Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Remission Is Over For Me.(Update) (Read 5552 times)
barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Re: Remission Is Over For Me...
Reply #25 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 6:59am

You guy's are the best! Thanks. You help more than you know just by being there.

I had a small problem when I went back on the Verapamil. I started back on Verap last Saturday morning at my 480mg daily dose but my BP dropped too low and had to call my neuro on Tuesday as I was almost passing out. He told me to get to the ER and get checked out. All is ok but had a good scare as I have never felt like that before.

Saw my neuro yesterday and he reduced my verap dose to 320mg daily for a few days then I am to go back up to the 480mg. Had to let my body get adjusted to the dosage.

Also, we talked about when I am away from my o2 (mainly when I am out in the forest biking) what I can do if I get hit way out there. Being on Verap means no Red Bull. We decided to go with the Imitrex injections, so I will have one of those with me while biking.

See, I am still learning! Wink

Thanks again! Smiley

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #26 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 12:20pm

Hey Barry!  I had similar problems when initially ramping up on verapamil last year.  I had to step up 120mg at a time every three or four days to do it safely.  Once I felt stable at the new level I'd go up again.

Did you consider the D sized tanks for biking?  I'm just curious...

Good luck...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #27 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 2:18pm

Barry and Don, I hope  you both kick the sh$t out of this beast and don't let him get the best of you.  Just think of PF days on the horizon.
Positive thoughts are key  Smiley

Wishing you both the best!

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Ernie Moss aka Wishbone
CH.com Junior

Birmingham, AL
Reply #28 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 6:32pm

Barry I am fairly new to posting but not to the beast. I saw in the thread you said since you are on verapamil no red bull.  Is that because the red bull negates the affect of verap vice versa or because of dangers.  Dumb do do here am on 480mg of verapamil and drink red bull to kill light shadows.  BP is fine, I don't check it every day.  I have not noticed any problems, but I have not discussed with my neuro either. Wishing you PF days soon and hoping that you don't get hit and need the trex while in the woods. Thanks Wishbone

It don't cost a nickel to be nice and by being so you might just make someone's day.&&Ernie Moss

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #29 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 7:01pm

Ernie Moss aka Wishbone wrote on Sep 4th, 2008 at 6:32pm:
Barry I am fairly new to posting but not to the beast. I saw in the thread you said since you are on verapamil no red bull.  Is that because the red bull negates the affect of verap vice versa or because of dangers.  Dumb do do here am on 480mg of verapamil and drink red bull to kill light shadows.  BP is fine, I don't check it every day.  I have not noticed any problems, but I have not discussed with my neuro either. Wishing you PF days soon and hoping that you don't get hit and need the trex while in the woods. Thanks Wishbone

Wishbone, nice to meet you. I am not sure what happens when you mix the two as I am still learning also. I will get someone who can maybe answer this for us.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #30 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 8:23pm

DennisM1045 wrote on Sep 4th, 2008 at 12:20pm:
Did you consider the D sized tanks for biking?  I'm just curious...

Good luck...

-Dennis-

Yes I did Dennis, but not gonna work out there. Good suggestion though, I appreciate.

Packing Imitrex Injection! That is my ace in the hole while out of reach of my o2. Hope I do not need it!

Thxs Bro!
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2008 at 12:24pm by barry_sword »  

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #31 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 2:12am

barry_sword wrote on Sep 4th, 2008 at 6:59am:
I started back on Verap last Saturday morning at my 480mg daily dose but...

I fluctuate dosage using verap throughout the year, but wanted to repeat what Dennis said.  Very gradually with the increments and gradual steps when decreasing its use.  
 Starting a cycle is an eager time to want protection soon as possible but adjusting to levels slowly is a consideration.  

Quote:
he reduced my verap dose to 320mg daily for a few days

It's possible the lower level of 320 may just suffice for a time anyway, going to 480 when needed.   See what happens as it unfolds.   Smiley   To get to 320, it seems you are using 80mg verap.  There is always the level of 400mg in between on the way to 480mg to check effectiveness at, too.

« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2008 at 2:20am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #32 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 7:10am

I did reduce to 320mg daily dose of Verapamil and it so far is keeping the beast at bay. I monitor my BP a few times a day and all is good.

The Imitrex injection is for only when I am away from my #1 abortive, the o2. It is small enough to fit in my back pack when I am out riding my bike.

Thanks again for all the advice and support, appreciate it a lot. Smiley

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #33 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 9:28am

barry_sword wrote on Sep 4th, 2008 at 7:01pm:
Ernie Moss aka Wishbone wrote on Sep 4th, 2008 at 6:32pm:
Barry I am fairly new to posting but not to the beast. I saw in the thread you said since you are on verapamil no red bull.  Is that because the red bull negates the affect of verap vice versa or because of dangers.  Dumb do do here am on 480mg of verapamil and drink red bull to kill light shadows.  BP is fine, I don't check it every day.  I have not noticed any problems, but I have not discussed with my neuro either. Wishing you PF days soon and hoping that you don't get hit and need the trex while in the woods. Thanks Wishbone

Wishbone, nice to meet you. I am not sure what happens when you mix the two as I am still learning also. I will get someone who can maybe answer this for us.

Hi Guys,

I can't remember who posted this about the Red Bull but, I read that something about the combination of taurine and the Verapamil can be dangerous.  I also read that it is still safe to consume one or two Red Bulls, or other energy drink, per day.  Just don't go over that.

Wishing you many PFD ahead!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Re: Remission Is Over For Me.(Update)
Reply #34 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 8:39am

Barry,

I recall too well that "nearly passing out" side effect from my verap days - it was terrible! It was "ok" when I was at home (happened 3 times), but not while travelling on London Underground... Undecided

The "good" thing about BP dropping a lot was that I got to see my then neuro white as sheet - that took place after he checked my BP. Grin Funny, verapamil lowed my BP only on low doses but high ones (well, high for me...) my BP was ok and I didn't get that side effect any more. Go figure.

I hope you'll be PF very soon!!!  Smiley

Sanna

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #35 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 7:14am

Yes Jean, it is the taurine and Verapamil combo that intensifies the effect of Verap. which makes it bad to mix the two. Also my neuro said NOT to have any grapefruit or grapefruit juice while on Verap also as it has the same effect as the taurine and Verap.

Sanna, my BP is almost back to normal, I have never felt the effects of low BP before, kinda scary for me.

This is day three of me trying to get the proper Imitrex injection system. I guess I am the first to have a script for it as the Pharmacist has ordered the wrong stuff twice now. I printed off a detailed(with pics) manual on the system I need so we will see what comes today. I guess I am teaching them about this! LOL

PF wishes to all.
    Barry Smiley

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #36 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 8:22am

barry_sword wrote on Sep 10th, 2008 at 7:14am:
Yes Jean, it is the taurine and Verapamil combo that intensifies the effect of Verap. which makes it bad to mix the two. Also my neuro said NOT to have any grapefruit or grapefruit juice while on Verap also as it has the same effect as the taurine and Verap.

I did that once.  It wasn't fun.  Came close to going to the ER.  Fortunately the symptoms went away after about an hour.

Thumping heart.  Irregular rythm.  Sweats.  No arm pain so I was pretty sure it wasn't an heart attack.  Scary episode.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!