when I was 17 i was joining the army and was delayed for testing for 6 months and had cat scans and all the latest scans at the president's hospital (Bethesda Navy Hospital) to see if there were any problems with my head from the fracture ...everything came out fine. When I was 18 I developed a form of social anxiety and panic attacks that I still deal with until this day, drug treatment never seemed to help with this. At 25 I started having clusters, at the time I was trying hard to think of what I could have done or what could have happened recent to then that could be giving me a headaches. Three things that I could think of: 1) I was hit from behind in a car accident and probably had a slight form of whiplash. 2) Had a wisdom tooth pulled, which at the time felt like the dentist broke my jaw bone getting it out. and 3) Had a piece of metal fall in my ear while changing a transmission out of a car i was working on.

Considering that there are few people that have a piece of rust fall in their ear I doubt its the third. I have noticed within the past 3 years I have been getting clusters in the fall, from mid October to mid December. This year it started earlier, august. I thought It may be from eating microwaved food So I stopped for a year until the clusters came back. Try doing that in todays world for a year!

I do smoke a pack, a pack and a half a day and I do drink alcohol, usually beer. I would have to agree with what I have read that smoking and drinking do aggravate and enhance a cluster, but I don't believe they cause them. I can go from January to  August and drink a 6 pack a day and smoke 2 packs of cigarettes and not have any headaches at all. Anyway to quit smoking is as bad as telling a heroin addict to stop shooting up.

My clusters are on my right side, watering eye runny nose and all that good stuff. Its impossible to stay calm and lay down, I usually get hot flashes followed by cold chills and setting up in bed rocking or kneeling with my head on something is about all I can do until it starts subsiding. And you can tell...I can tell 15 minutes before it starts and 15 minutes before it goes away.

Well thanks for reading. A little humor a little wisdom and a little ranting from another cluster sufferer.

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Re: New to the boards
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 12:12am

Hi Clustersuffer-

Welcome to the site.  Hope you get some pain free time -  Sounds like you have been doing some reading.   You'll see many men here that have CH,  AND  many females like myself-  

AHH... what do we all have in common?  The magic question..  I think we all have one feature in common -  a screwed up hypothalmus   Smiley

What meds are you taking?  Are you taking any preventatives like verapamil or topomax or lithium?   How about abortives?  any of the triptans?  do you know about or have oxygen?   Do you have a good doctor- preferably a neurologist.

I ask only because it may help us to get to know you better and understand what info you might need to help you get the right treatment or where to turn.  We definitely want to help  

Not sure if you know the wonders of Red Bull.  Energy drinks that contain at least 1000 mg of taurine ( like red bull) has aborted attacks for many including myself.  Pop one open at the first sign of a hit and chug it down.  

Also for me , when in cycle, I always have a pot of coffee brewing.  I have stopped some HA from ramping up numerous times and knocked out some shadows, simply by chugging 2 cups of very strong black coffee.  ( and yeah , while in cycle,  I am jittery as all get out!)

If you get nighttime hits- you may know this already so forgive me if you do-  many folks take melatonin   anywhere from 6-12 mg taken before bedtime to help avoid the night time hits.  Got me a couple of pain free nights here and there.  You can get that over the counter

Check the buttons on the left and read the medical info and also check out the OUCH website.  There you search for a doctor in your area that is recommended by other CH.  These are the docs who understand CH , understand the treatment , and have the experience.  You're probably not surprised that most docs will lead you down the wrong paths and many folks get unnecessary treatment ( sinus surgeries, teeth pulled, etc)  OUCH site is where I found my gem of a neurologist - got me pain free last cycle!

Anyhow- folks will be along to give you some great advice  - glad you posted and hope you get some rest and pain free times.

Kelly
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2008 at 12:15am by mezza »  

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 12:43am

mezza wrote on Aug 20th, 2008 at 12:12am:
Hi Clustersuffer-

Welcome to the site.  Hope you get some pain free time -  Sounds like you have been doing some reading.   You'll see many men here that have CH,  AND  many females like myself-  

AHH... what do we all have in common?  The magic question..  I think we all have one feature in common -  a screwed up hypothalmus   Smiley

What meds are you taking?  Are you taking any preventatives like verapamil or topomax or lithium?   How about abortives?  any of the triptans?  do you know about or have oxygen?   Do you have a good doctor- preferably a neurologist.

I ask only because it may help us to get to know you better and understand what info you might need to help you get the right treatment or where to turn.  We definitely want to help  

Not sure if you know the wonders of Red Bull.  Energy drinks that contain at least 1000 mg of taurine ( like red bull) has aborted attacks for many including myself.  Pop one open at the first sign of a hit and chug it down.  

Also for me , when in cycle, I always have a pot of coffee brewing.  I have stopped some HA from ramping up numerous times and knocked out some shadows, simply by chugging 2 cups of very strong black coffee.  ( and yeah , while in cycle,  I am jittery as all get out!)

If you get nighttime hits- you may know this already so forgive me if you do-  many folks take melatonin   anywhere from 6-12 mg taken before bedtime to help avoid the night time hits.  Got me a couple of pain free nights here and there.  You can get that over the counter

Check the buttons on the left and read the medical info and also check out the OUCH website.  There you search for a doctor in your area that is recommended by other CH.  These are the docs who understand CH , understand the treatment , and have the experience.  You're probably not surprised that most docs will lead you down the wrong paths and many folks get unnecessary treatment ( sinus surgeries, teeth pulled, etc)  OUCH site is where I found my gem of a neurologist - got me pain free last cycle!

Anyhow- folks will be along to give you some great advice  - glad you posted and hope you get some rest and pain free times.

Kelly

Hell of a post.

Potter

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 7:11am

Welcome Clustersuffer!

I'm new here too.  I wanted to say the I had 3 concussions in soccer in my teens and I always use to blame these CH on that.  That was before I was diagnosed with CH, however I think one of the doctors said there is no link of head trauma and CH.  I'm still not sure of that to this day.

I get clusters on my right side also, however my cycles are shorter than most.  I usually have 2-3 week cycles twice a year or about every 6-8 months.

As far as the drinking and smoking goes, you're right you won't get a headache out of cycle.  I usually drink a couple beers after work and on the weekends, many more especially microbrews and heavier beers that contain more alcohol.  What i'm getting at is that you should not drink during the cycle.  Out of cycle, pound them, LOL!
I don't drink or smoke my cigars during the cycle.  I don't smoke many cigars anyway.  I did smoke cigarettes 3 1/2 years ago and since I have quit, my cycles have been reduced from 7 weeks to 2-3 weeks and the remission time is longer.  I'm not saying the smoking is what changed that, but it did something.  I also haven't had a sinus infections since.  Just thought I would toss that out there.  If you're in remission though, i'll toast to that  Smiley

My last cycle ended last Friday night.  I made dinner for the wife and had red wine and after dinner we tasted different chocolates with the wine to sample the different after tastes.  Needless to say, the wine and chocolate are usual triggers and after that, I didn't get a CH.  I knew then I was in remission.  It was a daring test, but it worked.

« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2008 at 7:27am by Chad »  

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 9:09am

Please see my reply to "worst pain ever" in this section.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 9:46am

Welcome to Clusterville...

What do we have in common?  We all hurt like hell.... that's about the only thing we've come up with in the 10 years this board has been here.  I think it's the barometer, but that's just my opinion. I live in East Texas and the barometer goes up and down at will -- I blame everything on it. But I'm OLD!!!

Glad you found us, but sorry you needed to. Stick around - tell us about yourself. What you're taking, where you're from - we're a nosey bunch of people. But when you get to know us you'll find out that we DO CARE - that's why we ask all kinds of nosey questions.

We joke about our condition - to keep from screaming... I'm chronic and have been for so many years I don't even know what it's like NOT to have a CH... there's a bunch of us like that on this board -- and we DO UNDERSTAND where you're coming from. If we pop a wisecrack at ya -- we're just trying to cheer ya up, so take it with a grain of salt and pop one back... we're used to being insulted Smiley.

Again welcome to the funny farm.  Best place to be with CH...

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!