Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hoarsness and difficulty swallowing? (Read 1165 times)
stairman
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Hoarsness and difficulty swallowing?
Aug 27th, 2008 at 8:42pm

I'm new to this site, but hope someone can help. I have had ch for years. Prior to 2004, would wake at night, about 3 am, take hot shower, beat head on wall, etc. Then, for about a year and a half, nothing. Then, Dec 2005, started pain behind right eye, in right nostril, eye watered, pain on right side of head, but not nearly as bad as before. The weird part was that I totally lost my voice, and couldn't swallow. As I was travelling at the time for work, stopped at ER. Had every test available. NOthing wrong, of course. Followed up with neaurologist (?). Diagnosed as ch.
Question: Has anyone else ever had symptoms of hoarsness or difficulty swallowing with ch?
Thanks for any help.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Re: Hoarsness and difficulty swallowing?
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 9:39pm

Hoarsness and difficulty in swallowing is not a symptom of CH that I have ever heard about and I have been chronic for 21 yrears and here at this site for 10 yrs.

What meds are you on?  THEY may be causing this.

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

stairman
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 9:54pm

I'm on multiple blood pressure meds. The nerologist feels that, while my nose isn't running externally, it is going down my throat and causing the vocal cords to tighten. sounded questionable to me. I am taking a calcium channel blocker or bp, don't know if that is helping. It isn't verapamil, and I haven't read if others work or not. Any ideas? Have tried migraine meds, but didn't work. Now, just caffiene. Am going to try Red Bull tomorrow. Thanks.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 10:29pm

The nerologist feels that, while my nose isn't running externally, it is going down my throat and causing the vocal cords to tighten.

That doesn't sound questionable to me at all.  THAT is most likely the cause of the hoarsness , etc.   Mind you, I am not a doctor.

I have one suggestion for you in regards to CH.  O.K. Two.  Keep using the Verapimil as a preventative.   Then go ask your Dr. for a script for oxygen.  Non-rebreather mask and a regulastor that goes to at least 15 lpm.    Trust me on this one.

If you hasve any more questions...please ask.  That is what this site and all of us are here for.    Getting around this site and gleaning info when you're in pain isn't easy, so just ask.  O.K.?   Wink

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

stairman
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 5:42am

Thanks, Linda.
It is really a help to know that others understand, especially when symptoms change so much. Lately, I haven't had the diffuculty swallowing. And thankfully, the headache pain with this series is not unbearable. The main problem has been the not knowing, wondering.
I will definitly talk to my Dr about O2 soon. That sounds like the cheapest, least side effects option.
I'm not on verapamil, had to stop that from side effects. However, another bp med, Exforge, is a calcium channel blocker. I'm wondering if that is why the pain doesn't get over about a 6?
Thanks for all the help. I've also picked up a lot of tips from reading other messages. Thanks to all. Don

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 9:29am

Hi Don,

Welcome to the board.  Hope you are pf soon!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!