Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Energy drinks can cause caffeine intoxication (Read 2058 times)
Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Energy drinks can cause caffeine intoxication
Sep 24th, 2008 at 9:47pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Quote:
Energy drinks have been popular for years, and the market keeps expanding. Some people drink them like they would soda -- during breakfast, lunch, dinner and as snacks. But there is such a thing as too much energy. A study published today in the journal Drug and Alcohol Dependence delivers a stern warning about the possibility of caffeine intoxication from energy drinks.

"The caffeine content of energy drinks varies over a 10-fold range, with some containing the equivalent of 14 cans of Coca-Cola, yet the caffeine amounts are unlabeled and few include warnings about potential health risks of caffeine intoxication," said one of the study's authors, Roland Griffiths of Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions.

A regular 12-ounce cola drink has about 35 milligrams of caffeine. A 6-ounce cup of brewed coffee has 80 to 150 milligrams of caffeine. The Food and Drug Administration imposes limits on how much caffeine food products can contain (71 milligrams for each 12-ounce can). But energy drinks are designated as dietary supplements, not food products. Thus, manufacturers of energy drinks can load their products with caffeine. Moreover, says Chad Reissig, another of the study's authors: "It's notable that over-the-counter caffeine-containing products require warning labels, yet energy drinks do not."

Caffeine intoxication is a recognized clinical syndrome. It is described as nervousness, anxiety, restlessness, insomnia, gastrointestinal upset, tremors, rapid heartbeat, restlessness and pacing. In rare cases, caffeine intoxication can cause death. See this Mayo Clinic report on caffeine side effects and this L.A. Times story on energy drinks that was written by a doctor.

The authors of the study have called for labeling on energy drinks to inform consumers of what they are getting. Advertising for energy drinks is aimed at teens and young adults and promotes the drinks as performance enhancers. Recently, however, some manufacturers have applied a harder edge to their marketing. One product is named Cocaine, and another product, a powdered energy drink sold in a vial, is named Blow. The makers of both products have received warning letters from the FDA about misleading advertising.

But occasional hand-slaps from the FDA are not enough. Besides caffeine intoxication, the use of energy drinks along with alcohol can be dangerous, the Johns Hopkins researchers say. A recent survey found that 27% of college students said they had mixed energy drinks and alcohol at least once a month. There is even some evidence, says Griffiths, that energy drinks may serve as a "gateway" product leading to more serious drug abuse.

- Shari Roan

Photo credit: PR NewsFolo/Rexam

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Re: Energy drinks can cause caffeine intoxication
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 10:07pm

I can't afford to drink that much, but i do like monster mean bean or locha mocha.
i also fight anxiety so i only drink them when i really need them.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 11:23pm

Great post Mel, people tend to play fast and easy with the energy drinks, good to be reminded now and then caffeine actually packs a pretty good wallop, especially when you jack it up with taurine!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

DeStijl
CH.com Veteran

Lubbock, TX
Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 11:43pm

Guiseppi wrote on Sep 24th, 2008 at 11:23pm:
Great post Mel, people tend to play fast and easy with the energy drinks, good to be reminded now and then caffeine actually packs a pretty good wallop, especially when you jack it up with taurine!

Guiseppi

x2

I enjoy the rockstar juiced varieties the most. They actually taste good.

https://www.facebook.com/eric.mcgaha  
IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 2:59pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Quote:
Energy Drinks Need Caffeine Warning, Scientists Say (Update1)

By Jamie McGee

Sept. 24 (Bloomberg) -- Energy beverages can have 10 times the caffeine of soft drinks, or even more, prompting scientists at Johns Hopkins University to recommend that product labels list the content and warn about health risks.

Energy drinks are sold as dietary supplements, and the Food and Drug Administration doesn't limit their caffeine or require warnings. A typical 12-ounce soft drink contains about 35 milligrams of caffeine, while some energy drinks have as much as 500 milligrams, said the researchers in a report published today in the journal Drugs and Alcohol Dependence. Consumers may be unaware of caffeine content and risks, the report said.

``If you are going to use a drug, you should know what it is, what it does and how to use it effectively,'' said study author Roland Griffiths, a professor of behavioral biology at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, in a phone interview yesterday. ``If you don't label that, you don't know that.''

Caffeine intoxication can lead to nervousness, anxiety, restlessness, insomnia, gastrointestinal upset, tremors, rapid heartbeat and overdose, Griffiths said. He recommended regulation.

One drink-company marketer said the products can be a safer alternative to drug abuse for teens.

``We say, `Do the drink, not the drug,''' said Raymond Herrera, marketing vice president of Redux Beverages LLC, the closely held owner of the Cocaine Energy Drink, in Murrieta, California. ``If you do the drug you are dumb. If you do the drink you are cool.''

The name ``Cocaine'' is used as a marketing technique and the product isn't a gateway to other substances, he said.

Dietary Supplement

If makers sell energy drinks as so-called dietary supplements, they are exempt from submitting safety evaluations to the FDA before the products are marketed, the result of provisions in U.S. law.

``Whether a product goes down the foods approach or the dietary supplement approach is up to the manufacturer, not FDA, as long as they meet the standards as described in the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act,'' Siobhan Delancey, an FDA spokesman, said in an e-mail.

The FDA has no ``hard limit'' on caffeine in soft drinks regulated as foods, she said. The agency generally regards caffeine to be safe in soft drinks if it makes up 0.02 percent or less of the product, measured by weight. That translates to 71 milligrams in a 12-ounce container, according to the Johns Hopkins study.

Americans spent about $5.4 billion on energy drinks in 2006, an amount growing about 47 percent a year, the report said. The drinks are promoted as performance enhancers and aimed at young people.

Red Bull, Rockstar

The Johns Hopkins researchers, who have spent decades researching the effects of caffeine, said such top-sellers as Red Bull had 80 milligrams of caffeine per drink, compared with 35 milligrams in a Coca-Cola Classic. Rockstar, another top seller, had 160 milligrams and No Fear had 174. Others such as Wired X505 had 505 milligrams per drink, Fixx had 500 and Cocaine Energy Drink had 280. A 6-oz cup of brewed coffee ranges from 77 to 150 milligrams, the report said.

A 16-ounce ``grande'' coffee from Starbucks has 330 milligrams of caffeine, according to the company's Web site. Sports drinks, such as Gatorade and Powerade, don't contain caffeine. Powerade Energy Edge, a product sold in Australia and New Zealand, has 108 milligrams of caffeine per 15.2 ounces, according to its Web site. Each tablet of Maximum Strength NoDoz, sold over the counter, has 200 milligrams of caffeine.

The researchers said high-caffeine drinks can lead to abuse of prescription stimulants such as Ritalin.

Mixers for Alcohol

Mixing alcohol with energy drinks has become popular among college students, and the trend has dangerous consequences, said Mary O'Brien, associate professor of emergency medicine and public health sciences at Wake Forest University School of Medicine in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

``The behavior of mixing this with alcohol is actively promoted, and the manufacturers and brewers have capitalized on this behavior,'' O'Brien said. ``Caffeine does not belong as an additive in an alcohol product. It's not the same thing as a rum- and-Coke.''

The caffeine wears off before the alcohol and consumers' motor skills are still impaired, O'Brien said.

The article cites a study that surveyed almost 500 college students and found 51 percent reported drinking at least one energy drink in the last month. Almost one-third of these students reported ``weekly jolt and crash episodes'' and 27 percent said they mixed alcohol with energy drinks at least once in the last month, the report said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Jamie McGee in New York at jmcgee8@bloomberg.net.

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 9:39pm

They'll get you in the rebound around as well.  Be careful out there.     I  Smiley Smiley caffeine.
thebb

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 5:07am

Back in here each energy drink can has simple warning: not for the kids, not for pregnant women, not for diabetics, not for caffeine sensitive people.

But somehow I still see daily kids buying energy drinks - some think of them as another kind of juice or soft drink and they're neither. I don't drink energy drinks off cycle and I don't like the taste so much that I'd buy them otherwise.

I also use caffeine supplements sometimes when I'm in cycle. The jar says: 1 caffeine tablet/day. One tablet has 100mg of caffeine. The similar jar used to say: 1-3 tablets/day, so some regulations have changed since the last jar I bought.

Sanna
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2008 at 6:57am by sandie99 »  

IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 12:52pm

I love caffeine...too bad my body doesn't, but yes, that is sad to see the teenyboppers drinkin it like crazy, as if they are not hyper enough already. I don't give sodas to my kids..they have a hard enough time being reminded to brush their teeth. ( the lil boogers) Smiley

To accept the challenge is the destiny of leadership.
WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!