Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lidocaine (Read 3027 times)
MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Lidocaine
Sep 7th, 2008 at 2:04pm

I do not get much relief from lidocaine as a nasal spray.  Just wondering if anyone has used it as eye drops.  The idea of a numb eye during an attack sounds great.

Thanks.

Malcom

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Re: Lidocaine
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 2:57pm

I haven't tried either, I was tempted to rub some novacaine ear drops on my face and see if it helped. Or maybe snort some oragel. (I decided against either.)

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

cluster
CH.com Old Timer

WaterX3 - It helps!

Cologne(Europe)
Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 3:51am

Perhaps better to use lidocaine as nose drops, not as spray. Please see:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

pf wishes,
Friedrich

Cluster Headache News: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - German CH Site
IP Logged

Ernie Moss aka Wishbone
CH.com Junior

Birmingham, AL
Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 11:32am

Like many of the abortives (other than O2) some things work for some and don't for others, but early on I was prescribed lidocaine gel and then drops and I honestly can't say whether either really worked for me because in 30-45 minutes the hit would be gone.  Is it possible it would have gone anyway without the lidocaine, yes or is it possible without the lidocaine it would have continued for another 30-45 minutes yes.  Certainly not the preferred line of defense as first O2 or in my case if O2 not available, triptans.  Wishing everyone PF days.  Wishbone

It don't cost a nickel to be nice and by being so you might just make someone's day.&&Ernie Moss

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 12:16pm

Not my first choice.
thebb

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 2:15pm

I have not used eye drops during a hit.

Early on, I tried and dismissed lidocaine drops as an abortive.  They WERE helpful to me to abort a CH about 30% of the time.

The position I needed to maintain, flat on my back, with my head tipped back and rotated 45 degrees toward the effected eye was miserable and made the pain about 100% worse!

Wishing you well,

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 2:25pm

Thanks for the input.  I remember being in an emergency room years ago for a metal splinter in my eye.  They used lidocaine to numb it and remove the splinter.  That's what made me think of it.

IP Logged

washed-out
CH.com Junior

Native Engrish Speaker
:D

Poland
Reply #7 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 7:08pm

Ernie Moss aka Wishbone wrote on Sep 8th, 2008 at 11:32am:
I honestly can't say whether either really worked for me because in 30-45 minutes the hit would be gone.  Is it possible it would have gone anyway without the lidocaine, yes or is it possible without the lidocaine it would have continued for another 30-45 minutes yes.

Indeed.

I've also heard (as someone mentioned) that drops, not spray, is the best option (I don't know what sprays you have in your countries, but typical lidocaine in spray, which should be used only on skin, not on mucous membrane, can make your nose start bleeding.

Btw. how many drops do you use? And what's lidocaine "concentration" (dunno if that's a proper term Tongue)? Mine is 2%. (edit: i've ust read medical information @ main site, i forgot about it Tongue)

MPMIII wrote on Sep 8th, 2008 at 2:25pm:
Thanks for the input.  I remember being in an emergency room years ago for a metal splinter in my eye.  They used lidocaine to numb it and remove the splinter.  That's what made me think of it.

well i've visited oculist many times (cause i had some problems) and she used many drops (e.g. to make my pupils bigger) and if i remember correctly she used lidocaine before measuring eye pressure, that's kinda strange feeling, but I think it could've been helpful in CH attack localized around your eye. Anyway I WOULDN'T try it on my own...
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2008 at 7:12pm by washed-out »  

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 12:48am

Okay, While I was evacuated, one hospital did something that none of the others have done.

They filled a syringe with lidocaine (it was like syrup) and squirted it into my nose.

They didn't have me lay down because they couldn't make me, but while we waited for the nubaine to kick in, it at least helped with the part of the cluster headache that was located in the sinuses.

I didn't find it useful for the whole headache mind you, but, they filled up 2 more syringes full, (what was left of the little thing they opened full of lidocaine) and sent me home with it. When the pain is severe in the sinus area, I put some of that in, sometimes I have to flush it with saline solution.

I've had my eyes numbed plenty of times for the pressure tests. (Used to get them every 3-6 months) They use numbing drops first, because if they don't, the dilating drops hurt pretty bad. I don't think it'd help with the clusters because the pain is behind the eye. Sure didn't help with the eye pain from the increased intracranial pressure. :/

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #9 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 2:42am

At my Neuro appt. last Thur. we were talking about how to help me get some sleep. Only been getting 4hrs or less for weeks now, and I don't do well with being sedated in any way. He thought a min.
I had the ONB (occipital Nerve blocks) the week before and this lasted about 12 hours and contained Lidocaine and steroids. Said the Lidocaine must have worked, so his idea to experiment.

The Lidoderm patches (contain lidocaine) applied, after removing hair from the area, to the scalp on top of the injection sites, where the nerves pass under, (both sides) may help me sleep. Well, I tried it and it did take out the shadows but after several hours they were back. Now I'm thinking that it is helpful but leaving them on too long is not. I am still putting them on for shadows and they do stop them for me, but leaving them on for sleep appears to be allowing too much medication to build up. Thought you guys might want to know.

This might be more helpfull for someone else but after I fell asleep with them on I woke up an hour later with a K-3 that O-2 killed. , Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

miker6565
CH.com Junior

Early Bird gets the worm?
How about a Peanut? :)

Delaware,Ohio
Reply #10 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 10:37am

I have been using lidocaine nasal spray 4%, in the spring it seemed to help some as far as intensity and duration, but this fall actually starting after my neck surgery 4 weeks ago , they have realy got intense. Yesterday I had one around 4.30pm , usually mine last from start to finsish 45min to 60 min, but this one lasted almost 2 hrs, almost like i had 2 back to back,although ive never claimed to have a kip10 this one was definatly a 9.99, finally fell asleep(or passed out) i don't know, around 7pm , woke up around 9.30 pm with a strong shadow, and woke up this morning with one, normal one,
sometimes i honestly think the spray either helps or makes it worse, i dont know,
i have mixed feelings about it now,
energy drinks with taurine 1,000 mg, seem to work well. not an immediate abortive, but at least its something.

Problems with the spray i have, bottles leaking out if its laying sideways, pumper not always working. and that nasty taste.

"If at first you don't succeed,,Get out the hammer,,If the hammer don't work,,Go back to bed....."Have you hugged your kids lately?" Peace always, Mike
poet4u1023  
IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #11 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 8:29pm

They tried lidocaine nasal spray once on an ER visit. I thought I was gonna strangle someone, plus my sinuses were on fire worse than my eye felt. This was an aerosol.

Another time, ER visit, had a CH going for several hours, and wouldn't let up. They got me in right away, and put me on a non-rebreather mask and O2, then got out the lidocaine. I adamantly refused it. When they told me it wasn't a spray, I relented. It was a gel form they pushed up my nose. Felt soothing, but it didn't help my CH.

I never tried the drops, and I'd be leery of putting them in my eye. My entire eyeball is on fire, and hurts like hell when I'm getting hit. I'd be worried about getting something in my eye and not feeling it... like my fist.

When I first started getting hit, one of the first docs I went to was an opthamologist. They dilated my eyes and numbed them, while I was getting hit. The lidocaine didn't work on the eye pain. They decided it was a neurological event...

IP Logged

ChefChris
CH.com Veteran

Virginia Beach, Va
Reply #12 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 11:54am

I use lidocaine patches on my back, neck, forehead, temple, and jaw. It numbs the areas that hurt. I try to keep the patches on 24/7. I do find a little bit of relief. As of now I'm keeping the patches on, MS Contin 30 mg 2X a day, and zanaflex 2mg 2x a day and it seems to be working for me.

life is great clean. thanks NA and rehab. clean date August 4, 2010
chris_kels 420chris420 cohen.chris@ymail.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!