Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
OXYGEN terms explained (Read 41114 times)
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
OXYGEN terms explained
Aug 23rd, 2008 at 2:31pm

OK, some newbies seem to be having trouble with some of the terms that us old farts use.  Let me try to explain what they are:

Flow Rate:  This is the term used to describe how fast, or how much oxygen is delivered to the mask.  It is rated in “LPM” which means Liter(s) Per Minute.  We need a flow rate of at least 15 LPM.  The flow rate is controlled by the regulator, not the tank or mask.  

Cylinder/tank/bottle:  This is the container that the oxygen comes in.  There are many sizes.  The most common are the "E" tank and the "M" tank.  The "E" tank is the one we use to cart around with us.  It is about 30" tall, 4 1/2" in diameter, and weighs about 8 pounds.  The "M" tank is WAY to big to cart around, but is the one we keep in our house, for the home hits.  It is about 4' tall, 7" in diameter and weighs about 70 pounds.  The two tanks I have mentioned are just two of many sizes, but they are two different types of regulator hook ups, that I will get into later.

You need a doctor's prescription to get medical grade oxygen from a supplier, and have your insurance pay for it.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
The three tall tanks, are “M: tanks, the short one is an “E” tank

Regulator:  This is a device that you connect to your oxygen tank, and then you connect your hose (to your mask).  This is the device that controls the flow rate.  For our use, we want a regulator that can go to AT LEAST 15 LPM, higher is actually better, but 15 LPM is a must!  You do NOT need a prescription in order to buy a regulator.  They can be found on the net, and most of us buy them from eBay.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
The green regulator is for the “E” tank, and the silver one is for the “M” tank.  On the green “E” tank regulator, notice the plastic wrench that I have attached with a piece of chain, that is used to turn the tank on and off.

On the top of each tank there is a stem, or valve, to which you connect your regulator, AND for turning the flow on or off.
“E” tank stem/valve

“M” tank stem/valve

Regulator Types:  There are many, MANY different styles and types of regulators.  What we clusterheads are interested in are the ones that have a flow rate of at least 15 LPM.  We also need to know what type of tank it is to go on.  From the pictures above, you can see that there is a big difference in the means to connect the regulator to the tank.
“E” tank yolk on the regulator (Hand connection – no tools required)

“M” tank sleeve, or nut to connect to the tank. (Wrench needed)

Non-rebreathing Mask:  This is a mask that fits over your mouth and nose, with a bag attached to collect the oxygen for the next inhalation.  There are little valves that prevent the exhaled air from getting into the bag.  There are also little valves on the outside of the mask that allows the exhaled air to vent, yet closing during an inhalation.
Standard non-rebreathing mask  (VERY inexpensive)

Notice the little round white disks on the side of the mask.  These control the exhaled air, and the outside air.  If there is not one on each side, either tape over the other one, or (as I do) place your thumb over the holes, during an inhalation, and then remove the thumb during an exhalation.  If these valves are not present, or in good flexible condition, you will not get the full 100% oxygen that is required.

If you are male, and have facial hair, you may have trouble getting a full seal around the mask.  You may want to just remove the mask, itself, and breathe straight from the plastic valve mechanism.

You may have also heard of a “Demand Valve” system.  This is a totally different system, that is QUITE expensive to get.  It cost anywhere from $300.00 to $800.00 (USD).  Although it is up there in price, to those of us that use them (myself included), we swear by them.   They are the Rolls Royce of systems.  To me, they are worth every penny they cost.  I do not recommend that you buy one of these to start with.  Get the less expensive, and easier to find non-rebreathing mask set up, to see how it will fit in your lifestyle, and if it is going to work for you.

On that note, of it working for you, I am of the school of thought that it will work for 99.9% of the users.  Those that say it does not work for them, are doing one (or more) of the following things wrong:
-      Wrong method or usages
-      Wrong delivery method
-      Wrong flow rate
-      Improper or defective equipment

Demand valve mask, hose, and regulator

Demand valve and mask

I hope this has answered some of the questions about the terms that we use.  Please do not be afraid to ask more, if I have not covered all of them.

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Re: OXYGEN terms explained
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 2:47pm

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 12:53pm

Bump.............good one Chuck.
thebb

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 8:36pm

Quote:
Bump.............good one Chuck.
thebb

Great picture!  It brings to mind two more terms that we use: a bubbler/moisturizer and a mouth piece.

Bubbler/moiturizer:  This is a plastic bottle (usually) that is installed at the output of your regulator, that you attach the hose going to your mask.  You fill it with an inch or two of water.  This adds a moisture vapor to the oxygen that you breath in.  Many people complain that their mouth and or nostrils get dry, while sucking oxygen.   The bubbler prevents that from happening.

Mouth Piece:  Some cannot get a good seal around the mask, or just do not like having the mask on their face.  They use the mouth piece, and just breath in through their mouth.  The setup shown in this picture has an extension, and then the mouth piece at the end of it.  It works great.  Before I switched to the demand valve system, the mouth piece was my preferred method of sucking on oxygen.

Any other terms I have forgotten?

Chuck
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2008 at 8:38pm by ClusterChuck »  

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 7:12pm

Great pix and discussion, Chuck. I've tried to attach a couple of my welder's tank and regulator just for comparison, but somehow can't seem to get them to attach. Oh well.

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 12:03pm

This got a sticky!!  Good Deal!

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 3:55pm

Oxygen concentrator.......Didn't work for me.
all  the best
thebb
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2008 at 3:57pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 7:14pm

Quote:
Oxygen concentrator.......Didn't work for me.

AH!  Another great term to explain!  Thanks for bringing it up!

Ok, a concentrator ... It is also called a "machine"  or "Oxygen generator"  ... Whatever it is called, it does not work for most of us.

The concentrator takes normal room air, and then purifies it so that it is mostly oxygen that it generates.  You do not have to refill any tanks, or any of those "hassles" ...  Sounds great, huh?  It would be if it worked.  

The key words to what I described is "mostly oxygen".  It starts out at producing about 75 to 80% oxygen, and then after it warms up, it could get as high as 95% oxygen.  Most machines can only produce about 7 LPM of "mostly oxygen".

There are two important reasons that the concentrator is not for us.  We need 100% oxygen, at a minimum of 15 LPM.

Now, I WILL admit, there are a few, who can sometimes get results from this, but not fast enough, and no where near as regularly as with the bottled oxygen.  If your doctor or supplier trys to tell you it is just as good, don't believe them.  Get the bottled oxygen.

Chuck

ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 8:50pm

Cool

IP Logged

el-ny
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|brooklyn|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #9 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:16am

Hi Guys..what is the actual term or name for the moisturizer/bubbler.. Im trying to find it online and dont know what to look up. Thanks for any help.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 1:38pm

Try humidifier?.
thebb

IP Logged

el-ny
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 2:38pm

Just got one from my oxygen supply company.. sweeeeeet.
thanks.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 7:17pm

Try some ice in it...now that is cool.
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 12:16am

Here is another term, home refill

Thanks Chuck, Bill, and, Sharkboy
the bb

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Reply #14 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 3:44am

I have been asked where to buy the equipment needed for the oxygen therapy.  There are many places to find them.  You can do a Google search and find anything that you want.  Or, you can go on eBay, and hope for the best.  Be careful, when buying off eBay that you know what you are bidding on/buying.  I was looking at a regulator, on eBay, that I was not familiar with, so I did a Google search, and found out that the regulator on sale, was one that had been recalled by the manufacturer, due to the possibility of exploding, and causing a fire.  This is one of the chances that you take.

I have bought from eBay, and from sites I have found due to an internet search.  I have had good and bad results from each.  The most important thing is to know the equipment that you are buying.  Know the manufacturer, or at least the vendor.  Know the model you are interested in.  It may require a lot of Google searching, but you can find out this information.

Possibly the quickest, easiest and safest route is to buy directly from Life Gas (Linde) at the link provided at the tab on the left side of your screen.  (And, in answer to your question, NO, I am not on Life Gas’s payroll, nor do I own stock in them, nor am I receiving any sort of compensation from them.)  I have bought some things from them, and looked at, and touched (yes, I am a touch and feel sort of buyer) the other items that they have, and they are all top notch.  And, thanks to Life Gas, I have some pictures where I can explain the options available.

First, I am sure that you have heard us talk about using a non-rebreather mask.  The one that Life Gas offers is the best on the market.  Their O2PTMASKTM is the best you can find, unless you go out and buy the individual components yourself, and assemble it:

There are several different masks that you can get, and they are also of different sizes:
The blue masks are more expensive, but they are more rugged, and can take a lot more abuse than the other masks.

Some people do not like having the mask over their face, so they use the mouthpiece:
If you notice in the above picture, there are arrows on the little yellow strips around the “T” valve assembly.  It is important that you assemble the equipment the way it is shown in that picture, whether you use the mask or the mouthpiece, the arrows MUST be pointed in the way they are shown.

You have heard us talk about getting a regulator that goes to AT LEAST 15 LPM, but higher is better.  Life Gas is presently offering two regulators that go up to 25 LPM.  They may offer more, in the future, once they pass the rigorous testing and approval processes.

One is with the CGA870 connector that you would use on an “E” or “D” tank:

The other one has the CGA540 connector for the larger “M”, “H”, or “T” tanks:

If you notice, both regulators have the nipple for your O2PTMASKTM or non-rebreather mask hose to connect to, and they also have two DISS fittings, so that if now, or in the future want to step up to the Demand Valve System, they would connect there.  Only one is needed, but they offer two, and that is good.  With the two fittings available, you and your buddy could each hook up, with your own masks, at the same time.  Another advantage to them, is if one of them gets banged up and the threads destroyed, you can switch over and use the other DISS fitting, instead.

Now, talking about the Demand Valve System, here are some options that are available to you.  Remember, the Demand Valve System is considerably more expensive than the O2PTMASKTM or plain non-rebreather mask, but for many of us, it is well worth the cost.  If you are just starting out on oxygen therapy, I would not recommend that you go the expense of the Demand Valve System, first off.  Try the O2PTMASKTM.  That may be all you need.  If the oxygen treatment is working for you, but you would like a faster abort time, then you might think about the Demand Valve System.

This is the Demand Valve, hose and mask:

Here is the system hooked up to the DISS fitting on an “E” (or “D”) tank:

This shows the option of replacing the mask with just the mouthpiece, that some prefer:

Or, you may wish to go with the mouthpiece, with the “T” valve fitting:
The advantage of the “T” valve fitting is that you can inhale and exhale through the mouthpiece.  If you just put the mouthpiece directly to the Demand Valve, you have to exhale through your nose, or the side of your mouth, or take the unit out of your mouth to exhale.  It is all in personal preference.

Another option that you can get is the 25’ extension hose, for the Demand Valve System, if you are a pacer, like I am:

I hope the above gives you a better understanding of what is available, and what options you might want to use.

Good luck in your oxygen therapy!

Chuck

« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2008 at 3:53am by ClusterChuck »  

ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Louise Barham
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Columbia, South Carolina
Reply #15 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 2:58pm

Thank you, SOOOOO much for the info.  Adam just recently got O2 but does not have the mask that I think would make a difference.  He only has the nostril tubing. Any ideas on where I could get a better mask? Undecided

Louise&&Mother of CH son
weezerbarham  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 6:39pm

the bb

IP Logged

el-ny
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 7:29pm

I happen to have the optimask now but dont seem to get my 3 liter bag to fill up quickly enough to have more than 2 straight breaths.any ideas how to correct this. all seals are pretty tight. my reg goes to 15lpm... Embarrassed

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 10:41pm

15 lpm is not allowing enough flow from what you say. 3 liter bag will fill in 5 times in one minute. Get a higher flow regulator..25 lpm. Check tank pressure and flow indicator. I use a 1 liter bag. But I'm short. Wink
all the best
the bb

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #19 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 11:39pm

I use a much larger bag.  I like about 1.5 to 2 gallons.  But I have huge lungs. 

With a 15lpm regulator, you can turn on the O2 and let the large bag fill completely......but it will take quite a while.........so you just sit there in excruciating pain longing to suck on the O2 inside the bag.  But once it finally fills up, then you take your first deep breath and hold it for a few seconds and release slowly.  Breathe slow and deep and the 15lpm might be able to keep up.

Or, you can double your LPM so you can start breathing O2 almost immediately. 

Bottom line is that you probably need a much bigger bag, and then follow one of the 2 steps above.

Hope this helps.
B$

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #20 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 6:03pm

I just love oxygen porn.  You just rock Chuck.

Kinder gentler Potter

IP Logged

RichardN
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1|Crossville|USA,Tn
Reply #21 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 4:45pm

Great thread . . . I'm sure is going a long way in helping the newbies get their 02 rigs set up.

Couple of practical hints:

SAVE & re-use the 0-ring that comes with your regulator for the "E" tanks.  They are rubber-impregnated brass or aluminum 0-rings that seal much easier than the hard gray 0-rings that come with your "E" tank re-fills.  If you get an old tank which has the fitting on the valve scratched up, it can take a lot of torgue  to make a good seal . . . not a problem with the rubberized type.  I've had to replace two . . . and the last time my 02 supplier gave me a zip-lock bag with six in it.
. . . . AND you can save the gray rings for household projects (15 0-rings and a 3" drywall screw make a dandy coathanger . . . I use them to hang my guitars on . . . also use as washers to adhere styrofoam insulation inside my well-house)

If you sleep with a significant other . . . soundproof your cart.  If I'm hit at night, sit up and start huffing, Julia will just roll over and go right back to sleep when she hears me open the valve . . . BUT . . . if I have to dance or roll my cart to the fridge for an icepack/coffee . . . the clanging would wake her.   Would like to hear of others'  suggestions . . .. all I did was use electrical tape on the "corners" where the steel is bent to form the handle on the "E" tank cart . . . about 1/8" thick.  Then I use a foot long piece of vacuum hose and insert it in the back of the tank in the shape of and upside-down "U" . . . it holds the tank secure enough that you can open the valve one-handed, and the upside-down "U" is easy to yank out for a quick tank change . . . and it makes no noise when I start rolling it around.

Be Safe,   PFDANs

Richard

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
lastchantsranch  
IP Logged

kiritz
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #22 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 8:34pm

Hi there,

Does anyone have the exact reference for Goadsby's recent double blind study on Oxygen vs. air?  I'd like to give it to my doctor.  It's pretty conclusive, according to him, and I can't find it on any medical databases.

Thanks!  skiritz@stanford.edu

IP Logged

kiritz
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #23 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 8:34pm

Hi there,

Does anyone have the exact reference for Goadsby's recent double blind study on Oxygen vs. air?  I'd like to give it to my doctor.  It's pretty conclusive, according to him, and I can't find it on any medical databases.

Thanks!  skiritz@stanford.edu

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 2:05pm

This is what I would show my doc.
all the best and try Rozen's published 02 information
the bb

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!