Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oxygen in Philadelphia? (Read 3032 times)
Avni
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Philadelphia
Oxygen in Philadelphia?
Sep 25th, 2008 at 11:52am

Hi guys, My name is Avni and my husband, Savit has recently been diagnosed with cluster headaches. His current attack started 8 weeks ago. He was on a 2 year remission before that. Your website was wonderful in providing me all the information related to oxygen therapy. His neurologist has prescribed oxygen BUT I am not finding any company that is willing to supply the M tanks in the Philadelphia area. We have a couple of E tanks but he uses them up within a couple of days and the company is not willing to deliver more E tanks. I am interested in getting an M tank since that should last him much longer. I have gone through a long list of medical suppliers and no one is willing to supply M tanks. Is there anyone in the Philadelphia/New Jersey Area who has had success with renting M tanks? If so, names and telephone numbers will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you all.

Avni

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Oxygen in Philadelphia?
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 12:27pm

G'day Avni, and welcome to the nut-hut. Always great to meet  someone who's prepared to help a CHead. I live in a country far, far away from yours so can't comment directly on suppliers, but if you've got all the other gear you might perhaps consider a welding supply shop.  It's the same stuff, after all.

All the best to you and yours,

Brian down under.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Avni
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Philadelphia
Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 12:41pm

Thank you Brian. It is great to be a part of this community. I will look in to your suggestion.

At this point I am desperate for solutions. This has been our first major experience with his cluster headaches. The ones before were minor in comparison. Lasted for a couple of weeks and went away either without medication (since for a long time we thought he had migraines) or a pred taper.

The current one started on the first of August and it is a demon. The headaches were just awful for 4 weeks, real monsters, then they reduced in intensity for 2 weeks and now they are back in full form. Oxygen seems to help the most. He is on Verapamil 160mg. He was on a pred taper too but that did not work. Tried indomethacin and that seems to have made it worse. Oxygen seems to help the most but there are no suppliers with M tanks or I am going about it the wrong away (I am calling a list of medical suppliers approved by my insurance).
I can't even begin to understand the pain he is going through, but I want to help him get the respite he desperately needs.
Thank you for your response.
Wishing you many PF days.
Avni

IP Logged

Howard L
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Timonium, Maryland
Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 8:13pm

I get my oxygen through Lincare which has locations all over the country. They don't have "M" tanks in my area, but they do have "N" tanks which are just a tad smaller. Here in the Baltimore area they give me as many as I need. I have two N tanks at home and they gave me an "E" tank to carry around. Try their location in Philly:

PHILADELPHIA
500 B ABBOTT DRIVE
BROOMALL, PA 19008
Phone: 610-544-6023 FAX: 610-544-6035

IP Logged

fubar
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 8:13pm

Avni,

In my experience, even the O2 suppliers don't have a clue what to do with a CH patient. The don't understand that you need a non-rebreather mask (half don't even know *what* that is) and none of them believe that you need high flow.  It took a lot of arguing on my part, but eventually they agreed to deliver weekly and keep me well-stocked with the E tanks.  You will have a hard time finding bigger tanks unless you want to start buying welder's O2 and adapt the regulator to it. It's not a big deal, and even if you pay for it, it's usually cheaper than a real supplier. The only problem then is delivery, which some places will do.  Welders need the same purity that we do, so it is safe.  Check out the O2 link on the left.

-Shawn

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 11:33pm

Can't help you with the tank question but wanted to give you thumbs up for being such an awesome supporter. My wife's hung with me thriugh 28 years of these damned things, no small job you do being the cheerleader and supporter for him. You guys rock!
Smiley
Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Avni
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Philadelphia
Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 9:21am

Thank you guys for your response! I finally found a supplier right after I posted my cry for help here! The person on the other line knew all about cluster headaches and H tanks and humidifiers. At that point I was ready to kiss her (in fact I ecstatically yelled " I love you" when she confirmed delivery of the H tank this afternoon Smiley
Their information is:
Miller Medical and Respiratory   
Durable Medical Equipment   
401 EAST HUNTING PARK AVENUE
PHILADELPHIA, PA 19124
(215) 739-2238

Thank you guys for the vote of support and the information on oxygen tanks. It is good to know that we have alternative resources in Philly for getting oxygen.
Cheers
Avni

IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 9:46am

thats what i was going to say was that y supplier lincare brings me h tanks as needed plus i have a couple e tanks for the portability.
thanks for supporting a brother clusterhead, our supporters are everything to us.

IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 10:15am

Glad to meet a fellow Philadelphian.  Looks like you got it situated.  I get my o2 through a welding supply co.  If you ever find yourself going that route, just let me know. 

Also....we are trying to get a bunch of us from this area together for a meet and greet and some fun while we are at it.  Let me know if you are interested

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 10:37am

If you ever run into trouble, Apria is my supplier (not sure if they're in Philly), and they give me as many M, E, D, or M6 tanks as I ask for. I think your prescription needs to read "oxygen as needed for cluster headache" or something similar.

IP Logged

Avni
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Philadelphia
Reply #10 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 12:29pm

We would definitely be up for a meet in Philly. Let me know the date and time and we will make it.
H tank delivered Friday afternoon (yeaaay!).
Thank you guys for your help.
Wish you all many PF days.
Avni

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 4:39pm

The Brewers are coming to Philly - they should provide some much needed oxygen and a healthy gust of fresh air, if'n you guys can stand it. Grin

IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #12 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 9:57pm

we're ready for ya Brew.  Quick 2 victories and a one day stop over in Milwaukee before heading to the NLCS Cheesy

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 10:07pm

kevmd wrote on Sep 30th, 2008 at 9:57pm:
we're ready for ya Brew.  Quick 2 victories and a one day stop over in Milwaukee before heading to the NLCS Cheesy

Game on, man!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!