Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
imitrex question (Read 2047 times)
Karl
Ex Member

imitrex question
Sep 6th, 2008 at 5:33pm

I started using imitrex not long ago with great results
question
does anybody elses's arms ache a bit for awhile after the injection?
i am taking 6mg self injection imitrex

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Re: imitrex question
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 5:47pm

It doesn’t work well for me. I usually have to resort to the DHE supply for major relief of K8-10 hits. Manny others on this site get good results from it.

Get with the O2 therapy ASAP for immediate relief!

PFW,

Roland.

PS; you should try front leg where it bends at the thigh. That is best for imitrex for me. Wink

Edit; cause I can not spell for $hit! Huh
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2008 at 5:56pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 6:57pm

Hi Karl,

That sould like the vasoconstrictive effect of the drug.  I feel it in my throat and chest.  It's like an achey tightness. 

I do everything I can to avoid using them.  But sometimes, you just have to.

I notice far fewer symptoms and all the relief now that I've switched to the 4mg auto injector.  You might think about going this route too.  6mg is more than most of us need.  Talk to your Dr about trying them out.

Another alternative is spliting doses as described in the link to the left or getting syringes and selfinjecting that way.

Good luck...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 7:01pm

i use all the other's oxygen,ice,energy drinks.
and yes i use the the oxygen correctly. it is my first line of defense because it works so well.
i have injecting imitrex in my stomach but my arms ache like heck afterwards.  thought maybe somebody might have the same reaction.
i only use imitrex when i get so tired of the repeated at the higher kip scale. 6 and up and thats after everything else Smiley
i thinkyour right dennis it is a vasoconstriction.  maybe the 6mg is a bit much, i just assume its all guns when fighting back.  thanks
also i am very allergic to ergot compounds (shuts my kidneys down)
anyone else i would love to hear
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2008 at 7:30pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 10:33pm

For a break from the injections, ask your doc if he has any samples to try of the nasal spray trex.  It takes longer to abort but easy to use, you might find it ok as an alternative at times.  If you could get prescribed both kinds (I don't know), you could use them interchangeably at different times.  How has a preventative search gone?

IP Logged

pubgirl
CH.com Hall of Famer

The next person who calls
it a migraine eats teeth

x0|London|United_Kingdom||0|0|
Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 11:39pm

Hi Karl

I have loads of flab around my middle (sob!) and I find if I "pinch an inch" and jab there it stings far less than into arms or legs or muscles.
That is where diabetics usually use their auto-injectors and they do it everyday so it must be OK. This may be the ONLY advantage in being a bit fat! Embarrassed

also re Kevin's good suggestion about nasal Triptans. I have tried the Imi nasal and the Zomig nasal and find the Zomig one better with less side effects - circa 8 minutes to work (I know it is slower than the injection but not by much) Zomig is a newer drug than Imi and I find it better than Imi generally for side effects.

The only downside I can see with nasals is that the bitter taste in the back of the throat makes me "gag" so I have a glass of water ready to wash it away.
It doesn't actually matter if you are sick though as the drug has already gone into your blood stream via the mucous membranes in your nose

For what it is worth and only added as it may give ideas- I keep an armoury of various triptans with different delivery methods and half-lives and use different ones for different things if 02 has failed or isn't practical

-urgency, panic really setting in or v high KIP attack = Imi injection
-lower Kips or on planes, in public etc = Zomig nasal
-need some sleep or have to block for a few hours = Migard/Frova.

Wendy

Calling all Brits (and anyone else- all welcome) Join OUCH UK and help us fight CH together

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 1:32am

For me Imitrex injects just caused rebounds, and im talking major rebound headaches.

I use Zomig nasal and it works just as fast without the rebounds.

Good luck, karl.

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 1:36am

I did notice that, yes.  The only place i can do it is in my stomach.  If i do an arm or a leg, it feels heavy and painful the next day.

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!