Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
i have a question. (Read 1961 times)
vina
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

lewiston,Idaho
i have a question.
Aug 27th, 2008 at 9:35am

hi everyone, i have question about magnesium.
i saw a book at barnes and noble.com about using magnesium as a treatment for ch.
can anyone tell me about it and how it used Roll Eyes  Questioning

Many Blessings&&Vina

IP Logged

Ernie Moss aka Wishbone
CH.com Junior

Birmingham, AL
Re: i have a question.
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 11:23am

Maybe Batch will see your post and reply, but I believe it involves your PH level and having acid-alkaline balance.  This pertains to the blood and not like in your stomach.  I think if you go to Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register you may find more information which may discuss how magnesuium plays a role in the acid- alkaline balance.  If not it is interesting reading. Wishbone

It don't cost a nickel to be nice and by being so you might just make someone's day.&&Ernie Moss

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 11:28am

Here is some more reading for you.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

all the best
thebb
Hope your feeling better.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 3:47pm

I started using a magnesium and vitamin B-2 supplement on and off cycle about 5 years ago, I firmly believe it has reduced the length and intensity of my cycles. If you do a magnesium supplement, it's important you take a calcium supplement as magnesium will leach calcium from your bod! Others have written similar positive results from a magnesium supplement, certainly worth a shot.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 5:00pm

I use it during every cycle.  If you happen to use verapamil, magnesium can loosen up some of the problems associated with using it.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

vina
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

lewiston,Idaho
Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 4:38am

hi guys. I think Karl is going to look at magn more,and mention it to the doctor in Montana.  I'm up with pain and a fever. there was a new surgery out fot artritis when it grows between your joint. They took a ligament from my arm, drilled 2 holes in thumb intertwined the ligament thew the holes and wraped the rest in a ball and used it as joint . Of course they did carpole tunnel to. with my right hand I had a 1/2 cast and wrap for a week and 1/2, they looked at the stitces and put me in a cast for 3 weeks, then cut that off pulled the stitces,and pulled my thumb streight and push the joint as far as they could and put another cast on for 5 week, I just got out of "PT so they did my other hand. So for those CH,s that have arthritis if you come to Lewiston will put you up. No motel for you.
I watch Karl during the day. I know he,s hurting,but I get his O2 for him, and we just take turns helping each other.
Also another question. has any body ever been de-magnitised. The medical people are recomending it be done for autisum. I'v just been checking mags  out at all the doctors offices,and I sometimes  Wink may come across CHs. All these years it was something never heard of it.
I'll just keep on looking. Sorry I kept going on. It actually got my mind off my pain. If anyone wants to do any research but can't, just let me know, and Id be glad to do it. praying for you.
god bless  Vina

Many Blessings&&Vina

IP Logged

DragonSlayer
CH.com Veteran

That pain is only 1/2
as bad as you think it
is!!!

Minnesota USA
Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 2:25pm

Guiseppi wrote on Aug 27th, 2008 at 3:47pm:
I started using a magnesium and vitamin B-2 supplement on and off cycle about 5 years ago, I firmly believe it has reduced the length and intensity of my cycles. If you do a magnesium supplement, it's important you take a calcium supplement as magnesium will leach calcium from your bod! Others have written similar positive results from a magnesium supplement, certainly worth a shot.

Guiseppi

Yup! What he said.

I have been taking a Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc supplement, 200mg B2, a B complex, and a Multi vitamin for several years.

I detox for a month or 6 weeks from all vitamins over the summer when I'm usually out of cycle.

I also try to keep hydrated by drinking 2-3 liters of water (with a pinch of sea salt) daily.  This also helps with the detoxing.  I probably don't drink that much H2O when out of cycle but I do drink that and more while in cycle.  

Just my theory - If my hypothingy is out of control - I try to keep my bodys chemical balance under control as best as I can.  It seems to be working for me.
YMMV.

PF Vibes 2U all.

« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2008 at 2:31pm by DragonSlayer »  

The exact cause of cluster headaches is unknown, but abnormalities in the hypothalamus likely play a role. Studies have detected increased activity in the hypothalamus during the course of a CH attack

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 11:53pm

vina wrote on Aug 28th, 2008 at 4:38am:
Also another question. has any body ever been de-magnitised. .

. Hi Vina-

Interesting post-  I am not a medical doctor so take my post for what its worth... Undecided
I have worked with  a lot of families over the years that have a child somewhere on the autism spectrum.  Demagnetization is kind of one of those shots in the dark for folks looking for a cure. Now , thats not to say that if I had a child with autism, that I wouldn't have tried it either.    I personally don't know of anyone that has had much success in using that form of treatment .   There are certain kinds of treatment that help some people with autism but will not work with all.  Researchers have looked at immunizations, gluten free, lead etc as being causes or variations to control symptoms,  but to this date noone has found the 'cure' or bottom line as to why.   I am pretty sure that demagnetization won't help CH either

CH is similar in that we don't know what causes our hypothalmus to be screwed up and there is no known cure.   Both can create a lot of heartache and both can create a lot of false hope in terms of treatment- 

You are a great supporter.  I am so sorry that you are under weather right now-  Hang in there and take care of yourself.   Smiley

Kelly

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #8 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 10:46pm

Vina,

Sorry to be so slow in responding...  'Wuz away for a couple days...  I take a combination of calcium and magesium with zinc in a single tablet three times a day and it works for me in reducing the frequency and intensity of my attacks.  The theory behind taking these mineral supplements sounds simple, but as we are all wired differently, the results can and will vary.

I've checked my saliva pH with pH strips three times a day, morning, noon and night, first to establish a daily norm or level (it will vary from day to day) and also as soon as I felt an attack coming on.  I found that my attacks occur when the pH of my saliva is at least 0.5 below the daily norm.  That indicates my system (arterial blood) is more acid than normal when I have a cluster headache attack.  I've also measured my pH following an abort with oxygen therapy and found that the method of therapy I use (enough flow rate to hyperventilate) I can raise the pH of my saliva by 0.5 at the time of abort and five minutes later it's up another 0.25.  That usually raises the pH of my saliva 0.75 above where it was at the start the attack and prior to the start of oxygen therapy.

If you go to the books you'll find the normal arterial pH is 7.4 (7.35 to 7.45) and that the pH of saliva is roughly a half point lower (7.0 to 7.5) but parallels the arterial pH.  

These mineral supplements act as a chemical buffer in neutralizing the acid in the blood stream.  Eating less red meat and cheese, while eating more chicken, fish, and green veggies will also elevate pH.  As a low pH (more acid) acts as a vasodilator, and a low pH makes the cluster headache triggering mechanism more effective, taking these tablets helps shift the pH up (more alkaline) and that serves as a vasoconstrictor... That slows down the cluster headache triggering mechanism and makes it less effective...  

Magnesium and Calcium are alkaline earth metals and like zinc, are essential to all known living organisms so taking them per the directions on the bottle can't hurt you unless you're taking a thyroid medication and may actually help reduce the frequency and intensity of your cluster headache attacks.  Taking them per the directions on the bottle will tend to shift the pH of your arterial blood upward to a slightly more alkaline reading above 7.45.  

That's my story and I'm sticking with it for now unless someone argues me out of it.  Please ask your doctor...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!