Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new 25lpm o2 reg now what tips please (Read 2184 times)
CH-HELL
Ex Member

new 25lpm o2 reg now what tips please
Sep 26th, 2008 at 12:31am

I got my 25lpm o2 reg. today just got to try it about 45 minutes ago,  so far I am not seeing the results I was so hoping.  I have constant shadows witch spike to a 6-7 kip regularly I normally try to ride these out because they most often subside within minutes,  but 3-4 times a day they spike and keep rising in intensity if it lasts for more than five minutes its going to hang around a half hour if im lucky but they have lasted over four hours before.  My question is should I hit the o2 as soon as I have a shadow spike or stick with my five minute rule?  How long should I stay on the o2?   I just stayed on it for 15-20 min and no relief  I have a non rebreather mask.  Should I expect to get the same time of relief  from the o2 that I get with Imitrex? I Have read all the info but maybe I missed some thing.    thanks,    Phil

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Re: new 25lpm o2 reg now what tips please
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 1:05am

I'm episodic, but it is critical that I get to the O2 as fast as possible. Shadows are always hit or miss for me with O2. Strong coffee works quite well. After a recent K-10 (2hrs) for some reason I grabbed a Coke while the coffee was heating and this blew my shadow away. (?!?) Unless it just stopped, but not likely.

Just got my 25lpm today but haven't tried it yet, could have last nite.
One word, Hyperventilate. Maybe.    Sorry if no help,     Don
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2008 at 1:17am by Skyhawk5 »  

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 4:32am

did not touch my 4am wake up hit Cry

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:33am

It's always worth a try, but hits that wake you out of a sound sleep have often progressed too far for O2 to help.

You should always, always, always hit the O2 at the first sign of trouble. When I do, the hit will be gone in 5-7 minutes.

IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 11:37am

I always try to hit the oxygen at the first sign of a hit.  Much better chance of it working.  In terms of shadows,  I only use the O2 when I know that it is going to morph into a hit.  O2 has never worked for me when the beast wakes me up.  Best of luck.

Regards,

Malcom

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 12:04pm

Quote:
One word, Hyperventilate.

Yes....please try that.  Through the mouth, not the nose.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 1:25pm

Tape the stupid butterfly's closed on the mask. They are on the top. There should be a thin rubber disk to close when you inhale and open when you exhale. They often only have one disc and the other is left open. This will not work, you need only 100% 02. Stay on the 02 for 20 minutes. Get to the 02 at the first sign of a shadow. And what Brew said. Hyperventelate like Linda said.
all the best Cool
the bb

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 6:39pm

Thanks every one I have tried it three times with no relief, I am hyperventalating and cover the holes in my mask with my fingers but I will tape them thanks thebbz.  This may sound stupid but what about exhaling,  should I be exhaling in the mask?  Phil

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 6:43pm

Not if there's any chance your exhaled breath is getting into the bag.

Just to be safe, I remove the mouthpiece (or mask) slightly from my mouth and just exhale into the room.

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:10pm

Thanks for not trashing me Brew,  thanks for the advise.  This is what I have been doing I grasp the non-rebreather mask in my hand the strap seems to go across my temple and is irreatating I make a good seal on my face with the mask Inhale through my mouth a deep breath nearly emptying the bag witch is hard to do at 25lpm, then I break the seal to exhale and repeat.  If this isn't working is it worth buying a different o2 mask?  Phil

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:32pm

Give the "trashing" stuff a rest, dude.

Here. This is the Cadillac of non-rebreather masks:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It would be well worth the $25 or $60 (two models).

Edited to add: Forgot to tell you - if you keep the mask you have, cut off that strap. If you were to fall asleep with it on and you run out of O2, you could suffocate.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:34pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:50pm

Thanks Brew I will check on those masks and I was being sincere about the trashing I thought my question sounded stupid and you gave me the exact info I needed. Brew I also shot you a rep piont.
Thanks,  Phil

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 9:53pm

Get the other mask.  Smiley
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!