Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can anyone help me? (Read 2640 times)
Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Can anyone help me?
Sep 1st, 2008 at 7:46am

Hello,

I do have a question, but before I ask I'd like to say thanks to all of you here.  Just before 7am this morning I woke up with the beginning of a hit and panicked like mad!  My oxygen had run out during the 4am hit - so I had nothing to abort and my son (6) was going to be awake in about 30 mins.  (Which meant uniform needed to be ready, breakfast served etc etc etc before school.)  He's never seen me mid CH and I don't ever want him to!  So in my panic I tried everything that I've read on here.  Cold feet on the floor boards, exercise, star jumps, the Spaniards arm raise, everything I could think of, hot shower, mega coffee hit.  I was so glad there was no one about to see me - it was ridiculous.  But I DID IT.  I aborted the hit with a little help from some friends.  Smiley  So thanks, every idea helps in a time of need.

To my question.... This cycle I have been using O2 only (decided to give the verapamil a miss this time round and see how I go) but my nose is killing me!  Of course I don't want to give up on the O2 (I'm getting through an E tank in under a week) but is there anything I can do to stop the pain that it causes my nose.  My right nostrol is fine cos its usually blocked during a hit but my lefty is getting quite sensitive.

I'd really appreciate any responses, ideas you might have.

Thanks again for helping me in my hours of need  Wink

Kate

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Re: Can anyone help me?
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 8:06am

Kate, glad you are getting help from my buddy, OXYGEN!  And congrats on kicking the beast to the curb, using some of the suggestions here!  I LOVE hearing this sort of news!

What you are describing, sounds like dryness from the O2.  Two things come to mind:
One - Get a bubbler (moisturizer) and add it onto your regulator.  That way the oxygen is not as dry.

Second - Breath only through your mouth.  Your throat and mouth may get dry, but that is easy to fix, just have a glass of water nearby, take a quick break from the mask, take a mouthful of water, slosh it around, swallow, and then get back to the mask and O2.

Let me know if it helps.

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 8:17am

Thanks Chuck.  I'm due for another hit any time soon (I can feel it creeping up) so I'll give the mouth breathing a try. Seems like common sense really - I'm a dill... and yet so natural to breath through the nose  Tongue With the bubbler, would I get that from the oxygen supplier (BOC)?.  If so, I'll give them a call in the morning (its 10.15pm here). 

Thanks again,

Kate

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 8:24am

Yes, that is where I got my original one from.  If you can't get one from them, let me know, and I will send you one.

I just thought, though .... Did you say you are using an "E" tank?  That may be a bit difficult to attach the bubbler to.  It would depend on the regulator that you have.  It is also much more difficult to use properly, because (because of the water in the bubbler) the tank MUST be kept vertical, so that the bubbler is vertical.

I CAN think of a few jury rig jobs to do it, though.

Good luck!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 8:28am

Thanks again,  I will give them a call and see what they say.

Gotta fly, here we go again, wish me luck  Shocked

K

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 8:42am

KICK the beast in the ass, Kate!

ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 10:39am

Always good to see a winner, Kate. Keep it up!!

Also, send a PM to Barry-T-Coles who has jerried up a beaty that's going to cost you something exorbitant - around $1.25. Allow for the fact he spends a long time away from the computer (between remand and parole) but otherwise he's a good bloke.

Cheers and beers,

Brian up north.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

pubgirl
CH.com Hall of Famer

The next person who calls
it a migraine eats teeth

x0|London|United_Kingdom||0|0|
Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 12:51pm

Hi Kate

Another option is to use the delivery sets with an entonox mouthpiece instead of a mask (I don't like masks much myself)
You get a different problem with those though- a dry throat! But that is easier to resolve with water

W

Calling all Brits (and anyone else- all welcome) Join OUCH UK and help us fight CH together

IP Logged

Em
CH.com Alumnus

I wanna go...

St Peter Port, Guernsey.
Reply #8 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 3:50pm

Hi Kate,

I find I get exactly the same thing - my throat and nose can sometimes feel burned (especially if I've had a few more than normal in a given day).

I just keep drinks handy and try to keep my fluid up. Breathing through your mouth or in through mouth and out through nose will help too.

Sorry you're getting hit. Fingers crossed for some PFDs soon.

Em

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Em emily.wensink 655755088  
IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 7:41pm

Thanks everyone.  

Luckily I only got hit a couple of times last night so my nose is kind of holding out.  I tried the mouth breathing..... but I've got rotten teeth and that cold air on them is not good to say the least.  Undecided  I will PM Barry and see what he's been up to  Wink

Thanks again, and thanks for the pf wishes.  I need them.  Stupid head  Cry  The frightening thing is that this cycle has really only just begun - I'm about half way through the second week.   Oh well, this too shall pass.

My thoughts go out to all of you who are also suffering at this time.

Kate
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2008 at 7:55pm by Kate in Oz »  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 8:01pm

If you can't get a bubbler, here's what I would do.

Using a Q-tip, rub a thin coat of Vasoline in your nostril.  I know....that sounds weird, but before I got my newest demand valve set-up which can abort an attack in short time...I, too got really dried out and did that and it worked.

« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2008 at 8:02pm by Linda_Howell »  

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #11 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 8:24pm

Thanks Linda, what an excellent idea!  I'll definately give that a shot tonight!!!

It never ceases to amaze me how stupid I get during a cycle.  Its like my brain checks out for a while.   Thank god for Clusterville and all you wonderful people with such good and yet simple ideas.

Forever gratfeful,

Kate

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #12 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 4:15am

I hope you're PF soon, Kate!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #13 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 9:15pm

Thanks Sandie  Smiley

Whilst I'm here I'm going to have a little whinge, please forgive me. As much as it fuckin hurts, I CAN handle the waking up in the middle of the night with hits.  But this 7am hit that I am now getting, just prior to my son waking up is truly giving me the shits.  I don't want him to see me like this  Angry

He is very understanding and cute.  Says I hope you will feel much better tomorrow mum.... which is great.  But I just wish I could keep these to myself!   Poor little kid  Undecided

K

IP Logged

Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus

It's always darkest before
the dawn.

North Carolina, USA
Reply #14 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 9:47pm

Hello Kate!  I am a mom of 2 (7 & 8 yrs old) and I have carried some guilt about them seeing me in pain.  They have had to see me in serious pain, admitted to the hospital, and all the other crap too many times to count.  I used to carry a word of guilt about that.  Now (not that I still don't have my moments of feeling sorry about it but...) I see 2 very compassionate young ppl, which is a blessing now.  I'm proud of how caring they are as a result.  I don't wish this on anyone, or would have wanted to subject this on my kids, but here we are and the outcome of their personalities isn't so awful.  My daughter used to bring me ice and they both wanted mommy to feel better.  If your child see's you feeling bad, he can maybe do something to help (it may help him feel "big" and like he CAN do something for you)  and that I believe makes a world of difference, atleast in my experience.

Well I gotta run for now, I hope this made some sense.

PF hugs,
Tara Ann
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2008 at 9:48pm by Tara Ann »  

taratheking taraann77 taraann1977 peachypie77 imjustpeachypie  
IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 9:55pm

Tip of the day... Don't forget to order extra O2 on the holiday weekends!! I always have at least 3 M tanks on hand. I keep 5 and when two are done I reorder. Better to be prepared than caught with your preverbal pants down.

Roland.. Kiss

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!