Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rather depressed re. progress in CH treatment (Read 2535 times)
pubgirl
CH.com Hall of Famer

The next person who calls
it a migraine eats teeth

x0|London|United_Kingdom||0|0|
Rather depressed re. progress in CH treatment
Aug 30th, 2008 at 8:33pm

I offer my sincere apologies for not being around for so long and for posting something so downbeat but am rather depressed on my return to find that unless someone can tell me otherwise, there has been NO major development of any kind in CH treatment in those 2 years?

Have I missed something? Please tell me I have?

Have seen Goadsby's lecture on here, and not meaning to criticise CH'ers greatest ally as he is a legend and may be the person who makes the breakthrough we need but I heard all that 4 years ago.

You can still only get the "dinosaur" triptan in injectable form and only the two oldest in nasal.

We are still battling to have 02 therapy recognised as a real treatment and sufferers are still fighting to get the cheapest, least risky abortive of the lot AND the masks that are provided don;t work properly/aren't good enough so we have to buy our own

We are still no nearer identifying the rogue gene or genes responsible for this wretched condition

There are more ONSI's being done  but results are still about the same as they were 3 years ago- i.e. patchy

Research into alternatives still a total uphill slog?

I know 2 years isn't long but surely there is something????

W the B

« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2008 at 8:37pm by pubgirl »  

Calling all Brits (and anyone else- all welcome) Join OUCH UK and help us fight CH together

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: Rather depressed re. progress in CH treatment
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 8:45pm

I think that's largely an accurate assessment. 

There have been some folks here who have been pushing the envelope in oxygen therapy--testing higher flows to decrease abort times, and tweaking the equipment to make 02 an even more effective abortive treatment for more of us.  Very valuable stuff.  I'm hoping that Batch and Chuck will weigh in on this.

Perhaps Bob Johnson will have something to say regarding trials of new medications as well.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

pubgirl
CH.com Hall of Famer

it a migraine eats teeth

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 9:03pm

I missed out the CGRP antagonists research but that was started 4 years ago and I can't find the progress

Calling all Brits (and anyone else- all welcome) Join OUCH UK and help us fight CH together

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 9:06am

Dr Goadsby did mention CGRP in his lecture but says it is still a year away from approval.  This is the most significant development recently.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 8:52am

In addition to the value of this manual, Robbins' site is one to check from time to time for recent developments. He tends to post articles, etc. on breaking developments.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
ALL NEW!! HEADACHE 2008-2009
The new 72 page Headache 2008-2009 is hot off the press! Click here to download the PDF instantly! (free)

If you would like a bound copy, send $12 (includes shipping) to
Robbins Headache Clinic
1535 Lake Cook Rd.
Suite 506
Northbrook, Ill.60062

OR call 847-480-9399 to use Visa or Mastercard.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 9:18am

wow, that was a total buzz kill of a post, but your right,  there is slow progress, but when i 1st got this all i had was asprin. Today i got my 02 and rcseeds, but in the cupboard is 4 shots of imetrex and a script of preds just in case i need to hit the panic button. It is what it is, you got it, i got it, and so does the people invovled in this room. Who knows you may be the person who finds the common anwser for us all, so keep working because i feel good knowing we have so many people looking for the very same needle all in the same haystack. Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

pubgirl
CH.com Hall of Famer

it a migraine eats teeth

Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 11:53am

Cheers Coach Bill!

I'm so sorry, it was a bit of a selfish 'downer' of a post but I really thought I might have missed something and two years of posts was a bit impossible to catch up on.

You are right, there has been so much progress in the last 20 years and CH'ers are much better off than they were, it just doesn't seem to be moving much in the last 3 or 4 and the "why" explanations still fit on the back of a postage stamp i.e. "you were born with a dodgy gene and your hypothalamus is abnormal".

W

IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 12:24pm

pubgirl wrote on Aug 30th, 2008 at 8:33pm:
Have I missed something? Please tell me I have?

You missed giving and receiving moral support.

Charlotte

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #8 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 1:27pm

Unfortunately, Pubgirl, you are right, mostly.  The biggest changes I have seen, since you last posted, regularly, is the improved methods of delivering the O2, and a lot more awarness in the medical profession ... Still not great, but the word IS getting spread, and that is a good thing!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Oregon City|USA||0|0|OR,Oregon
Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 2:29pm

Wendy,
Big picture, dear...let's look at it.
I am not a person of statistics, so hopefully someone with those numbers will come behind me and help... but here's what I know.......more people are arriving daily at CH.com.......Clusterville takes on more and more each day.....Clusterheads are coming out of the dark, and joining here in droves. Charlotte is right.......there IS alot of common commiserating-and support and concern here- more than ever before!
To that end, we have Goadsby, who attended the last Conv, and is dedicated to helping Chers find a cause/control/cure.....
Yes, it is horrible that people like yourself are still suffering miserably with CH. The progress IS slow.can't get around that, BUT.remember, the sheer number of sufferers, all pushing/hoping/begging for a cure, as they gather, their voices get louder, more research monies become available, more Dr's become aware, hospitals develop protocol, which negates the old'must be a drug seeker" attitude, and genuinely searches for some relief.......

You did right, Wendy..you reached out here when you're hurting and frustrated. We will do what we can to help you through the tough times........until that cure comes down the pike........and it will!!!  Numbers and awareness are the beginning, an understanding shoulder, some new coping skills and perhaps some laughter will have to tide you over till then......while the progress is happening.

Wendy, I know you to be one of the strongest of the strong! If you need my strength for awhile, it's yours. Take a deep breath, be sure to keep up your strength, get rest when you can and eat right, so you have what you need to fight.
Here's a hug, hope it helps.........I'll be thinking of you and send vibes across the pond........
PF wishes to ya!
Cathi

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

IP Logged

pubgirl
CH.com Hall of Famer

it a migraine eats teeth

Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 4:01pm

Actually I 'm really fine everyone, I promise faithfully. Thanks for caring though. I genuinely am not here because I'm not coping and I'm sorry if it came over like that.

I feel guilty for being away but politics and infighting at OUCH UK and ch.com got a bit too heavy for me for a while, so when I became CH free I enjoyed pretending it was all a big mistake and I never had it at all, and that got to the point when I had been away so long, I didn't come back

I am genuinely sad (depressed was too strong a word- sorry, it is more "sorely disappointed") that there doesn't seem to be anything new, or even new in the pipeline.

I am one of the lucky ones because the aborts work for me and I have no trouble at all getting them, and I never have needed to go beyond that.

It is those who are chronic or can't abort easily or are alone who need you most.

I don't do the support stuff well, not enough patience and perhaps a bit too "British" for that but happy to do as much as I can of what I think I do best- asking the right questions, challenging preconceptions and, in the UK, keeping people informed of their rights.

Love to all, you are the nicest, most supportive bunch ever.

I promise I will ask if I do need help, but I really very rarely do

Love

W the B

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!