Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cranky from Stadol (Read 3702 times)
Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Cranky from Stadol
Aug 23rd, 2008 at 2:28am

Okay, so until I can get my oxygen, I was given stadol to help with the pain.

Problem is, it makes me cranky as hell! Will this wear off with time?

(Yeah, I'm on preventatives, I have nothing that can abort it because triptans and ergots will kill me, small vessel disease of the brain + complicated migraines.)

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Re: Cranky from Stadol
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 2:53am

I have never taken stadol, but I can relate to the cranky part.  This too shall pass.

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 7:25am

Quote:
I have never taken stadol, but I can relate to the cranky part.  This too shall pass.

I hope so... My family already has enough to deal with, my cat died Thursday, and so we're all upset over that, I really don't want this making it worse for them, but I also don't want to end up at the ER again suidical from the pain.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 10:12am

Cry I am so sorry to hear about you cat Pixie.  I lost my dog recently and I know what you are going through.

Alot of people drink an energy drink at the first sign of a ch.  If you can't do that look at the water x3 link to the right.  Ice on the ch side of the head and behind the neck also can help.  I make my own ice packs out of water and rubbing alcohol doubled up in freezer bags.

Keep reading everything you can on this site.  We are always here and we do understand your pain.

Take care,
Beth

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 10:45am

Ask your doc if you can try this. Has been most effective for several of us, works quickly, low cost per dose.
========
Headache 2001 Sep;41(8):813-6 

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. The initial olanzapine dose was 5 mg, and the dose was increased to 10 mg if there was no pain relief. The dosage was decreased to 2.5 mg if the 5-mg dose was effective but caused adverse effects. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and two patients became headache-free after taking the drug. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. It alleviates pain quickly and has a consistent response across multiple treated attacks. It appears to work in both episodic and chronic cluster headache.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 5:41pm

Pixie-elf wrote on Aug 23rd, 2008 at 2:28am:
Okay, so until I can get my oxygen, I was given stadol to help with the pain.

Problem is, it makes me cranky as hell! Will this wear off with time?

(Yeah, I'm on preventatives, I have nothing that can abort it because triptans and ergots will kill me, small vessel disease of the brain + complicated migraines.)

Yes, Stadol will make you almost as cranky as being on prednisone. However, it doesn't last as long. Try the energy drinks, and don't take it unless you have to. I used to use it, although it didn't help my CH pain. I'd lie there like a zombie, still in pain, but couldn't move.

Olanzapine works great, I use 5 mg, and it will abort a hit in 5 to 10 min. It has an affect of making you a bit sleepy, but it does wonders for killing the hits.

Good luck, and try to be nice Wink.

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 8:18pm

I took stadol for awhile years ago.  It would knock me out and put in into a daze.  No grumpies for me I was to tired to care about anything.  I would also suggest trying the zyprexa.  It didn't help me but I have seen some positive info on it.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 8:26pm

i  have good knowledge of alot rx's.
stadol injectable is real good at helping for some, and it helps me but no cranky side affects.
stadol is a non-narcotic super charged anti-inflammtory, the reason it works is during a hit there is alot of inflammation going on.
stadol tablets are slow and not nearlyas affective as the injectable.

IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 8:41pm

STADOL  ®
(butorphanol tartrate) Nasal Spray

DRUG DESCRIPTION
Butorphanol tartrate is a synthetically derived opioid agonist-antagonist analgesic of the phenanthrene series.

I do believe this means it IS a narcotic.

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 8:51pm

Karl, I hate to tell you this, but Stadol IS a narcotic, I used it for years. Started using it for migraine, then when the CH started, I used it fr that.

It is very addicting, and you don't even know it, although I never had a problem with it. The literature that was included with the nasal spray used to say it was non-addicting- that was one of the good things about it, and then later they found out it was addicting, and faster than other narcotics. Not to say anyone who uses it is an addict, but your body can become dependent on it, and you don't know until you stop taking it.

2 mg of Stadol is equal to 10 mg of morphine. Where did you hear that it is an anti-inflammatory?

edited to include link:
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2008 at 9:04pm by purpleydog »  

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 6:46pm

you are right everyone, i misread the original post i thought it said tordal not stadol.
i peronnly used stadol nasal and it worked well but yea the side affects are nasty. I also got addicted to it along with the other narcs i was on. me i don't touch anything if its a narc.
stadol is a synthetic morphine. tordal is a supercharged anti inflammatory and does help to abort if used in combo with something else.

sorry i guess i better get the glasses my wife has nagged on me to get.

IP Logged

StressFree
CH.com Veteran

James4:8 I'm a moral failure,
but there is hope...

Ridgecrest, California
Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 1:39am

I was able to use Stadol nasal spray when it first came out. It has unpleasant side effects which is why initially they said it wasn't addictive, though many times "stronger" than morphine. In my case, it caused an odd dreamlike yet partially awake state with memories rolling through my mind. With all of this a rather "icky" feeling and often still having a very high kip level attack continuing even though being semi-consious. I left some of this med in my refrigerator for about 5 years until I had another cycle. This time it aborted every hit, though I only used it everyother day alternating with Maxalt. Also, it had changed over time into what I would guess is more of a morphine type of drug. It not only aborted the headache, but caused a quite pleasant sensation for several hours after taking it. I hope I never need it again, but I would gladly add it to my arsenal when there is a need. Another drug that I believe helped ward off cycles in my case was Meprobamate (Equanil) which is a mild anit-anxiety agent. Similar I believe to Soma, which is more of a muscle relaxant. Anyway, I would take this at fairly mild doses (not enough to notice side effects) and the cycle would never ramp up into full blown attacks. I haven't had to take this in recent years either, but I think it did help in times past. As to the Stadol I wouldn't take more than the recommended dosages, as it seemed to effect ability to remember to breath...
Best wishes, Rich

IP Logged

gore2424
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 10:49am

Stadol was the only drug I took myself off of I was using almost 1 bottle a week when it should of lasted a month when first got bottle I would put in 1/2 water so I could use it more I enjoyed the high too much when at work mostly I would lie to get it more than I should of (someone stole it,broke bottle, etc) so I reiliezed I had a problem and took myself off of it Terry

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 1:58pm

Well, due ot Gustav mucking things up, I still don't have my oxygen or know when I'll be getting it.

The crankiness comes and goes from the Stadol, they're watching me carefully, but it doesn't make me 'high'.  Addiction and dependance scare the crap out of me. (Even though I know all about them from pain management...) If I started to notice I was enjoying it, I'd quit.

I drink energy drinks, I do the water x3 and only use the Stadol for a severe hit. The Zyprexa may not be an option for me, as they're very reluctant to try me on new medicine due to the long medicine list, and due to my histamine intolerance. (50+ drug allergies tends to freak doctors out.)

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!