Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie Newsh ! (Read 1992 times)
Newsh
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Bristol UK
Newbie Newsh !
Sep 22nd, 2008 at 3:26pm

Hi my name is Terry, i live in UK and i am 39, I first experienced the beast 4 years ago and we had regular meetings, on and off, for 3 years or so. I'm really sorry to say this but i have been pain free for almost 7 months now,  but saw some sufferers on YOUTUBE and it took me back. I know the beast will back 1 day and my heart goes out to anyone suffering this terrible affliction.

Regards
Newsh

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Re: Newbie Newsh !
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 3:35pm

Don't ever apologize for being painfree, Terry. As a matter of fact, we all cheer here if a fellow sufferer is into remission sweet remission.

Why don't you tell us a bit about yourself? Medication, diagnosis, the works?

Hoping here your remission will be long, Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 3:50pm

Hi Newsh!

We love to hear that you are pain free!  Welcome to the board! 

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Newsh
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Bristol UK
Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 4:23pm

Thanks for the kind welcome, as i said i am 39 and from the UK. For the first couple of years of bouts, 5-6 a day for 4 months, then nothing for a couple of months then back to the 5-6 a day, it did change from left hand side to the right but the next time came back on the left, now my left eyelid is permanently slightly lower than my right (if that makes sense). I moved house and doctors and went to see a new doc after 'The Fiend' revisited. He gave me Almotriptan 12.5mg one to be taken when needed ( 6 tabs in total), i tried to expalin that by the time i had got them out of my pocket to take the fiend would be setting about me !!! and Pizotifen 1.5mg(28 tabs in total) to be taken every night !!!. These were prescribed on 4th Feb this year and i still have about half of each left. i guess i have just got lucky!!!! I have shadows now and again but as yet nothing worse. Just the memory of waking every night and sitting rocking on the settee for 30-40 mins and then crawling back to bed almost brings me to tears. I was so scared to go out anywhere because i knew he would be on me at some point, I do not touch alcohol at all.

I feel for anyone who suffers and will offer any support i can!!!!

Thanks again
Newsh

IP Logged

River
CH.com Newbie

Hope for Tomorrow

Texas
Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 4:29pm

Did the medication help, or was it merely time that allowed the CH to leave?  Years ago I tried the meds and none worked well enough for me.  Now the CHs are back and I'm looking for a new MD...
I understand.
River

River

IP Logged

Newsh
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Bristol UK
Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 5:15pm

River, i think i have just got lucky, simple as that, the pizotifen made me drowsy and i think that helped at night even if just psychologicaly.

i have, in the past, when going on holiday or away for weekend taken 10-12 panadol/ibuprofen (headache tablets) a day to try and ward them off. But i dont think thats the answer.

Good luck to you, try to find a doc that knows, you will feel better just knowing they know a little of how you feel.

Newsh

IP Logged

BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 6:01pm

Hi newsh

I am Brian from liverpool sorry you have this crap we have to deal with and im so happy your in a long remmision i hope it lasts i would advise you to try get Oxigen though for when and if it strikes again it is a real life saver someone more knowlagable around here will advise you on all that though i just wanted to say hi and welcome

Brian

PF Wishes to all.&&We all live with this crap But it is not who we are dont let it control you!!!.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 6:36pm

A big warm welcome and I agree, don't EVER apologize for being pain free, anyone beats the beast we all win!

You are an episodic in that you get breaks between your cycles, chronics don't get those, I'm episodic too and will give you a brief run down of my regimen. It's a 2 pronged approach.

1: A good preventative medication. That's something you take, while you are on cycle, to reduce the intensity and the frequency of the attacks. I use 1200 mg lithium a day when on cycle. Other popular prevents are verapamil and topomax. Many more to read about and discuss with your doctor.

2: an abortive regimen. A headache starts, now what? Riding it out for 45-90 minutes is simply unacceptable! Your first line abortive should be oxygen. I can abort an attack, be completely pain free, in as little as 6 minutes. Breathe pure 02, from a high flow regulator, at least 15 litres per minute, through a non re breather mask, started at the first hint of an attack. Been a miracle treatment for so many on the board it is worth pushing  REALLY REALLY HARD  with your doc to get it. Other popular abortives are imitrex injectables and nasal sprays. Many other abortives to read about on the med page.

With this condition, knowledge is power. Docs just don't see enough of these to have much at their fingertips. It is YOUR responsibility to educate yourself and assist your doc in planning your treatment.

Good news is you'll never be alone again! Wink

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Sunset
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 8:06pm

I've been able to tame thebeast with a combination of Verapamil 80MG 3x per day as a chemical preventative

and

B6 (250MG), B12 (500MG), Magnesium(100MG) and Taurine (625MG) again 3X per day by I try to interperse them and not take the vitamins to late since I like to sleep

Either I'm off the cycle or it works since nothing for two weeks although I'd swear I can feel the beast in thebackground just waiting to bounce I'm waiting for a couple more weeks before I give up on the meds

Oh and I;ve got the O2 just in case

Sunset  - I wish it was this easy for everybody

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #9 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 12:48pm

Sunset, the magnesium supplement seems to be popping up a lot on the board lately. Batch posted an article a while back explaining how the magnesium affects the body's PH levels, making you less susceptible to a CH attack. I started a daily supplement of magnesium and vitamin B-2 many years ago and swear it's had a postive effect on the length and intensity of my cycles. Just to add if you're taking magnesium you might want to add a calcium supplement as I've ben told magnesium will leach calcium outta your system.

Guiseppi
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2008 at 12:48pm by Guiseppi »  

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

DeStijl
CH.com Veteran

Lubbock, TX
Reply #10 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 10:52pm

pain free kicks ass!

Welcome Newsh! I sincerely hope the remission is as close to eternal as it can be. Oxygen is also quite the rockin' thing to have just in case that jaggoff comes back with the gasoline and jackhammer.

I <3 PFDN

Eric

https://www.facebook.com/eric.mcgaha  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!