Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MELATONIN...I take allot, do you? (Read 2824 times)
teajay
CH.com Junior

I DON'T get Migraines!

PA
MELATONIN...I take allot, do you?
Sep 9th, 2008 at 6:13pm

Hi , haven't posted in a bit or been on, kinda anti computer cause I fix them....But anyway my Nero has me taking 27mg of Melatonin a night.   She's a good doctor, I don't doubt her, she knows CH.  I'm wondering if, any one out there is taking that much or close to it?    

T.J.

I didn't want to hurt them, I only wanted to kill them.-David Berkowitz 'Son of Sam'

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Re: MELATONIN...I take allot, do you?
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 6:17pm

I have only taken as much as 9mg at night.   How hard is it to wake up the next am on that?    Do you get hit the next morning pretty bad? 

Kelly

IP Logged

teajay
CH.com Junior

I DON'T get Migraines!

PA
Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 6:21pm

I won't get hit when I first wake up, I'll still get the hit right after I fall asleep, and as crazy as it sounds I got used to it and can wake up fine.  I'm kinda hooked on it now, can't sleep well w\o it and get CH if I miss it.

T

I didn't want to hurt them, I only wanted to kill them.-David Berkowitz 'Son of Sam'

IP Logged

Ernie Moss aka Wishbone
CH.com Junior

Birmingham, AL
Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 6:28pm

All I have ever taken is 15mg.  I actually wake up during the night taking that amount.  I still wake up at 5:30 am without an alarm the same as before taking.  Don't have a clue what 27mg may do.

It don't cost a nickel to be nice and by being so you might just make someone's day.&&Ernie Moss

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 6:48pm

Well, that's a lot--but if your neuro recommends that amount, I'm certainly not going to try second-guessing her.

9 mg. is an effective dose for me.  Although melatonin does not eliminate the nighttime hits in my case, it appears to substantially reduce the number of them.  I've not noticed that melatonin has any obvious side-effects, nor does it affect my wakefulness the next day.  It does not appear to have increased the number of hits, nor has it extended the cycle.

It's a valuable weapon in my arsenal.

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 6:48pm

Interesting.  So with 27 mg of melatonin you still get hit at night.  Thats too bad.   I had so-so luck with melatonin.  Worked a few times for me , but not all the time.  But when it did work I sure was grateful to get a good sleep. 

Glad you found something that helps you sleep.  Have you noticed whether it does anything to help your CH?   

BTW- glad you here and welcome

kelly

IP Logged

teajay
CH.com Junior

I DON'T get Migraines!

PA
Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 7:03pm

I've been taking Melatonin about 4  years now off and on at some mg or another, at first it killed CH at night but as with everything else, CH got immune to it.  For the last year I've been on 100 mg Topamax, 27 mg Melatonin, O2 and 4mg Inject Trex aborts.  Thinking of getting off the Topamax, the year has been so,so...   I'm going to start trying some of the herb combinations I've read about today on these threads..  Getting in to a bad cycle  Undecided

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 12:43am

Holy crap, that is a lot!!

I max out at 12.  Your body does build up a tolerance to it.  I try to ween myself back down when i am not in high cycle.  The bottle says not to exceed 3mg in a day, so I am not comfy in taking more than 6mg a day for extended periods. 
Course, they sell it in 5mg pills too.  I wonder how you are not to exceed 3mg with 5mg pills?
How do you sleep, aside from the CH?

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

teajay
CH.com Junior

I DON'T get Migraines!

PA
Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 7:39am

I sleep good (I should with all that Melatonin), no problems except CH attacks...

IP Logged

Em
CH.com Alumnus

I wanna go...

St Peter Port, Guernsey.
Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 2:36pm

I take a regular dose of 3 - 6mg (my tabs come in 3mg doses). It depends how early or late I get to bed as I find it does affect how groggy I am the next morning. If I'm having a really bad time of it, I will take 9mg at about 8.30pm and head straight for bed. Knocks me out clean.

If I took 27mg, I'd be out cold for a week I think!!!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Em emily.wensink 655755088  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!